Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 265 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #140098 10/10/12 08:17 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N

Ds9 is in 4th grade now - I still can hardly believe it's been so long since he started K !! He's been grade accelerated in math since 1st grade. This year, because of scheduling conflicts, he goes to 5th grade for all specials, as well as for math. Seems to be going OK for now - he even has a part in the 5th grade music program - which should be interesting to see - he's already the shortest kid in 4th grade, so I can't imagine how he'll look standing next to all the 5th graders LOL
    He just got 100% on his first 5th grade math assessment - he claims it's easy. Think I need to start doing some afterschooling in math again.
    Just really checking in to see how all the other4th graders are doing now that the first quarter of school is over/almost over smile

NCPMom #140391 10/14/12 06:24 PM
    Thanks for the update NCPMom! Glad to hear he is doing well and seems like he's having fun. Maybe platform heels will come back in style for boys?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    NCPMom #140406 10/15/12 05:58 AM
    P
    P
    My DD8 is a 4th grader too. (She skipped K). The old school's TAG program wasn't doing much (although they did Khan's academy after much probing :-)

Now, the new school has TAG pull out for Math and Language arts everyday and they are doing 5th grade curriculum. So, My DD and other 2 girls in her class attend TAG classes (5-6 TAG students in other classes) together almost all morning and join the regular class in the afternoon.

The Math is fast pace and they also do problem solving skills (Math Olympiad questions) and My DD enjoys it a lot. They have awesome arts and music teacher as well.

Now, I don't have to advocate at school. It's in cruise control right now. I just sit back, relax (hopefully this whole year).

NCPMom #140417 10/15/12 07:52 AM
    C
    C
    I'll put DS8 in this box as although it's not called 4th grade here (and the students are perhaps a little younger: DS isn't skipped) it's the fifth year of formal schooling.

It's going well so far. DS is now being taught maths by the school's head of maths; I don't feel I know him well yet, but he seems good, and there are some advantages to his connection to the head of department being direct.

He has struggled with handwriting, but he now has his "pen licence" and I'm told he's doing fine, and doesn't need to have allowances made for him any more. He still finds it frustrating, probably always will, but I'm glad his teachers aren't bothered by it any more, at least!

Socially this year seems to be good, too. So, fingers crossed it all stays this smooth...

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    NCPMom #142345 11/06/12 02:12 PM
    M
    M
    DD9 is doing well in 4th grade. She's getting differentiated work in math as part of a small group (and it really is differentiated this time), and her reading/language arts are generally at a good level for her. She can discuss books at a much higher level if she can listen to them rather than reading them herself, but the books she's reading in class are at a just right level for her to read. Plus, she's in a great place socially. I'm looking forward to conferences in a few weeks.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs