Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 156 guests, and 42 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    A few things I've been wondering about lately if anyone wants to discuss:

1. Does a long attention span lead to higher scores on IQ tests, and if so, is that a reflection of relationship between attention span and a true increase in whatever it is that we hope IQ actually measures, or does it just result in better test taking?

2. Do you think the attention span of your child has been modified by environment or is it more of a product of genetics? (Which do you think has contributed more?

M
    M
    "attention span" and "memory" are complex beasts. I would have told you that my eldest had a great attention span and an amazing memory. And there are ways in which that is absolutely true. The first time she did the WISC her WMI was 13th percentile and the tester suggested her behaviour was classic ADD (and then came up with ridiculous reasons why she did NOT have ADD despite the glaringly obvious signs, still cranky about the first tester). I was completely perplexed that my child with the memory like an elephant and great attention span had no WMI to speak of and apparently presented ADD. But 3yrs and a lot of research later I understand that she DOES have a great long term memory, and a poor working memory. She is capable of hyper focus and great seeming attention span under the right circumstances, but she also has ADD.

We have managed to improve her working memory and some of the symptoms of her ADD and it has made a profound difference to her academic success. It hasn't change her test scores much (apart from her WMI scores, which are variable, pretty good on a good day and still poor, but not atrocious, on a bad day). Her VCI is has been margin-of-error stable across three IQ tests in 3 years (WISC4 at 7, SB5 at 9, WISC at 10), her Non Verbal has come up on the second two tests, I would say mostly due to remediation we have done in that time. Her NV results were strongest on the SB, which just seemed to suit her better.

I think her earlier state (ADD, probably Aspergers, crap WM, dyslexia) was/is mostly down to genetics. Lots of remediation & environmental support has improved her functioning.

Z
    Z
    I think you can start with the dice loaded on attention span, but it is also a trainable skill. One of the biggest factors on attention is interest, finding a wider range of things interesting or finding ways view anything you encounter as interesting can help in managing attention span. Intense generalized curiosity seems to be something people are wired for in different measures and that benefits interest and attention.

Focus is an important part of intelligence and not just the measure of it. Kinda like bringing the engines online one at a time, the more focus the more processing. Also intense attention can take over the mind to the exclusion of background tasks like remembering where you just set your keys.

It seems there is a whole other type of attention span as in the type that makes people successful: Staying on task over very long periods of time like working a job and always being "on" even at home.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs