Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #139735 10/04/12 09:47 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi all. I am meeting with my dd4's peek teacher next Wednesday. Dd has been coming home saying that school is the most boring place on the face of the earth. I don't think they have learned anything that she didn't already know at 18 months. I am a teacher myself. I think her teacher may hate me already. I tried to warn her. Lol. I just need dd challenged in some way. Tray puzzles will not entertain a kid that was doing 200 piece puzzles by her third birthday. So the teacher asked me what suggestions I have. While tempted to tell her that this is HER job. I suppose I should think some up. Ideas?

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    well same situation here!

and i gave my ds5.11 kinder teacher suggestions, and she just blinked at me. not apparently willing to do anything for him, i had thought the curricula would be diffentiated as needed for him, but not so far.

i finally met with the principal and said please, in just one subject- reading perhaps- could you give him books that are at least at his reading level so he will feel successful in at least one area- because he is learning new stuff, VS the picture books (predecodables) he is forced to read at with rest of class...(he's been reading for years now. literally.),
    i was told YES,

that was approx 2wks ago. no change.

so, in jan 2013,
    i am putting him in a different school, in 1st grade.
    it is the only solution for this situation...

one other thing i asked teacher for was different more challenging homework. NO. more computer time, when he class is doing something he already knows. NO. having him help teacher with the kids who need help. NO.

*sigh*

good luck to you and let us know what if any solutions you discuss with teacher and what teacher is willing to do. my sons teacher is supposed to be one of the best (and i really do actually like her!) but gosh i'd hate to see what a teacher who wasn't considered to be too good, was like!

take care

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Since the teacher asked you for suggestions, I'd say you have a chance to make the day better for your DD, if not as challenging as she needs it to be. Some things that might work or have worked for my kids in the past:

- instead of practice writing letters or her name, work on writing color or shape or other sight words, or - if she is ready for even more - have her write short sentences, working up to several short sentences. This should take no longer, really, than the other kids' writing practice.

- send in a few books that are at your DD's reading level that would be just for her or that you could donate to the classroom

- donate to the classroom some individual creative thinking games, like tangrams or Rush Hour that she could play with during free time, or encourage her to build with blocks or legos.

- encourage open-ended art projects (not prescribed craft projects) using many various art materials

- encourage the teacher to get a larger range of puzzles or, again, send in or donate puzzles at your DD's level. Even if other kids aren't ready for the bigger puzzles, they could work together on them or just work on sections of them.

I think it's great that your teacher is at least asking if there is anything more she can be doing. We have found a varying degree of willingness to adjust what happens in the classroom and in pre-K, especially if it in not mandatory schooling, teachers sometimes feel no obligation to offer more or different for one child. But we have found some success with activities that our child could do at the same time as the other kids doing their activities, just at a higher level, so it doesn't interrupt the classroom schedule.

Hope it starts to go better for your DD!

She thought she could, so she did.
    I forgot to ask: How is the social level for your DD? Is she advanced in that area as well or is she with a good group of social-peers? Also, how old is she compared to the other children in her class? If the social fit is also poor, could you look into moving her into a K classroom? K offers the same opportunities as pre-K for learning school, with all its emphasis on sitting still and following rules and lining up and listening to a teacher, but with possible slightly more appropriate academic challenges. Just something to think about.

She thought she could, so she did.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM