Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    cletus Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hello,

I could use some help interpreting WISC IV scores and overall.

I have an 8th grade son, who we had evaluated in 1st grade and now this past summer (upon recommendation of his school). The first grade eval didn’t show much but this past one shows more.

My questions are…..any advice we should definitely look for as we write an IEP (so far the school is supporting this)? And any advice on interpreting his scores? What does the large discrepancy in scores mean? (Dif btwn Verbal Comp & Processing Speed—or should I only compare Verbal Com & Perceptual Org?) How big of a deal is this discrepancy?

I’ve looked online and talked a bit with the evaluator but you all seem to have a better way of saying things. Especially helpful in talking with the school (PE teacher, for one!)

He’s lucky in that the last few years he’s been in a challenging gifted program. He has trouble with exec functioning and lots of trouble in PE (not very athletic, overly sensitive to sounds like ball bouncing, rule following).

His diagnosis was Non-Verbal Learning Disorder but for accepted diagnoses sake was listed as PDD-NOS and ADHD (inattentive).

I’d be glad to give more test results if that helps. Conferences are this week and they should have his IEP ready in the next few weeks. Huge thanks for any advice/interpretation!!!!

Verbal Comp: 150
    Perceptual Org: 119
    Full Scale IQ: 127
    Processing Speed: 88
    Working Memory:116

K
    K
    I'm not a testing expert. I'm surprised that they reported a FSIQ given his huge discrepancies. I'm not even sure if GAI is reflective of his abilities given the huge gap between the VCI and PRI. I would assume that he has issues with output and that low processing speed is a major road block for him.

Could you give more info re his executive function challenges and the issues at PE? It might help people give more specific recommendations re accommodations.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations