Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Another interesting sequelae to this kind of interest seems (well, okay-- anecdotally) to be an eventual interest in and participation in RPG gaming during preteen/teen years (and in some cases beyond).

In that case, I think that interest in this book series can serve as an early indicator that kids have that set of interests and innate needs (socially and intellectually).

These kind of things also go into my box of "things that did not help my life at all" and are included in the box of "years of my life that I wish I could get back.""

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I think that they just-- among girls, that is-- disproportionately appeal to more androgynous/bright children who tend to reject typical gender stereotype-driven culture. Boys who don't like guns and superhero play, for example, and girls who aren't into pink and codependent princesses, seem to find animal personification a great alternative.

I think it's entirely possible that part of the appeal for female children in this particular context is about the social connection serving as a sort of secret club password. This was a significant means for my DD to establish who was most likely to be "friend" material for her and who wasn't. It still serves that way as a point of shared history, to some extent.

What a great insight. You are absolutely describing my DD, who has verbally and specifically rejected gender stereotypes since she was tiny. Admittedly, some of this is probably my influence, but I have heard things come out of her mouth that I know for certain she didn't hear from me. Also, she is pining for a Warriors "club" and goes around asking other kids if they read the books. She's desperately trying to get her best male friend into them (no luck--he's a Harry Potter dude).

Now there's a question--is there a difference between Harry Potter kids and Warriors kids, or do they generally overlap? (DD won't read HP, partly due to resistance to the perceived male focus, partly due to fear of them being scary, partly due to being intentionally resistant to things she perceives as very popular. I think she'll eventually cave and will enjoy them, though I will discourage from reading past book 4 till she's a little older.)

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I admit, I'm more than slightly wary of the RPG thing. DH and I are completely unfamiliar with that world but my impression is that it can be extremely addictive.

S
    S
    Just for reference, in case anybody thought about trying Goodkind's series, I think the rape/gory death/torture scenes would be much more problematic for the age range under consideration than the politics (and I am currently standing in front of the shelf holding volumes 1-4 of the series).

I got lost on the reading level requirement, but after spending all of last year labeling all the children books in the house by AR/lexile levels it turns out that interest trumps numbers (and that runs both ways). I also probably haven't read a single book at my reading level since I left college, except maybe that book I had to read for an American history class last year. I like to think I am still evolving as a reader.

Strong female protagonists, albeit usually in male-dominated fantasy settings (so that there is a lot about girls proving their value -- your daughter might want something past that?): anything by Tamora Pierce.

In a completely different vein, but sometimes the way to break through a series addiction (and I am a big re-reader, so I understand the pull) is to switch to something completely different, Pratchett's Discworld, starting with the witches books. There is a later sub-sub-thread with a younger witch which might be more appealing to a younger child than the first few Witches books (although the first, Equal Rites, is about a young girl who is told she cannot be a wizard).

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I admit, I'm more than slightly wary of the RPG thing. DH and I are completely unfamiliar with that world but my impression is that it can be extremely addictive.

Based on my experiences, it sucks up time and provides no benefit.

So, I put it in the same box as computer games and sci-fi/fantasy books.

W
    W
    I am in agreement that it is nothing to worry about. I was Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden obsessed as a kid, yet am very well read now. (I even finished the Proust years ago)

Sometimes I have the same worry about DD8, she did read Rainbow Fairies back when, though she hated Harry Potter this summer. But then finds something like Dear Diary she won't put down. As long as she keeps reading.

Originally Posted by JonLaw

Individual results will vary. All things in moderation... including moderation.

For me, those activities sucked up a lot of time during phases of my life where I had a lot of time that already sucked.

Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by JonLaw

Individual results will vary. All things in moderation... including moderation.

For me, those activities sucked up a lot of time during phases of my life where I had a lot of time that already sucked.

Yes, if there's really nothing better to do then you aren't losing anything because there's nothing to lose.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    The series I obsessively reread were the L. M. Montgomery books--although they actually are a bit pulpy in bits, they're pretty high quality. I was also not a fantasy or sci-fi kid, though I logged some time with Hitchhiker's Guide (so funny), Susan Cooper (wish I could get DD to read these!) and Tolkien. DH also had no interest in this stuff at all. So DD may be in uncharted territory if this is where her interest goes, although my brother is a huge Tolkien nerd.

She will love Watership Down, I'm 100% sure. But it's dark and sad in places, IIRC. I don't know if she's ready.

I'm so happy that my DS's Warriors phase was short-lived. I read part of the first one, and thought it was pretty good, then we couldn't get the books in order at the library so got maybe the 4th one? And it was just horribly written. I avoided that one at bedtime when we normally read a chapter aloud to DS (though now we've hit the "you read too slowly" phase so he reads to himself).

I've got a great next series for you to try, with a strong female lead, not girly in the least: Leviathan steampunk series by Scott Westerfeld. I started reading that aloud to DS8 when he had stopped reading for a bit, and it got him hooked. He's now finishing Westerfeld's Uglies series, which kids who liked the Hunger Games will probably like. [ETA: These are both YA series, but very tame and not about romance- perhaps one innocent kiss per book.]

ETA: I don't think there's any problem with re-reading books (though I think the only books I've ever re-read were LOTR). But it's kind of fun to seek out new series too. Good luck!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 10/03/12 12:39 PM.
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM