Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #138837 09/24/12 09:57 AM
    M
    MommaM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi everyone. I am glad I came upon this forum and am hoping that someone may have advice for me. My 2nd son is very bright. Last year his fall MAP score in 1st grade reading was 200 and spring score of 205 and math was 198. Last year we began hearing from his teacher that he had difficulty focusing in the classroom and was often off task. Initially, she had said he was bored and was trying to give him more challenging work which was in the form of paperwork, something he does not like. We tried working with the teacher but it seemed as if she was always relying on us to tell her what to do. This year started off good but now I just received a note saying the same thing. All his grades are 100%, so I know he is getting the information. We have not received any results on this years MAP testing. Unfortunately, we do not have a gifted program or even options for students who are advanced (teach to the average). I am waiting to hear the words ADD from the school, which both my husband and I do not feel he has. Sorry to ramble on, I guess what I am getting at is, are those scores considered advanced and if so what can we do to help ensure continued growth and improve focus. On a side note, his pediatrician, who has seen him since birth does not feel it is ADD. Thanks in advance.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Would they let him skip a grade? Marks of 100% are never good. (lol, how bizarre would that sound to some people wink )

I can't imagine how anyone could see perfect marks and a bored child and think "ADD," but then again... the world is a strange place. I'd ask for a meeting with the school to see if your son could be moved up to the next grade.

M
    MommaM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Our school strongly discourages any advancement, as did our pediatrician oddly. Socially, he fits in well with his class, but academically he is definitely not challenged. My husband and I use events and opportunities in the community to engage him in other ways. I guess I get frustrated because last year and now this year the teachers' start discussing about him lacking focus on work and being distracted, but his scores and grades show otherwise, as well as his behavior at home. We want to help him the best way we can but it is hard when you are limited by the school. I try to be positive when working with the teachers but find it hard when suggestions or plans are only that and not acted on.

E
    E
    I completely understand why you (and your ds) are frustrated! I don't have very much practical advice since I'm new at this. Add us to the no GT program options also. I would start keeping careful notes of all your discussions with the teacher, pedi, and school to defend any "ADHD" talk.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations