Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    Bee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Oh one other thing, are you meant to submit the low scores as well? I'm guessing yes as it all comes in one report because it was done for his IEP, not privately. Are the low scores going to hurt his chances?

S
    S
    Looks like the DYS website has a Q&A page. http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...rs___Frequently_Asked_Questions_381.aspx

Q. What if my child does not meet the minimum qualification criteria?
    As we strive to serve the extreme of the gifted population, the scores listed on our website are considered to be the minimum in terms of eligibility requirements. However, we recognize that testing is only a small snapshot of a whole child and we take the entire application into consideration when determining eligibility. If the tester feels there were extraneous circumstances preventing a child from meeting the minimum criteria, a letter from the tester included with the application to explain the test scores will be considered in the review process. Many very bright students may not meet our qualification criteria for this program, but are likely to benefit from the information and resources that the Davidson Institute makes available to the public via our websites, including our searchable Davidson Gifted Database, the public Gifted Issues discussion forum, and several guidebooks.

Q. What is the review committee looking for in a portfolio?
    The committee is looking for a portfolio that will, in essence, override the absence of IQ or achievement scores. Work samples need to clearly demonstrate the child is working at least two to three grade levels above age peers in academic areas including math, science, social studies, or writing. The Review Committee prefers handwritten examples as they allow them to better gauge the child’s level of ability and independence. However, you can submit typed assignments with teacher grades and comments. Each work sample should include the date and age of the child when it was completed as well as the context for when and how the work was created. You can also submit workbook pages that are two to three years advanced for the student’s age.

It can't hurt to apply with additional portfolio items, but I would include the current scores as well. I don't mean to be unsupportive, and tend to agree with lucounu that they appear to have a wider net than the name and score cuts suggest. I should probably suggest several of my students apply, as I have several in this range.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bee
    Thank you for your help smile

Polarbear, he is very slow, not just on the tests, but in general. His final IEP meeting is this week and they are going to recommend extra time. It also isn't a big surprise that his achievement tests aren't extremely high, he isn't accelerated and is lazy and is worn out by the time he gets home and rarely wants to do anything. I really want to take him to the jet propulsion lab in pasadena this weekend, it is a bit of a trek but I think he will love it. Perhaps I should take my camera just in case!

Just a thought, and I may be totally off, but have you considered getting him tested for the other things you mentioned in your first post? Sometimes "lazy" is exhausted from working so hard to do something that takes minimal effort from someone else. My son has dysgraphia, and when he comes home, he often will just lay on the couch for a half hour just to rest. If there is something going on with processing, it will make someone slow at things. Just a thought - it might be worth checking.

B
    Bee Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Sharon, thank you for the post. He does meet the criteria in one area on the wisc iv, verbal he got an overall 146 once the psychologist redid it with extended norms on one test. I did see the FAQ, I was really looking for ideas, I was coming up with blanks.

I have found that several high school chemistry II classes/ap chem (he is in 5th for another week so high school should be high enough) have assigned the book he is reading and have set assignments on it online. I have read through a couple and think he could answer the assignment. How about that? Also maybe video him reading a passage he enjoys about it.

ABQmom, I agree, I have said all along that he expends so much energy just being in the environment at school that he just gets tired. Usually his behaviour goes downhill towards the end of the year as he is getting more worn out. This goes beyond that though, he is slow to make decisions about things he likes to do, he is slow choosing between strawberry and vanilla ice-cream (as in he would take five minutes if we let him) he is extremely slow eating, even stuff he loves, putting on his shoes... anything really. He has his physical this summer, I think I will mention it to his paed. Thank you.

Last edited by Bee; 06/05/12 07:59 AM.
    B
    B
    I would like to know why you think your child is "lazy" and "worn-out" these are two conflicting dispositions. Have you thought about a Vision Screening for Vision Therapy to see if he may have some issues that are not related to motivation? www.covd.org; is a good place to start. Has he had OT evaluations to rule out Sensory Integration issues that would have him appear to be less than normal energy levels? There are alot more to children than labels. And you are his only advocate.

B
    B
    I would like to know why you think your child is "lazy" and "worn-out" these are two conflicting dispositions. Have you thought about a Vision Screening for Vision Therapy to see if he may have some issues that are not related to motivation? www.covd.org; is a good place to start. Has he had OT evaluations to rule out Sensory Integration issues that would have him appear to be less than normal energy levels? There are alot more to children than labels. And you are his only advocate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM