Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #138372 09/17/12 12:27 PM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    How much TV do you let your kids watch each day?

How much TV?
    single choice
    Votes accepted starting: 09/17/12 12:27 PM
    You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
    It varies.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    M
    M
    I'll be honest ... I am 100% positive that my kids wouldn't know half the stuff they know if it wasn't for educational tv shows. So I have no problem with them. (thank you Leapfrog videos, Word World, Super Why, Team Umizoomi, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Dora & Diego, Handy Manny and all those I forgot to mention for broadening my children's knowledge base! lol)

M
    M
    It varies for us as well. Some days they watch no t.v., some days just a 30 min show, and some days a movie (usually on the weekend). But everything they watch is educational or age appropriate and no commercials.

K
    K
    DS floored his Music Together teacher with all the musical terms and knowledge about composers he could spout off at age two thanks to Little
    Einsteins. When he was asked to share a word that started started with B,
    He replied Blue Footed Baby Booby Bird and that's aliteration! I am convinced he learned to read from Super Why before he was 2.

At almost 4 he watches about 1.5 hours a day and like MK13's kids he has learned many educational things from tv. The rest of his day is very active
    And he will also do imaginative play along with his shows.

A
    A
    We don't have a TV, so that was easy.

Once homework, practicing his music and chores are completed, my son's time is his own, however, on his computer or Xbox.

Why the survey?

Hmmm... and what AGES of kids?

This number has varied quite widely over the years. DD, now 13, generally watches only a handful of hours weekly at this point, but as others have observed, this doesn't account for much of her screen time overall, as she'd much rather spend time on the computer than passively watching TV.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

I know that my kids watch way too much TV.

As long as they aren't playing computer or video games. That's what killed me. TV, not so much.

Originally Posted by UConn
    TV viewing does not begin at an earlier age. However, gifted preschool children have been found to watch significantly more hours of television per week than nongifted children (Abelman & Rogers, 1987). Because of their ability to coordinate and comprehend television information, most of their viewing is active—that is, gifted children are less likely to sit in front of the television set mesmerized and confused by programming and are more likely to be involved in program content and story line.

Short version.
    http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/abelman.html

Long version.
    http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/nrcgt/reports/rbdm9206/rbdm9206.pdf

YMMV

In my house we use tv in many different ways.  For entertainment or to relax under, and for education and for background noise.   Plus we go to the cinema, and we have a DVD player in our car.  Yes, even the almost 2 year old sat through the entire Lorax five times at the dollar cinema, watching the movie.  "How ba-a-a-d can I be?  I'm just doing what  comes naturally"... 
    Last summer, season of the Superhero movies at the Cinema, I was able to watch a few of them.  My daughter didn't let me watch the rest of them. When it became a bother I skipped the movie and walked the mall but my son saw every super hero movie that summer in the Cinema with Grandpa.  He's almost 5 now.   He loves the movie theater.  We love the tv.  We love the Internet.  My son learned how to read online.  I just bought an iCan Play piano video game so he can learn how to play piano on tv.  (dec. be here soon).  

the research linked above did not affect my tv viewing habits.  I posted it because why else would you ask, even though choices a, b, & c show me you don't love tv

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    M
    M
    and I have to add .... tv characters are so much more entertaining than most teachers in my kids' lives ever will be ... so no wonder they learn from the shows so much!

also, I speak to the boys probably 80% of the time in Czech ... they learn their English from TV ... and DS4's vocab is unbelievable to some of our friends. (at 2.5 he'd rather say something was "difficult" than "hard", etc.)

I do agree that there might be some relation between gifted kids learning from TV as opposed to other kids who just zone out and don't get that much out of the shows ... seeing my kids sitting next to our friends' kids there is a huge difference in what the get from the shows. DS4 will tell you all he's learned from the show, our friend's daughter just remembers she saw something and if you really insist on getting an answer, she might remember the name of the show.

Last edited by Mk13; 09/17/12 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations