Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    So, Bostonian, have you told him that those differences have dramatically lessened over the past 20 years?

As I said, I have not discussed the topic with him. When he noted the sex difference in average scores, I just pointed out that there was considerable overlap in the two distributions.

A
    A
    What got my DD9 interested in Lego was watching the Feminist Frequency videos that discussed the STEM skills that playing with Lego develops, and how Lego's marketing had changed over time to position Lego as "not for girls." The idea that The Man was keeping her down really lit a fire under her.

Ditto for articles explaining how girls are societally conditioned to give up / assume they aren't smart enough, and boys are conditioned to work harder.

She had camp at the Air & Space Museum this summer, and the K-3rd grade group was about evenly split between boys and girls. She was in the 4th-6th group, which did some activities with the 7th-12th group, and there was at least one week where there was only one other girl in both older groups combined. What made the difference there was having a few weeks where there were at least 2 other girls in her age group, and having one of the adult woman coordinators take DD under her wing after DD had an anxiety attack right before camp.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Ditto for articles explaining how girls are societally conditioned to give up / assume they aren't smart enough, and boys are conditioned to work harder.
    If such conditioning were widespread and effective, you would not
    expect to see a much higher percentage of females than males getting bachelor's degrees, as is currently the case in the U.S.

O
    O
    According to this particular article in the NY Times (data as of March 2012), there is still a 0.7% gap, males over females holding bachelor’s degrees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/education/census-finds-bachelors-degrees-at-record-level.html

Agreeing with what Bostonian stated though, women are 60 percent more likely than men to earn a bachelor's degree by the time they are 23 according to the article linked below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/10/post_644_n_821577.html

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    According to this particular article in the NY Times (data as of March 2012), there is still a 0.7% gap, males over females holding bachelor’s degrees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/education/census-finds-bachelors-degrees-at-record-level.html

Agreeing with what Bostonian stated though, women are 60 percent more likely than men to earn a bachelor's degree by the time they are 23 according to the article linked below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/10/post_644_n_821577.html

Right, I had the second source in mind, since it refers to current degree attainment.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    If such conditioning were widespread and effective, you would not
    expect to see a much higher percentage of females than males getting bachelor's degrees, as is currently the case in the U.S.

No, you'd expect to see more girls getting degrees in "easy" fields, and more boys getting degrees in "hard" fields. "Give up" doesn't mean "drop out of school." It means, "You got a 37 on your first physics-for-engineering-majors exam, so decided to major in [some non-science field] instead."

For example, http://www.econ.uconn.edu/seminars/20082009/papers/zafar08.pdf
    Enjoying working at the jobs and learning more about things that interest me were the two most important reasons for choosing a major for both males and females. However, females, on average assign higher weights to this reason (the gender difference is significant). For males, the third most important stated reason for choosing a major is getting a high-paying job. Conversely, doing well in the coursework is the third most important reason for females.

Also mentioned in that study is the belief (held by both men and women) that women are treated most-worst compared to how men are treated in STEM fields. IMHO, Engineer Barbie and "oops, that's my lipstick not a test tube" biologist just exacerbate that belief - girls conclude that everyone in the lab will assume they're like that, and treat them accordingly.

B
    B
    The abstract of the paper you cite refutes the idea that sex differences in choosing STEM careers are due to girls being conditioned to assume they are not smart enough:

"Gender differences in beliefs about academic ability explain a small and insignificant part of the gap; this allows me to rule out females being low in self-confidence as a possible explanation for their under-representation in the sciences. Conversely, most of the gender gap is due to differences in beliefs about enjoying coursework, and preferences."

For some strange reason, this thread inspired me to revisit Gaston's song with my now teenaged daughter.

A close friend and I used to sing show tunes in the lab. Gaston (from Beauty and the Beast) was a perennial favorite. Gilbert and Sullivan were also particularly fertile territory. Well, and Tom Lehrer. Which sort of goes without saying, really.

I never applied any lipstick at work, so it really wasn't a problem mixing that up with the P-32 pig or the high-speed centrifuge tubes.

Anyone for a chorus of "Nitrile is a Girl's Best Friend?"

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    "While the defining characteristics of femininity are not universally identical, some patterns exist. Gentleness, empathy, sensitivity, caring, sweetness, compassion, tolerance, nurturance, deference, and succorance are behaviors generally considered feminine."

I think I vomited in my mouth a little.

Lol, yeah, I definitely don't get the 'deference' bit, but most of the other stuff doesn't sound bad for any sort of human to exhibit, female or male.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    Lol, yeah, I definitely don't get the 'deference' bit, but most of the other stuff doesn't sound bad for any sort of human to exhibit, female or male.

Deference likely being a reference throughout history and influenced by Biblical directive, not necessarily modern day typical practice.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM