Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 172 guests, and 43 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #137444 09/07/12 01:22 PM
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My son has to read the news first thing in the morning on his iPhone and he falls asleep listening to CNN. He always wants to discuss things that are happening in the world. He is very interested in politics and legal issues and debates, but also music and even art. This addiction had led to all kinds of learning that most of the kids his age aren't that interested in--sociology, psychology, economics, etc. Science and technology news have always interested him.

We never restricted video games because he is not addicted to them. If he is addicted to anything, it is the news.

I am not sure if the news really qualifies as an addiction. He says he has never gotten any kind of "dopamine squirt" from playing games or anything else except possibly those few moments when he takes off his brace and he is without pain.

I have trouble getting him to take time away from all of these other interests to do math. It is so hard to get him to stop looking up more information on whatever he is learning because I am really happy for him that he is this interested in something that takes his mind off the pain. I think I even read somewhere that math, pain and anxiety used the same part of the brain but don't have time to look it up.

Anyone else with a kid who seems addicted to the news?

Not my kid, but I've definitly had news addiction issues... I think it's a bit like with email, you keep hoping for new details on some story, and SOMETIMES there are new details.

Of all the possible addictions in the world, I'm pretty ok with this one, but I do try to keep it from getting totally out of hand.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Not news specifically, but definitely specific obsessions into which they delve deeper than their age peers. (I'm like Michaela in that I'm the news junkie of the family).

I
    I
    I am going to guess that he is a teen if he has an iPhone. If he has Quiz Bowl at his high school, he should try it... this addiction will serve him very well in that arena. smile

If it is distracting from his homework, you probably need to encourage him to use it as a reward for himself ("I will finish my math homework, then check Google News or BBC for 10 minutes before going on to my English paper"). I am an adult news junkie, and do this myself sometimes.

I know I'm Letting it get out of hand when I can't sleep withthe radio off. um... yeah, anyway...

I try to pay attention to what _kind_ of news I'm listening to. When I start "following" a story, I know I'm on the wrong track, but when I'm paying attention to kinda just everything with no big focus on anything particular,I'm usually ok. It's like having a food addiciton... you can't go cold turkey!

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Lori H.
    My son has to read the news first thing in the morning on his iPhone and he falls asleep listening to CNN. He always wants to discuss things that are happening in the world. He is very interested in politics and legal issues and debates, but also music and even art. This addiction had led to all kinds of learning that most of the kids his age aren't that interested in--sociology, psychology, economics, etc. Science and technology news have always interested him.

Much political news, especially near an election, is about handicapping the race rather than analyzing the candidates' positions and philosophies. Instead of following "news" incessantly, it is probably more instructive to read original sources, for example the texts of Obama's and Romney's speeches at the conventions and the texts of the party platforms. This will be the first election that my 9yo can at least partially understand. I may have him watch the debates.

I was, until I ran into news stories about things I was at.

The stories were completely wrong.

Cured me of believing what was on the news or in print.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent