Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Like fwtxmom, few of my classmates appreciated formal tutoring. Oh, sure-- they mostly enjoyed having me as a member of their GROUP for group work. More than a few wanted to sit close to me-- for a not-terribly popular kid, there sure was a lot of jostling for those five seats to the sides and behind me. (Not that I'm cynical or anything, but I still remember being chewed out by a total queen Bee in junior high for not being more accommodating during a quiz. Chutzpah, much?) Of course on the plus side, I became pretty convinced that those kids had little of any authenticity to offer me to begin with, and that I was actually better off WITHOUT them.

Having the teacher tell them to listen to me? No way, and it wouldn't have helped anyway since my learning style was so reading and writing intensive. (Again, like fwtxmom.) I do recall being sent to be a 'reading buddy' or some such thing to the Kindy classrooms as a 4th-6th grader, though.

Many of my K-12 teachers eyed me with avaricious, poorly-concealed GLEE once they figured out that I knew how to run a large-batch photocopier and replace both ink and toner in a hand-crank mimeograph before I was eight. (Teacher's kid, here.) I could also fix most problems with overhead projectors and reel-to-reel projectors and recorders.

Yeah. I spent a lot of time at the office making copies, collating (before run-of-the-mill copiers did that) and generally being actually useful. I similarly enjoyed being away from the classroom.

I was also a VERY fast grader with a key-- and accurate. So I graded papers for teachers starting in about fourth grade. I'd been doing my mom's since I was six.

My favorite of those jobs was filing for the high school band program, though-- LOVED doing that. Just me and all the sheet music in a big walk-in storage closet. What a lovely island of relative peace each morning. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    frown Yeah.

Casting back through my memory, I do remember a positive tutoring experience. I formally tutored a friend in a foreign language. I'm very good with languages, and she was very bad (I think she had an LD, actually). It did strengthen my command of the skills to tutor her. But we were both quite mature and we liked each other. IIRC, we also giggled and chitchatted a fair bit.

I just think it's a lot to ask. I am not a natural teacher, even though I'm quite social. Maybe that's my bias here. I know I'm not good at it. I dislike helping with homework. I constantly feel like I'm either giving too much help or not enough. (DD would say not enough.)

D
    D
    Guess I had it good. I was allowed to use extra time to:
    --go to the library to make stop-action animated films and slide shows
    --diagram sentences
    --do logic problems
    --read a large novel I kept in my desk
    --make elaborate maps

I was far too introverted and bully-bait to be asked to help other kids with their work. (Could have used the social-skills support and practice, really.) But there are plenty of productive things to give a child who is done with her work.

DeeDee

ETA: now that I think about it, the stop-action film was a collaborative project, one of the few joint efforts I remember enjoying.

Last edited by DeeDee; 09/10/12 08:25 AM.
    Z
    Z
    Since the topic is some overlooked negatives:
    - Gaining social acceptance by letting others copy
    - Being held up as an example of a good student based on grades when you are really a bad example with poor academic skills and just smart
    - Asking questions to expand one's understanding that waste other's in the class's time who have not a clue what you are talking about
    - Coping by becoming more introverted and socially isolated
    - Having poor expectations about others
    - Moving backwards in moral development by the social pressure from kids still at punishment and selfish motivation stages

O
    O
    Dumbing down to fit into the class and be accepted is often an unrealized drawback of a GT child who is most often in the normal class setting.

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    The founding fathers apparently wanted a public school system to create an educated citizenry-- i.e. not only that the citizens would know things, but that they would also be moved to use what they knew for the good of community and country. I won't argue with you that academics are a primary purpose of schooling, but I think they are not the only primary purpose. A lot goes on in an education, IMO.

Obviously, there is a lot of room to differ on this point.
    DeeDee

I just read this two nights ago... how convenient. This says that at least one founding father (plus all the ones who approved this passage unanimously and unaltered, unanimously) found many reasons for education.

Wisdom and knowledge, as well as virtue, diffused generally among the body of the people, being necessary for the preservation of their rights and liberties; and as these depend on spreading the opportunities and advantages of education in the various parts of the country, and among the different orders of the people, it shall be the duty of legislatures and magistrates, in all future periods of this commonwealth, to cherish the interests of literature and the sciences, and all seminaries of them; especially the university at Cambridge, public schools and grammar schools in the towns; to encourage private societies and public institutions, rewards and immunities, for the promotion of agriculture, arts, sciences, commerce, trades, manufactures, and a natural history of the country; to countenance and inculcate the principles of humanity and general benevolence, public and private charity, industry and frugality, honesty and punctuality in their dealings; sincerity, good humor, and all social affections, and generous sentiments, among the people.

From the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, via the sub-sub-committee of one, aka John Adams

D
    D
    Dude, thanks. I would like to live in the place he's describing, and educate my children to all of those ends, social and intellectual.

DeeDee

M
    mgl Offline
    M
    All I did in my extra time was: talk too much, tutor others, read, or sleep.

Mostly I slept -- this was probably the worst habit I picked up in school. Boredom = nap. Because my grades were so good, no one ever called me on it. Because I talked too much and too loudly when I was awake, I think the teachers sort of liked it. By the time I was an undergraduate I estimated I slept through at least half of the class time in 90% of my classes.

Originally Posted by mgl
    All I did in my extra time was: talk too much, tutor others, read, or sleep.

Mostly I slept -- this was probably the worst habit I picked up in school. Boredom = nap. Because my grades were so good, no one ever called me on it. Because I talked too much and too loudly when I was awake, I think the teachers sort of liked it. By the time I was an undergraduate I estimated I slept through at least half of the class time in 90% of my classes.

I could just stay up until 2:00 to 4:00 a.m. with the knowledge that I could sleep through calculus and physics in the morning.

So, yeah. Those weren't the best life habits to develop.

M
    mgl Offline
    M
    So, yeah. Those weren't the best life habits to develop.

I know, right?

The problem did not lie in being in regular classes either. By the time I was in secondary schools, I was in as differentiated a classroom setting as my city was able to provide. I think it was more of a problem like Zen Scanner said:
    Being held up as an example of a good student based on grades when you are really a bad example with poor academic skills and just smart.
    This!

My sleeping problem probably wasn't actually just a habit (though I often describe it as such). As an adult I see a neurologist and manage it with therapies I learned doing research for my children. My pet peeve is that the behavior was ignored or outright encouraged when I was in school because of my grades. What kind of difference would it have made if the behavior had been identified as potentially life altering and efforts had been made to curtail or deal with when it emerged after puberty? I see this too much with my ds8. He displays numerous behaviors that will eventually be life-limiting for him as he gets into adulthood. But because he's smart and he's not too disruptive when he does them, they're fine. No problems at all.

Last edited by mgl; 09/10/12 11:03 AM.
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs