Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #137359 09/06/12 03:35 PM
    R
    revmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Sorry, I just need to vent for a moment. My DD13 has a 504 plan in place and the classroom teacher is refusing to give accommodations (extra time; computer usage; etc.). While I realize there are procedures in place to deal with this, it is just frustrating that we as parents have to jump through all of the hoops -- and that we have to watch our children being affected psychologically and emotionally when teachers refuse to follow the law. Thanks for reading!

M
    M
    did the teacher give any explanation as to why the plan isn't being followed?

S
    S
    it's complicated, and a LONG ways off, but I will be reading this with interest as it's looking like our second DD will eventually make use of a 504. I am trying to learn about them now...

R
    revmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    We have only had the 504 since January, so this is all new to us. I didn't think about giving a summary or even giving a copy of the 504 to each teacher. I did, however, inform each of her academic subject teachers at orientation. Unfortunately, we are also dealing with a brand new principal. (Our former principal was a fabulous administrator, advocate for the children, and mediator. Oh how I hate he retired!)

I talked to the guidance counselor yesterday and she confirmed that the 504 was in the hands of the teacher -- as of yesterday afternoon. We have been back in school for almost two weeks. Today, even with the 504 in her possession, the teacher still did not provide the required accommodations. Our teachers had a district-wide meeting this afternoon, so I was not able to talk to anyone about the situation. You better believe I will be in the office 1st thing in the morning!

Lots of times the first few weeks (maybe even up until an annual review meeting) the teachers may not have even SEEN their students' 504 plans.

It's a mess. Agreed.

Hang in there!!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    mgl Offline
    M
    My inexpert advice on this, from a year spent dealing with a special education teacher who simply refused to follow an IEP, is that you need to immediately start documenting when her accomdations are not being followed. Keep a journal and note what she or the teacher tells you. Make a polite suggestion to the teacher that you are avaiable to meet with to start coordinating accomodations. Make another polite, but firmer suggestion if it still does not happen. Then write a letter, suggesting that parts a, b, and c, from the 504 be followed, and give a copy to the principal and whoever else may need to know. Etc.

Of course, it could just be back to school craziness, but a little documentation and polite suggestion never hurt.

R
    revmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Well, after a meeting with the principal (who hadn't even bothered to pull the 504 herself to check the accommodations), I think the teacher is finally up to speed on the extended time accommodation. I'm not sure, however, she totally gets the computer usage accommodation. We will see when time comes for the next assignment.

Thanks everyone for letting me vent earlier!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations