Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am looking back over my DS's neuropsych report because I'm about to start the ARD process at the charter school for a 504. I must have skimmed over this section before, but now I'm curious. This is the part of the report I'm confused with:

"Assessment of DS's visuospatial functioning revealed an area of notable strength in his overall neurocognitive profile. DS demonstrated very superior visuospatial reasoning abilities,l and superior visuo-construction abilities. His performance was above average with respect to his visuospatial discrimination. DS demonstrated average visuomotor integration.

Assessment of DS's sensorimotor functioning revealed generally inconsistent proficiency. DS's performance on measures of bilateral dexterity was generally within normal limits. His performance on measures of bilateral kinesthetic praxis was within the below average range fo functioning. DS's performance on measures of visuomotor precision, however, was in the impaired range of functioning."

I'm guessing the first part is relating to what I'd consider normal 'visual thinking' type stuff - reconstructing shapes easily, that sort of thing. I don't understand the second paragraph at all though. 'Bilateral kinesthetic praxis'? Something to do with being able to move both sides of his body? And visuomotor precision - this I can't figure out at all!

If any of you lovely folks know what these words mean, please share!

~amy
    epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, as I often do, I think I've sort of answered my own question - thank you google books previews!

It looks like the visuomotor precision test was sort of a handwriting-type test... find motor control, which we knew was not good, and had gotten worse after he started one of his meds. We've been trying to work on that this summer, and it actually seems better now - he's started drawing again - woo!

~amy
    D
    D
    Epoh, this is not what you were talking about, and I can't answer your actual question, but-- why a 504 and not an IEP? Seemed to me your guy should qualify for the IEP and direct services in some areas.

DeeDee

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, I am going to push for an IEP, mainly because of the protection it provides him, but from my understanding of the law him qualifying for an IEP or not is questionable, however, his diagnosis should guarantee him 504 accommodations.

~amy
    D
    D
    I hope it goes well. If he needs any direct services at all, he needs the IEP-- that includes special ed support as well as things like OT. We found that the special ed teacher was extremely useful in teaching self-management and organizational skills....

DeeDee

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm interested to see how it goes w/this charter school. I've heard that, in general, charter schools aren't easy to work with when it comes to sp. ed, but the principal was very encouraging of getting him accommodations. So we'll see how it goes.

~amy
    D
    D
    A 504 isn't really special ed. Think of a 504 as a guarantee of access, such as the guarantee that the door of the school be big enough that a wheelchair fits through it. A 504 requires that accommodations be made for the disability, but does not require that any special education or related services be provided. Only the IEP offers those. If something costs money, it is likely to be offered only under an IEP. Schools have the discretion to offer things that cost money without the IEP, but they generally don't.

I hope the conversation goes well, Amy!

DeeDee

epoh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    OH, figured I'd add this here - DH & I met with DS's 2 teachers yesterday after school. I _really_ like his math/science teacher. I think he's going to do really well in her class. She's very straight-forward and organized from what I could see. His social-studies/language arts teacher might have a little more trouble. She's younger, and more inexperienced, and I think the kids in her class already sense it (twice now I've heard from DS about the whole class getting in trouble because of them all talking/being loud.) They were both very interested in helping DS do well, and the science/math teacher said she hopes we can work out his behavior issues, because she feels like "there's nothing he can't accomplish" - her words. She's also got lots of great stuff in the room for the kids to do after they've finished their work, or moved ahead - flash cards for the times table, experiments, other books/worksheets, etc. She's totally in favor of differentiation, and assured us she is not a fan of making a kid do worksheets for the same topic over and over if the child has shown they understand it already (a big problem last year!) His ss/lang arts teacher said she brought in more of her higher-level books for DS to be able to read and she's given the kids some fun projects to work on that have really interested DS (she said he wrote a full page the other day on why he should be the class organizer, while everyone else wrote like one or two sentences on why they should get the class job they wanted.)

Overall I am very optimistic about this school year! If things go well I think next year will be really awesome with the introduction of a foreign language class!

~amy
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by epoh
    They were both very interested in helping DS do well, and the science/math teacher said she hopes we can work out his behavior issues, because she feels like "there's nothing he can't accomplish" - her words.

Golden. Give her a few strategies for managing the behavior issues, and she'll be a tremendous asset to him!

DeeDee

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM