Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    ...so now what? My son whom is 6 is currently in 2nd grade at a traditional academy. I've had several issues with the teachers and district regarding him being gifted and how best to proceed. He tested 97th in Quantitative, 96th in Non Verbal, 91st in Verbal and 97th in "over all" or whatever that is called. Since then I've been told he probably has ADHD since he won't sit still at his desk while his teacher is lecturing. I'm thinking he's bored out of his gore and I'm tired of him constantly getting in to trouble and being punished for the class being slow moving. I'm also in Arizona and our educational system is not what it used to be. He's emotionally intense as well and that I think causes a problem. Has anyone else dealt with this kind of problem before and what did you have to do to "fix it"? Thank you so much.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Your post reminds me of my DD9... when she was 6 and in grade 2 it was her most emotionally intense year!! I didn't think I'd get through it, lol.

You're probably right in that your son is bored, although he could have ADHD and still be gifted. It's a tough one. I go back and forth with my son's ADHD diagnosis - one day I'm certain he has it and the next day I'm certain it's a misdiagnosis.

You say you've had issues with the teachers and the district - what kind of issues? Are they not willing to enrich or accelerate your son's curriculum?

A
    A
    "probably ADHD" would set off alarm bells, especially if you see different behavior in every other setting. ADHD should be diagnosed by a licensed professional - and your doubts being voiced should motivate the professional to rule out other issues that can have ADHD-like traits.

I had my son tested by a neuropsych in 2nd grade and again this summer before 7th grade - and both times ADHD was ruled out. That didn't change that fact that he spaced out in class, but it meant it wasn't due to ADHD.

Is there a gifted program at your son's school? If so, perhaps the IQ results will allow for some transition to more challenging and appropriate material.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by master of none
    My girl was often thought to have ADHD. She's 10 now and the jury is still out, but basically, if she is properly stimulated and engaged, she's fine.

My son is the same. Also:

Originally Posted by ABQMom
    "probably ADHD" would set off alarm bells, especially if you see different behavior in every other setting.

...same again - his behaviour changes in different settings. Our pediatrician doubts the diagnosis, and even the psychologist said "take it with a grain of salt" saying that the assessment didn't reflect his true cognitive potential, just his current behaviour in a testing setting. He was seven. She recommended testing again in two years.

I contacted SENG and the person I spoke to said that often gifted kids have prefrontal cortex developmental delays which mimic ADHD (and which they'll grow out of) and they should never be assessed before the age of eight.

Cola this is a good book:

http://www.amazon.com/Misdiagnosis-Diagnoses-Gifted-Children-Adults/dp/0910707642

My experience is that if giftedness doesn't present as straight A's and perfect behaviour, teachers miss it or disregard it. At least you have good test results - is the school not factoring those in?

It's tough. My son has the desk wiggles too. He'd even fall out of his chair. He'd be so distracted... more interested in how the wiring worked for the overhead projector than listening to the teacher. Any time he'd use the pencil sharpener he'd stay there because he wanted to take it apart and figure out how it works too.

He's calmer now, more able to comply even when he doesn't feel like it, but he's also 2 years older than your son. It gets better smile

I should add - I'm a SAHM and I enrich both my kids at home (accelerated math and reading). What do they call that... "after schooling" ?? I think it's hard to find the perfect scenario, but this seems to work for us.

Last edited by CCN; 08/27/12 07:43 AM.
    S
    S
    Hi Cola, one of the co-authors of the book that CCN mentioned is a practicing neuropsychologist in Scottsdale. We had our son (now 6) tested there last year due to concerns from his teachers. Turned out he is highly gifted and the information we gathered from the tests has helped us with his education planning.

If you send me a PM, I would happy to share more about our experience.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years