Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 294 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I used to fill my books with so many little bookmarks they spines had trouble coping. I often doodled as I read, and the doodles ended up on the bookmarks, and I could find stuff by looking for the doodle I'd marked it with. A non-doodler might have a better picture marker to look for if he got a set of little stickers, picked an image per class, and stuck, for eg. the watermellons on all his math stuff, the cantaloupes on all his science stuff, etc. (Or on a post-it that sticks up a little from the top of the page, and can be removed before handing in... more visible, AND reuseability, so there.) Plain coloued dot stickers might be enough, and seem more masculine.

(Oh sheesh, I'm discussing gender steriotypes and following up on JonLaw. Are we about to talk about coffeepots again? (sorry, that was another thread))

Stickers are my solution to everything.

Luckily, my older son agrees with me.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    My baby coffeepot is doing just fine being a plain baby coffeepot without any decorative additions.

I just made the two cups of coffee that it can make and drank them.

I use post-it notes for everything here in law-world.

I love this thread. I don't feel so alone. My husband always wants things "put away" and for me.. out of sight, out of mind. I live by lists. And yeah, those little stick tabs that you can put in books - my books are covered with them. I doodle like crazy, too, to remember certain pages.

My daughter is the same way, and my poor husband is doing his best to be patient with us. smile

Post-it notes ROCK!

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    Originally Posted by hinotes
    I love this thread. I don't feel so alone. My husband always wants things "put away" and for me.. out of sight, out of mind. I live by lists. And yeah, those little stick tabs that you can put in books - my books are covered with them. I doodle like crazy, too, to remember certain pages.

My daughter is the same way, and my poor husband is doing his best to be patient with us. smile

Post-it notes ROCK!

Yup. This is me-me-me. I have almost-eidectic memory, but it's not really verbal. I can't do it at all with auditory information, which I recall in paraphrases.

But I can locate things spatially to an almost savant extent. As in, if I've been to a place (even in a large, unfamiliar city, for example)-- I can find it again. Period. Like a homing pigeon.

I can also recall information by 'filing' it in visual space. That is, to recall something I've read, I look for the location on the page where I remember it being. I never lose things unless someone else moves them.

My helpful and borderline OCD spouse does NOT comprehend this system, and has threatened to purchase a fly vest for me to have my "at-a-glace" organizational system where it doesn't offend him. blush

My dd is exactly the same way, and always has been. Even as a toddler, she could locate library books that she'd taken into her (cluttered) bedroom. If I were missing something, all I had to do was ask her. She was "The Finder." LOL.

This is, IMO, actually a pretty awesome skill. I don't know, since I've never lived with auditory recall, but the spatial variety is fabulous. I can also read maps and build them in my head from information-- I much, much MUCH prefer Google-Maps to GPS. My spouse is exactly the opposite.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Dude
    And I can relate as the kid. Within the last month or so I was asked to get ketchup out of the refrigerator, and I must have looked right past it a dozen times before I finally found it. I never eat ketchup. It was a new brand (new to me, at least), stored upside down, and she'd peeled the label off of it. You'd only have to glance at it to know it could only be ketchup, but since it didn't look at all like the image I was hunting for, it went ignored completely. My brain didn't even register its existence.

If I don't have any image of what I'm looking for, it's even worse. I'll ask her for details, and since she's the only non-visual person in the house, her descriptions are woefully inadequate. If I ask her where to find a new product she'd bought, I'll get, "It's in the cabinet." Okay, that eliminates less than a third of the total storage space in my kitchen. If I ask my daughter, I'll get, "It's in the pantry, second shelf, behind the popcorn, in a green bag."

Anyway, when your son is dealing with this, I find that the coping mechanism is this: stop. Searching for something with this visual mode can be very quick and efficient, but he has to recognize when it isn't working, and do something else. He has to then switch modes of thinking and become very methodical, organizing his search in a pattern so that every option gets looked at closely, eliminating every option until he's found the right one.

So if he's looking for a paper, an appropriate method would be to take every sheet out of his folder, look at each one-by-one, flipping them over onto the desk until he locates the right one. And if he misses it... do it again.

One helpful thing for developing/honing that secondary skill set?

Jigsaw puzzles. They tend to work both skill sets, because you have to both look for what you CAN visualize perfectly (which is what those of us who are naturally like this do so well), and also to look for what you can't. When you cannot create a perfect image of what you need/are searching for in your mind, you must use other information to search using criteria and sort information using that set of criteria. (I need a piece here which has these two colors in this conformation, and does NOT have a tab on this other side.)

I can't really change the fact that visual-spatial is how I process information. But I can be better about using that second skill set if I work at it, and I can become faster at that secondary (non-preferred) mode.

Sudoku and Word-Searches also stretch this set of skills. It's a sorting algorithm, and you have to practice it to gain speed and proficiency. Eventually, you can even gain enough comfort with it to have some automaticity. That took me until my late teens, though.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/02/12 04:01 PM. Reason: to correct nasty, nasty grammar and usage. Yikes.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Interesting. My son has always avoided jigsaw puzzles, and word search was of great difficulty. I may have to start having him help me with a puzzle...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM