Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    I hope you are celebrating tonight.

You done good. laugh

E
    E
    That is wonderful, wonderful news. What a relief.

P
    P
    YAY Pemberley - you did GREAT!!! I'm so glad the meeting went well smile

polarbear

D
    D
    Excellent advice from MON!

DeeDee

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Yes, I think MON's advice is great but I think it is beyond what I can deal with right now. I have to contact the new DSS and will definitely thank her for what she has done. It took a while but once she finally got it - realized that what I was saying was valid - she is the one who made this happen. I plan to take a *very* reserved approach with the school personnel. I do not want to be sucked into micromanaging the situation. I had my say, we developed a plan and now I have to let them implement it. I'm not sure who gave the advice over the summer to separate parenting my daughter from fighting to get what she needs in school. I am going to let them - with the help of our consultant and new DSS - handle the education part while I focus on being DD's mom. Maybe someone with more emotional maturity - or more distance from what went on earlier this year - could take the conciliatory approach suggested. I need to just keep my distance at this point.

As I told a friend who asked me to serve on a PTA committee "I am going to just lay low. I don't so much as plan to make a batch of cookies for a bake sale..."

I
    I
    Yay Pemberly! So happy to read this!

I
    I
    [quote] as well as twice a day "enrichment/anxiety breaks" that will allow DD to spend some time on her areas of strength.[quote]

Ohhh I like this! And having a son suffering form anxiety I can see how this would really be beneficial for the child.

I haven't had out IEP meeting yet (!?!) But I am plannng on stealing this and getting this incorporated into the plan as well.

D
    D
    Pemberley, I hear you. Lots of special needs parents who have the experiences you've had end up with a variety of PTSD-- literally-- because the feeling that you can't protect your child from aggressors is so awful.

You won't be able to take a complete vacation from "managing," because you'll need to watch how they implement things and watch your DD's stress level and her outside therapies. I know you're not letting any of that go. But I'd encourage you to take really good care of yourself as well as your family. Get yourself some professional help if you feel the stress has worn you down too much (CBT is awesome for anxious parents as well as for anxious kids, it turns out, and you've had plenty of very good reasons to be anxious). Figure out what makes you feel most nurtured, and do that, till your bucket feels more full.

Hang in there.
    DeeDee

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM