Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Does anyone use Lead 21 for reading at school? We just got it this year and since I am not familiar with it I am unsure how to advocate for my DD7. She's in 2nd grade -- her spring of 1st grade MAP score for reading was a 229. Her lexile range was 1021-1171. I always have the worst time really figuring out a grade level, but I think it equates to around 8th grade? I have hoped they would consider sending her to 3rd grade for reading (which even doing that seems to be sort of a big deal) but do you think that is even helpful? I wonder if using Lead 21 they could pull some of the texts from 4th or 5th grade? Would they be content appropriate for her?

I am open to suggestions! Thanks!

M
    M
    We don't use Lead 21, so I can't offer any advice there. As far as lexile levels, I found that (in spite of their aim to provide a true reading level not tied to grade), they often produced unbelievable results. I remember one of my dss scoring in the 1400s in 2nd or 3rd grade, and he clearly wasn't actually capable of reading or understanding almost anything on the list of corresponding books we saw! wink Teachers also seemed to always come back to the "well, what if he misses something - grammar or spelling or something else not tested in lexile levels?" So, I think the best approach is to show a mix of "actual" work/reading from your dd, combined with her great lexile levels and MAP scores. I would bring in some books that she has read, maybe a few writing samples to show that she has at least beginning 3rd grade writing skills, etc... Maybe I'm just cynical, but I think teachers always use tests to their benefit - if your kid doesn't score high enough, that's proof that their not smart enough to need acceleration - if your kid scores really high, well, it's just a blip on the test but not "real life." So, I would ask for a conference-perhaps inviting the gifted coordinator and/or the student services coordinator as well as the teacher-and be prepared to show both test results and everyday stuff. I don't think you need to worry too much about appropriateness, because I'm guessing that the books chosen are screened for that in elementary school. And, if your dd is reading higher-level books at home, she's probably already reading about topics that may not be covered in the "normal" 2nd and 3rd grade books.
    I would also ask (no names of course) about peers for your daughter. That really helped for me - "so, in terms of small-group work, how many other kids are at level X in reading?" (Don't ask "Are there other kids at my child's level?" because they always seem to respond "there are many advanced kids here at Sunnyside School!"). If they said, "Well, there's a range," I'd always ask, "So, if my child was in a small group of 4 kids, what would the other levels be?" One year, that question alone got my child working independently (which he vastly preferred) on much higher-level work, while occasionally joining in the next-highest level for some fun projects. There's no reason to have your dd spend her reading block on materials well below her level and there are lots of options for enrichment!

D
    D
    We had asked for an older reading buddy for dd when she was in kindy in the local neighborhood school. I sent in books for her to read sometimes and other times the teacher would give her books to read aloud to her buddy.
    It worked out okay, not as nicely as it would have been if the school had actually taught my dd to her actual level but it was something.
    Just mentioning in case acceleration falls through.

So far I've found just dealing directly with the teacher to be best. Last year we told his teacher he was ahead, and pushed a few times for more challenging reading for homework, and she accommodated him. Today is DS8's first day of 3rd grade in the new charter school and when we met his teacher last night we let her know he was at at least a 6th grade level and she was very excited to work with him. She said the library on their side of the building (K-3rd) only goes up to around 4-5th grade level, she keeps lots more challenging books in her classroom for kids like DS. So, we'll see how it goes!

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM