Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My son was going to a Montessori school, but this year he started going to a public school(a very good one). We found out the district has a very good gifted program, and we were thinking that he might be gifted, so we had him tested. My son could read when he was about 4 and I caught him(and video taped) writing the names of his thomas trains names by looking each letter written underneath of each train and writing them diligently on his write-erase board. He plays piano, in fact got many trophies in last 3 years. His teacher says he is the first student of his who has a perfect pitch. He loves math and pretty good at it. He calls himself a_the_problem solver ( he fixes his toys using different materials and says problem solved smile...Well, but he doesnt like to explain ( or can not explain what he knows), as if he cant put the correct words together. I speak to him Turkish in %90 of the time while his dad speaks to him in English.

He is accepted to the gifted program, but just on the verge.....
    After he was tested first time, they said the result is split and they needed to test him again. So about 2 weeks ago, he was tested again and also given an achievement test on the same day. Here are the results:

First test: WASI-II
    V:104
    NV/P: 133
    FULL IQ: 120

Second test: SB-V
    Score: 124

There is a kind of point system says:
    Points Possible: 20
    Points assigned: 11

There is a chart underneath for Points vs. IQ Score where The IQ score for the assigned point 11 is given as 132.

Achievement test: KTEA-II
    Area : Math
    Points possible: 10
    Points assigned: 10
    Percentile: 99

My question is the verbal score seems to be very low, should I be worried? Do you think that could be a sign of LD?

What is the actual IQ of my son according to those numbers? is it 120, 124 or 132?

Thanks
    momofonlyone

H
    H
    I am new to all of this so am not much help answering your questions, but wanted to reply to give this post a bump in hopes someone else can assist you.

Good luck!

Looks like you've got a bright kid on your hands there!

The 104 in verbal is definitely not "low" - it's in the average range. The problem you sometimes run into is when there's a large difference between verbal ability and non-verbal ability - the kids can't always get out what they are thinking! Of course, this could just be an issue of your son feeling a bit shy with the tester. If you don't notice him having any communication issues or meltdowns/tantrums during the day, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Did they give you any more info on the KTEA? They should have been able to give you an age or grade equivalent for his scores - that's honestly the most helpful info so you know where to place him!

Honestly, it looks, from his scores, that he's going to do wonderful in school - he's right in that range of gifted enough to do really well in school, and to enjoy some differentiation and G/T pull-out type stuff.

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM