Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    bobbie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    DS (4.75) reads, we guesstimate, at around a grade 3/4 level. He is skipping K and going into grade 1 next year. My brother is a teacher and has suggested the highly experienced GT lady at his school informally assess DS to find out his exact reading level to give us a better picture of what we are dealing with for next year (she has offered). We don't plan to IQ test until 6 or 7 since the school didn't require it. Do you think this would be useful? I assume his school will want to do it and it will be higher by next year anyway, given the leaps in the last 6 months. I trust my brother but don't know if this offer is fascination on her part or just because she has known my brother for years and feels it will really help.

E
    E
    Seems like the best use of that information (since you've already decided to skip), is to select appropriate reading for both fluency/comprehension practice and a level higher for a challenge.

I didn't know where my ds5 was...I did some online searching . I found vocabulary lists that helped me see his reading vocabulary words are at a very high level ( 6th grade or more), but he is not reading there of course (but it was fun to know anyway :)). We just borrowed books from the library at different levels and discovered which ones he could read fluently vs. which ones created a small challenge (missing one word a page).

He loves science books, and we get whichever book catches his eye no matter the level. I work with him on the challenge-level books (which are more fictionbased as opposed to fact captions like science books).

D
    D
    I would have it done. If she is highly experienced, I don't think that it would just be fascination on her part, she's likely seen enough children like yours for it not to be a novelty.
    I think it would be a good idea, especially since it is coming from their end!

B
    bobbie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    We have decided to go ahead after DS picked up a grade 5 reading/comprehension book and read the first 2 stories with no concerns (and could answer the questions). Maybe we have underestimated his level too...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent