Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm looking for an excellent gifted tester in the Washington, D.C. area, preferably in Montgomery County, Maryland.

My son is 6 years old and we have suspected profound giftedness since he was a toddler. (He could read before he was two. He is now self-studying the Periodic Table of the Elements.) We are finally looking to have him formally tested.

I have heard that the quality of the tester makes a huge difference in the process and results of testing.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for testers in our area.

Thank you very much,
    Stephanie

Welcome Stephanie F! So glad that you found us.

Will his school do the testing?

Are there any issues besides giftedness that you are concerned with? What questions are you hoping to have answered. Is your child talkative with adults in general?

http://cty.jhu.edu/counseling/
    is a well know place.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hi Grinity,
    Thanks so much for responding! I have heard of CTY but it's an hour away. Not sure if it's worth traveling that far. Does it really matter that much who does the testing? I just don't know.

No, his school will not do the testing--he's in a private religious school and also our public school district doesn't do testing anyway until the end of second grade to identify GT.

I'm so new at this testing thing. Seems everyone on this site has had their kid tested. People keep asking me why I want him tested.

Besides my own curiosity and wanting validation of what I feel quite certain about (my son's giftedness), I want the school/teachers to have to acknowledge his abilities so he can be taught at his level. To come up with an educational plan. To not have to get worksheets home every day of things he learned when he was two or three. To make them stop focusing on the "social-emotional" piece and actually focus on serious academic learning. Too much to ask? Is this goal too "in your face" with the school?

Yes, my son is talkative with adults if they are friendly with him.

I don't know what kind of tests he should get. Should he even be tested? My husband is really not so supportive of having the testing done (but will go along with it) and the school seems indifferent.

I am wondering where he falls on the gifted scale. I am also interested in different programs for the gifted and he will eventually have to be tested for that. The Young Scholars program requires it and CTY does but their program doesn't start until 2nd or 3rd grade.

I am a very frustrated parent of an amazing six-year-old boy. He is so bright and self-motivated and sweet and good. He is very sensitive and "acts out" sometimes. Most of the time he is so well-behaved but when he's bothered from his work or socially (someone takes his toy or is mean to him--in reality or in his mind) he has been known to lash out physically or have emotional outbursts. He knows he shouldn't do that but he says his "brain goes to sleep." We do a behavior plan for him which is somewhat successful. Not sure if this is a maturity issue, a gifted brain issue or a real problem area. He is going to be enrolled in a "friends" club next year which is social skill club run by social workers.

Anyway...any advice is welcome.

This is the first time I have reached out to any group related to giftedness. We have just been plugging along, teaching him at home (after school) and being continuously "wowed" by his gifts and talents. (I am actually an elementary school teacher by training and I don't think this is "normal.")

Stephanie

H
    H
    I second what Grinity said. In MD, Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is the place to go for testers who are accustomed to gifted kids. But it comes with a high price tag. The minimum is about $1500-2000 with additional fees for additional tests. It sounds like it might be worth it from what you are describing.

University of Maryland also does testing through their ed psych department for about $500, but those tests are with supervised grad students who are learning how to assess children. It's an option if money is an issue but might not yield the same insights as a more experienced tester. It's called the PEER program.

http://www.education.umd.edu/EDCP/page.cfm?section_ID=11584025503022008&page_id=170143234101420091

Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM