Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    I have seen many parents post here and ask about a large gap between VCI and PRI on the WISC when one score is strong and the other is stratospheric. Responding posters are quick to reassure that "It's nothing to worry about." I am not worried, per se, but I have found a presentation from a Ph.D. at the Yale Child Study Center in which the presenter says that if there is more than a 23 point difference between the lowest and highest index FSIQ is not interpretable and GAI should be used. Well and good.

She then goes on to say that if there is more than 23 points between VCI and PRI then the variation between the two is too great to summarize ability in a single score. So, what then? There is no accurate way to summarize?

DD8 has huge gaps between her lowest and highest index (55 points) and rather large between VCI and PRI (34 points). Her VCI is exceptionally high. If extended norms had been used the difference between VCI and PRI would be in the 40s.

I am pondering this as a new school year approaches and for the first time I am armed with objective proof that DD needs more from school even than the other "smart" kids in class. What is the best way to summarize a kid like DD to a new teacher who really needs that information? DD already loves to fly under the radar and I want her teacher to realize her potential to hopefully motivate DD to tap it.

I am inclined to show her the IQ bell curve and point to where DD is on that curve as to her verbal abilities. Is this an accurate way to really get convey DD's ability? Other thoughts?

She has a 'spiky' profile.

Nothing wrong with bringing a Bell Curve. You can show where she is in her strong and challenge areas.

Lucky for your DD, school is all about VCI. I'm surprised that the teachers in the past haven't picked up on her rocking vocabulary.

Many females are great at hiding. Her achievement scores might say more about if she is 'just' great at hiding, or if there is something '2E'ish going on.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Her achievement scores don't indicate 2e. As a matter of fact, they were uniformly very high in math and language arts. Her math WIAT scores are well above her WISC PRI score, more commensurate with her VCI. She was admitted to DYS with just test scores.

DD is content to do the in class work in 1/4 of the time allotted and then read through the classroom reading set and while away the remaining hours of school that way. DD was doing the mental equivalent of a casual stroll through the park every day at school last year but her teachers see a kid who is reading all the time and think she is actually using her free time well. I think she is learning bad work habits.

She really needs a grade skip but is very opposed to it. I am reluctant on the grade skip too because she struggles socially already, If I could get her teacher on board with understanding how far she is capable of going DD has a better chance at a working closer to her potential.

Honestly I wish I could homeschool her but I work full time and working from home is not an option for my job.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by fwtxmom
    I am inclined to show her the IQ bell curve and point to where DD is on that curve as to her verbal abilities. Is this an accurate way to really get convey DD's ability? Other thoughts?

I think this could work - it's very visual and very clear. I'd definitely try this.

(I made the mistake of showing where I am on the BC to my DD9 and telling her about the genetic link - I was hoping to motivate her - not so much. She acted really cocky for a few days. sigh.)

I think it would work for a teacher though.

Originally Posted by fwtxmom
    Honestly I wish I could homeschool her but I work full time and working from home is not an option for my job.
    You may want to 'afterschool' her. I agree that reading all day isn't an education, it's babysitting. Hopefully the teacher will get inspired to provide some challenge. If not, there is still afterschooling. Start with a topic she has an interest in, and find a way to make 'family time' educational fun time.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Could your FC offer some information and resources to the teacher to back you up?

F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    I can sure try. Last year, I tried to get the FC connected with the lower school principal but she never followed up after the FC's introductory email and offer to schedule a phone call. When I tried to follow up on this lack of follow up with a meeting to keep the discussion alive she put me off for several weeks until the end of school. She also mentioned in passing when I would see her at school that she was going to take a look at the Davidson website after I sent her links but she had never had a chance to look when we finally met.

I don't think she is deliberately being obstructionist but she has a school to run and this is just one kid. That's the impression that I get anyway. She is underwhelmed by the DYS admission because she has no idea what it means and never has time to find out. In any event, whether through malfeasance or nonfeasance the effect is the same: gridlock.

Thanks all for your feedback on this. It's very frustrating to be ignored. I hope I can at least get the teacher's undivided attention about DD. Maybe she can schedule a phone call with my FC as well.

I think the best way to involve one's FC. With the school is to set up a face to face meeting with the teacher, for example, with permission for the FC to attend over the phone or perhaps skype. Another useful thing is to rehearse meetings with the FC.

It is truely amazing the effect of an advocate even if it is a voice on the phone.

Love and more love
    Grinity

I just wanted to say Good Luck! You live in the same area I do, I know just how bad the ISD situation is pretty much all over N.Texas... if your kid is passing, and looks likely to pass the STAAR, they can't really seem to be bothered about them.

~amy

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM