Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    I just find that these studies that start with "there's a correlation between not understanding fractions and not being able to learn algebra" and go directly to "we need to teach fractions better" may be skipping an important logical step.

That's a fair point. The authors make this argument:

Originally Posted by Siegler et al Early Predictors of High School Mathematics Achievement
    If students do not understand fractions, they cannot estimate answers even to simple algebraic equations. For example, students who do not understand fractions will not know that in the equation 1/3X = 2/3Y, X must be twice as large as Y, or that for the equation 3/4X = 6, the value of X must be somewhat, but not greatly, larger than 6. Students who do not understand fraction magnitudes also would not be able to reject flawed equations by reasoning that the answers they yield are impossible. Consistent with this analysis, studies have shown that accurate estimation of fraction magnitudes is closely related to correct use of fractions arithmetic procedures (Hecht & Vagi, 2010; Siegler et al., 2011). Thus, we hypothesized that 10-year-olds’ knowledge of fractions would predict their algebra knowledge and overall mathematics achievement at age 16, even after we statistically controlled for other mathematical knowledge, information-processing skills, general intellectual ability, and family income and education.

This argument makes sense to me. US elementary schools and math books generally teach kids how to do algorithms and don't go into depth about what's really happening when you do the algorithm, why it works, and how things in mathematics are inter-related. Fractions is a really good example of what I've said. Kids aren't taught about relationships between fractions and division, yet understanding these relationships is critical for doing algebra.

E
    E
    For all the vilification of Everyday Math that I've seen around here, I have to say that so far, it seems to be doing a good job of keeping fractions tied to division. My daughter has only completed third grade math, though, so there's plenty of time for it to go astray.

And like I said, I don't want anyone to think that I oppose better teaching of fractions. I just think it's valuable so the students will understand fractions better, whether or not it has anything to do with later study of algebra.

Being taught the material by someone who understands it well beyond the level covered by the class text/curriculum seems pretty crucial to me, too.

I think the fact that many primary teachers (and a few secondary ones) don't have a good grip on the underlying math themselves is probably a huge part of this problem.

I'm not really surprised by that observation, incidentally. My own mom was a terrible person to be teaching math beyond basic operations. Luckily, she taught K-2, so it was okay. But I had plenty of experience socially with her friends who were no more capable, and some of them were teaching 3-6. tired

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Being taught the material by someone who understands it well beyond the level covered by the class text/curriculum seems pretty crucial to me, too.

I think the fact that many primary teachers (and a few secondary ones) don't have a good grip on the underlying math themselves is probably a huge part of this problem.

I'm not really surprised by that observation, incidentally. My own mom was a terrible person to be teaching math beyond basic operations. Luckily, she taught K-2, so it was okay. But I had plenty of experience socially with her friends who were no more capable, and some of them were teaching 3-6. tired

We should stop expecting elementary school teachers to be experts at all subjects and have them specialize by subject, such as English, social studies, science, or math. The current system where students have a single teacher for all subjects makes sense if teachers are regarded as surrogate mothers and not just instructors. Since my eldest has more trouble remembering where his jacket is and putting it on than with fractions, I understand that elementary school teachers play a dual role smile.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Siegler et al Early Predictors of High School Mathematics Achievement
    the invert-and-multiply algorithm (i.e., a/b ÷ c/d = ad × bc)
    I do hope it was Val, not the authors, who wrote exactly this...

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    I have a copy of the paper Bostonian mentioned today.

The working paper version is at http://www.psy.cmu.edu/~siegler/Siegler-etal-inpressPsySci.pdf .

From the paper:

Marked individual and social class differences in mathematical knowledge are present
    even in preschool and kindergarten (Case & Okamoto, 1996; Starkey, Klein, & Wakeley, 2004)
    These differences are stable at least from kindergarten through fifth grade; children who start
    ahead in mathematics generally stay ahead, and children who start behind generally stay behind.
    ((Duncan et al., 2007; Stevenson & Newman, 1986). Substantial correlations between early and
    later knowledge are also present in other academic subjects, but differences among children in
    mathematics knowledge are even more stable than in reading and other areas (Case, Griffin, &
    Kelly, 1999; Duncan, et al., 2007).

Fractions are worth teaching for their intrinsic importance, as ElizabethN wrote, but the paragraph above suggests a role for innate ability.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by fwtxmom
    And our school has just signed up for Everyday Math, whose curriculum is markedly deficient in . . . arrgh, fractions and long division. I keep telling myself that I can use a tutor and keep my kids up in math, but the elementary school math really does matter. This is just depressing. Good to know though. Thanks Bostonian.

There is now a federally-funded Center for Improving Learning of Fractions (!) https://sites.google.com/a/udel.edu/fractions/home with some papers co-authored by Siegler , who also co-authored the paper I mentioned.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by Val
    the invert-and-multiply algorithm (i.e., a/b ÷ c/d = ad × bc)
    I do hope it was Val, not the authors, who wrote exactly this...

Ouch. Good catch.

I cut and pasted from the paper. I double-checked the final version and a preliminary version written by the authors that I just found.

The preliminary version doesn't have the faulty equation (it has no equation). It's possible that this was a mistake made by someone at the journal. I don't know; I wrote to the corresponding author to alert him to the error, and will report back if he replies to me.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Val
    Ouch. Good catch.

Yes, that was the typo I mentioned (although I see that I was reading quickly and misidentified it as the abstract). I hope there's time to get it fixed.

Val Offline
    Heard back from him already. He's going to ask the journal to fix it. They'll presumably make a new online version of the paper.

Last edited by Val; 08/13/12 01:56 PM.
    Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent