Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 278 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Kcab
    Wow, that looks terrific - thanks! I hope that we don't need to be out in a field away from people to do these, we are backyard challenged! The "air driven carrots" makes me concerned!

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 07/23/12 07:13 PM.
    Z
    Z
    My DS6 is another science lover (ditto I), he did Camp Invention this summer, it was age bracketed and I don't think he enjoyed it as much as he might've. One part of that was to bring an old bit of electronics from home for disassembly which he did enjoy. Contemplating some yard saling for some new things to dissect.

Local hackerspaces will sometimes have open houses (many amusing and cool tools/projects in those.) Another resource can be local manufacturers who can be surprisingly generous in giving individual tours.

And maybe someone already mentioned this site: http://howstuffworks.com
    or this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Way-Things-Work/dp/0395938473

Y
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    yvonnemommy
    Unregistered
    Y
    DD loves math. She did beestar this summer. The program is full of all real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. She rather do 9 hours of beestar than watch 1 minute of t.v. I think it is a well and easy-used program.
    Lisa

E
    E
    Awesome thread! I'be been out of town so missed this the first time around. My DS5 is s science nut and had already proclaimed he's going to be a scientist so long as I can come to work with him (be still my heart).

HowlerKarma, I adore your post. My ds wandered around the other day testing what sticks to magnets and was distraught that it wouldn't stick to the two-year old being as "everyone has iron in their blood". He was also fascinated by the Olympic opening ceremony where they symboloized pouring molten steel to make the ring. He suggested we get ourselves some of our own molten steel...I suggested molten candy into molds instead.

We use cooking/baking a lot for chemistry fun. Alton Brown, from Good Eats on the Food Network, makes the science of food/baking/cooking fun. Plus you can eat your experiments (if you dare).

My ds also loves science kits. My dh and ds made a "non-Newtonian" liquid this week from cornstarch and water, but it didn't give a clear explanation of how this works. Any chemistry nuts out there want to help me answer my ds' curiosity?

B
    B
    I have bought many "Dummies" and "Idiot's Guide" books for my son (don't like the titles, but he reads them). Isaac Asimov wrote lots of science books for the layman, listed at http://www.asimovonline.com/oldsite/asimov_catalogue.html , of which my children have read several. His NYT obit http://www.nytimes.com/books/97/03/23/lifetimes/asi-v-obit.html is an interesting profile of a gifted and productive man.

"His usual routine was to awake at 6 A.M., sit down at the typewriter by 7:30 and work until 10 P.M."

That's how he wrote 500 books.

Val Offline

I love Dummies books. They could actually be called "[SubjectName] Written in Clear Prose." But I guess that's not as catchy as "[SubjectName] For Dummies."

Last edited by Val; 08/08/12 04:54 PM.
    M
    M
    Basher Books are a hit here.

http://basherbooks.com/usa/aboutbooks.html

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Books: my DS loves/d (come to think of it, he doesn't use them so much now at 8.5, I think because he has memorised them) the Usbourne Dictionary of series, especially the Dictionary of Chemistry. Despite the name, it's not a dictionary, and has loads of illustrations. The fonts are small, but that's pretty common with highly-illustrated books - my guess is these would have the right tone. They have lots of information, and I guess are principally supposed to be revision aids for much older children.

ColinsMum
    Had to resurrect this thread to give you and DS a huge thumbs up and to beg for more recs! We got the usbourne chemistry dictionary, and I was unsure how it would go over, I also got the physics book locounu recommended and both are too hard - but in a good way! At first DS just sort of glanced at the dictionary, but we also got him a model chem set which he LOVES. And so he just started this fabulous thing he does when it's too hard, he starts reading, but skips and skims, and asks questions. So you can tell its captured him. I was nervous because it's a revision aid for HS! I thought maybe I was jumping too far ahead. But now I think it's perfect - in terms of more advanced material without being too ahead and needing math skills he doesn't have yet. And having nice pictures and diagrams. Plan to get the other ones as well. And considering what I just found out his science curriculum is this year, these are welcome indeed!

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 09/28/12 09:22 AM. Reason: Always want to add an l
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM