Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #135249 08/06/12 03:50 PM
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    My 10 y/o niece just got diagnosed with a math disorder. Her WISC PRI is 115 (84%) but several of her WJ math subtests are far below that: Applied Concepts 36%, Math Fluency 19% and Quantitative Concepts 24%. My sister-in-law needs some tutoring resources to help remediate my niece's basic math skills and understanding. They live in Russia.

Can anyone suggest resources for a math disability that she can order and take? Or online resources?

Thanks for any help or guidance!

It seems like a good place to start would be to work on Memorization in general, perhaps touch typing to start since it's so useful, then some quotes and poems, then back around to math facts. Here's a post about Automaticity http://wp.me/p2tcDf-1S

So my idea is that she work on the general topic of Memorization first, then concentrate on Math Facts in particular, then use a program like Aleks.com to fill in the details. Sites that teach 'Mental Math' might also be helpful. How is she with counting? How is her spelling? Can she associate numbers with letters, emotions or physical actions to

The Eidie book, Dyslexic Advantage might give some insights as well, but I haven't gotten far enough in to it to say for sure. I hope someone shows up with specific help for Math Disorder soon. They talk about the square law as a rule of thumb 'it takes the square root longer to learn something if you're dyslexic than if you aren't. In other words, if it took four hours to learn something for a nondyslexic, it would take twice as long for a dyslexic; if it took one hundred hours it would take ten time as long.

((note that the Eidie's use the term dyslexia very broadly to cover problems with procedural memory, working memory, handwriting, learning by observing, rote math, visual and auditory function. They also identify them as having strengths which are due to their cognitive differences, which they call: Material reasoning, Interconnected reasoning, Narrative reasoning, and Dynamic reasoning.))

Best wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM