Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: fwtxmom Math disorder help - 08/06/12 10:50 PM
My 10 y/o niece just got diagnosed with a math disorder. Her WISC PRI is 115 (84%) but several of her WJ math subtests are far below that: Applied Concepts 36%, Math Fluency 19% and Quantitative Concepts 24%. My sister-in-law needs some tutoring resources to help remediate my niece's basic math skills and understanding. They live in Russia.

Can anyone suggest resources for a math disability that she can order and take? Or online resources?

Thanks for any help or guidance!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Math disorder help - 08/07/12 04:41 PM
It seems like a good place to start would be to work on Memorization in general, perhaps touch typing to start since it's so useful, then some quotes and poems, then back around to math facts. Here's a post about Automaticity http://wp.me/p2tcDf-1S

So my idea is that she work on the general topic of Memorization first, then concentrate on Math Facts in particular, then use a program like Aleks.com to fill in the details. Sites that teach 'Mental Math' might also be helpful. How is she with counting? How is her spelling? Can she associate numbers with letters, emotions or physical actions to

The Eidie book, Dyslexic Advantage might give some insights as well, but I haven't gotten far enough in to it to say for sure. I hope someone shows up with specific help for Math Disorder soon. They talk about the square law as a rule of thumb 'it takes the square root longer to learn something if you're dyslexic than if you aren't. In other words, if it took four hours to learn something for a nondyslexic, it would take twice as long for a dyslexic; if it took one hundred hours it would take ten time as long.

((note that the Eidie's use the term dyslexia very broadly to cover problems with procedural memory, working memory, handwriting, learning by observing, rote math, visual and auditory function. They also identify them as having strengths which are due to their cognitive differences, which they call: Material reasoning, Interconnected reasoning, Narrative reasoning, and Dynamic reasoning.))

Best wishes,
Grinity

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum