Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #134985 08/01/12 10:18 PM
    D
    Ddarl Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hi, my 8 yo was having problems at school.

His wisc iv results are:
    Vci 130 percentile rank 98
    Pri 121 percentile rank 95
    Wmi 130 percentile rank 98
    Psi 94 percentile rank 34.

Full scale iq 125 (note on report says this may be not accurate because of discrepancy between psi index and other indices)

What does this mean? How bright is my child?

Ddarl #135013 08/02/12 10:38 AM
    P
    P
    The lower PSI may relate to the problems he's having in school, and the high scores on VCI/PRI also might related to problems if he's bored and not challenged. Can you tell us a little bit more about what prompted the testing, what types of problems he's had at school, and also, if you have the subtest scores, it would be helpful for us to see them too.

And yes, FSIQ usually isn't considered accurate when there is as large a discrepancy as reported between PSI and VCI/PRI.. but there is another number called the "GAI" (Global Ability Index) which is made up of *only* the PRI/VCI and which is often used to qualify 2e kiddos for gifted programs. If a GAI wasn't calculated, I'd ask the person who did the testing to calculate it for you. I don't know that it would be much different than the FSIQ, but I"m guessing it would be at least a little bit higher.

polarbear

Ddarl #135141 08/04/12 08:05 PM
    D
    Ddarl Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Hi,

My son is having problems socially. Last year he was not invited to one birthday party. He has a reputation for being a naughty child, and is generally on average academically which his teachers say is an underachievement for him.

He is disruptive and makes funny sounds all the time like humming or tapping his foot.

The psych said he made noises like this when the tests were easy and stopped when the tests got harder.

VCI sub tests:
    Similarities score 17
    Vocab 17
    Comprehension 15
    PRI sub tests:
    Block design 16
    pic concepts 11 (psych said he was looking for complex answers and taking longer on this test and not answering the simple obvious answer and suggested this score was wrong)
    Matrix reasoning 16
    WMI sub tests:
    Digit span 18
    letter number sequence 15
    arithmetic 13
    PSI sub tests:
    coding 9
    symbol search 9 (these tests were administered last and he was getting bored. Again he was looking for complex answers and not giving the simple answers which were obvious.

The psych said he would need more testing to give an overall IQ score, and that it wd probable be a bit higher.

High IQ runs in my family, but so does mental illness. this could be linked to violent home life for my parent/aunts/uncles.

I'm worried abt my son.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM