Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 365 guests, and 47 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #134550 07/24/12 11:15 AM
    OP Offline
    My dd5 starts k through k12 in a few weeks. She came to me yesterday and was reading her Bible only asking 2 words. She pretty much taught herself to read. I only helped her with letter sounds previously because she had asked. At the end of preschool last year she was only reading 3 letter words and that is the last time I worked with her.

She also last year while I was teaching her older sister wanted to do workbooks so I gave her some of her 6 year old sisters first grade math workbooks, not expecting her to be able to to them. She did and got 99% of it right.

We are using k12 and I will be her main teacher but we still have to follow the state rules. How would you go about testing where I could find out where she is at?

Can you pick and choose and adjust levels on k-12? I'm curious.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Oops.. If so, you know about "cirriculum compacting", right? You ask five or six questions from a lesson and if they know it move on rather than going over the whole lesson and every problem. It's called a pre-test. You might remember teachers telling you to do only the odd problems or the first half of a worksheet. This gets you to the correct level quickly and shows any "gaps" as well.

I'm curious about the State Rules. I was homeschooled some and the main state rules were more about logging hours and days and recording the work that was done, less about what work was done. It might be different with using k-12.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by trinaninaphoenix
    How would you go about testing where I could find out where she is at?

k12 has assessments.
    https://eprcontent.k12.com/placement/placement/placement_langarts_2.html (Language Arts)

https://eprcontent.k12.com/placement/placement/placement_math_1.html (Math)

I have no experience with k12, but their FAQs say they use their assessments to determine placement, and that you have to administer the assessments before your enrollment's finalized.

OP Offline
    Thanks. I used K12 at the end of the year last year with my older dd who is 6 and they moved her up in math, but only because they sent us the wrong math online at first and I could show that she got an 89% in first grade math for the end of the year. So they had us do first grade math instead of kindergarten. For reading they stopped before they figured out what all she could do and let us start at the end of k phonics which we pretty much signed off.

I will have both of my girls take the placement tests then show them to the teachers and see if this helps. I never had to adminster the assesments and no one has asked me to before we finalized last year or this one. I hope they will get the teachers attention though.

Q
    Q
    I would try aleks.com for math for a place to start. Their assessments actually link to state standards. It's useful in the sense that it will specify any topics not yet mastered but are part of that state's grade level standards.

Of course, there is the additional problem that your specific school district and/or your specific school has higher standards.

OP Offline
    Thank you I will look it up.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs