Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #134484 07/23/12 02:15 PM
    P
    Puma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi! My DD3 will be starting at a bilingual International Baccalaureate accredited school (preschool and elementary) in the fall. Anyone have a GT kid in an IB school? How has the IB model worked (or not worked) for your GT child? Thank you!

This is a great question. I know one GT girl who loved IB in England. I've also heard that high school IB is very 'product oriented' which can compete with precious time for kids who have the drive to pursue their own academic interests. I think a lot has to do with the people who are using the IB model locally and how they see their mission.

Good luck!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    Puma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, Grinity! I suspect you're right about how the individual school interprets the IB model influencing things a lot. I'll see what responses I get from the board, and I'll report back on how it goes for my DD3! smile I hadn't heard of an IB preschool before we found this one. IB, bilingualism, testing...I sure have a lot of questions. smile Kind of you to always respond!

I worked at IB schools overseas for a long time, DD was not in school at the time, however, looking at it from a teacher's perspective, and having friends with GT kids at the school, I would say that if it is done correctly, the IBPYP program is great for gt kids. The marking is all based on rubrics, so kids can really go in-depth on an assignment, and there are a lot of cross curricular units that work well with gt kids since they tend to see the connections and are curious about them. The program teaches critical thinking skills and problem solving skills much better than the regular American curriculum.
    I wish we lived near a PYP school so that my kids could go there, in fact, since we are thinking of moving at the end of this school year, we may look for that opportunity in our new area.

B
    B
    The AP program is modular -- students take courses and exams they are in interested in and ready for. Some gifted students will prepare for the exams on their own, without taking a course. The IB program is broader and has components that are not strictly academic, such as the CAS requirement

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/curriculum/core/cas/
    Creativity, action, service (CAS)
    The CAS requirement is a fundamental part of the programme and takes seriously the importance of life outside the world of scholarship, providing a refreshing counterbalance to academic studies.

Creativity is interpreted broadly to include a wide range of arts activities as well as the creativity students demonstrate in designing and implementing service projects.
    Action can include not only participation in individual and team sports but also taking part in expeditions and in local or international projects.
    Service encompasses a host of community and social service activities. Some examples include helping children with special needs, visiting hospitals and working with refugees or homeless people.
    Students are expected to be involved in CAS activities for the equivalent of at least three hours each week during the two years of the programme.

I prefer the AP approach, but it's a matter of the values of the student and parent.

E
    E
    The gifted kids in our district, especially those who attend the gifted magnets, are strongly encouraged toward IB for high school. (This district is just adding the early years IB.) Our previous school district had early years when the youngest were starting kindergarten; I didn't look at it because the school itself had a reputation for punctiliousness that didn't fit well.
    I think, like any other magnet program, it really depends on the kid how that turns out. IME IB is pretty rigidly defined, and for someone who does well with those external structures, it's a good program. For others, like two of my daughters (both visual artists, with the attendant free-flowing artistic sensibilities), it would be deadly.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    P
    Puma Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, all, for the responses. It's nice to be able to bounce questions off of the collective expertise of the forum. Kerry-- glad you've heard of some GT kids who've done well in IB! The potential ability to go in depth on assignments interested us for DD. Bostonian--thanks for bringing up the values part of it, also important. For our family, IB is an excellent match in that respect. Eldertree-- you're right, depends on the kid. My DD3 is too young to call as to whether or not it will be a good match. We'll see how it goes for her!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations