Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by KatieMama
    He can multiply and divide by skip-counting, but he has yet to memorize his multiplication tables.

My two kids were the same. I think memorization is very dry and doesn't have the same appeal as calculating wink

At DS8's 3rd grade parent/teacher conferences, the teacher commented that "obviously he has his math facts down". I explained to the teacher that I don't think he does, but he can add in his head very quickly. Whatever works at this point is fine by me. smile

I think so too... The important thing is that they're getting the answers right and building skills. I think once the math becomes complex enough to make the adding in their heads too time consuming, they'll do the memorizing because it's faster that way. (I hope, anyway ;-) lol

Z
    Z
    Just joined today after a few months of browsing. This site is the first place I'd encountered the term "math facts." What a horrible idea, particularly for a gifted abstract thinker. Math Concepts and Processes? Yes. Facts? No.

An abstract thinker learns quickly by understanding and creating robust active connections. Drilling creates hazardous ruts and lays down the wrong pathways (being bored and hating is a survival instinct for the precious part of the brain that is trying to save itself from being mis-wired.)

With high perceptual reasoning, they should be drawn to the patterns. Help them discover patterns. Eventually they will have very fast paths to the answers, and when the numbers get larger they'll use the same processes just as quickly while those who had "math facts" hammered in will fumble with no learned process to back them up.

R
    R
    Er...Zen Scanner I never cared for "math facts" myself, and my school spent a lot of time on timed drills which were of little benefit to me. I have a very fast processing speed and working memory.

My DS8, however, has an average processing speed and working memory, and I see where not memorizing the multiplication table slows him down greatly and frustrates him.

Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Just joined today after a few months of browsing. This site is the first place I'd encountered the term "math facts." What a horrible idea, particularly for a gifted abstract thinker. Math Concepts and Processes? Yes. Facts? No.

An abstract thinker learns quickly by understanding and creating robust active connections. Drilling creates hazardous ruts and lays down the wrong pathways (being bored and hating is a survival instinct for the precious part of the brain that is trying to save itself from being mis-wired.)

With high perceptual reasoning, they should be drawn to the patterns. Help them discover patterns. Eventually they will have very fast paths to the answers, and when the numbers get larger they'll use the same processes just as quickly while those who had "math facts" hammered in will fumble with no learned process to back them up.
    I find so much at fault with your post that it's hard to know where to begin! Learning and teaching math facts is a fairly frequent topic on websites and in scholarly journals about education; your lack of knowledge of this is not evidence that the idea of math facts, or the learning of them, is educational nonsense. Increasing arithmetical fluency is not at odds with increasing conceptual knowledge; in fact it may reduce the cognitive load necessary to do the "grunt work" of a problem, and thus increase a student's ability to focus on the conceptual. And by increasing the speed of working a problem, it can give any student with speed issues, gifted or not, a better chance of keeping up in class.

Meanwhile, your own apparent strong focus on rote problem-solving procedures is at odds with becoming strong in math, in my opinion. Math-- taught correctly, and at its heart-- isn't about learning a set of steps that one then successfully applies to bigger and bigger numbers. There isn't enough room here to go into what math education is or should be about, and I'm less qualified to weigh in than many here, but it certainly isn't that.

Drilling in and of itself doesn't create "hazardous ruts", though it may bore someone who doesn't need the drill. There cannot be any math-fact-avoiding survival instinct, since cavepeople didn't have math facts to avoid, and if they did, avoiding them wouldn't have avoided death before procreation.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner

I find so much at fault with your post that it's hard to know where to begin! Learning and teaching math facts is a fairly frequent topic on websites and in scholarly journals about education; your lack of knowledge of this is not evidence that the idea of math facts, or the learning of them, is educational nonsense. Increasing arithmetical fluency is not at odds with increasing conceptual knowledge; in fact it may reduce the cognitive load necessary to do the "grunt work" of a problem, and thus increase a student's ability to focus on the conceptual. And by increasing the speed of working a problem, it can give any student with speed issues, gifted or not, a better chance of keeping up in class.

Meanwhile, your own apparent strong focus on rote problem-solving procedures is at odds with becoming strong in math, in my opinion. Math-- taught correctly, and at its heart-- isn't about learning a set of steps that one then successfully applies to bigger and bigger numbers. There isn't enough room here to go into what math education is or should be about, and I'm less qualified to weigh in than many here, but it certainly isn't that.

Drilling in and of itself doesn't create "hazardous ruts", though it may bore someone who doesn't need the drill. There cannot be any math-fact-avoiding survival instinct, since cavepeople didn't have math facts to avoid, and if they did, avoiding them wouldn't have avoided death before procreation.

I don't know if it's an entirely bad thought; I do think there's something to being allowed to learn in the ways that make sense to an individual. Further I do think there is something detrimental in pushing speed of fact regurgitation to the point of freaking a kid out/paralyzing them into feeling like they know nothing. I don't think our schools are the only district where this is occuring.
    I guess you'd have to have be a kid like this or have a kid like this to understand they're not just slacking off and not assume they WILL memorize the math facts one way or another. Sometimes...they WON'T.

But that certainly doesn't mean they can't do really well in math.

Last edited by chris1234; 07/22/12 06:17 PM.
    The idea that's entirely bad is that teaching math facts is entirely bad for gifted children. wink Anything can be done badly, or overdone. In any event even though some students may have trouble initially learning math facts, they are valuable for anyone to know.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs