Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    Mom2277 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I received the full report, and I'm perplexed. It's been a long time since I studied statistics, and I know little to nothing about intelligence tests.

I have T-Scores, Percentiles, and Age-Equivalency for several subtests.

First, both kids had some T-Scores of 90. DAS-II's proprietor states that T-Scores range to 90 on the School Age version. Does a T-Score of 90 actually mean that they hit the ceiling on the subtest?

Second, I'm thoroughly perplexed about the results on my son's Matrices subtest: Age-Equivalence = 15 years, 9 months; T-Score= 75; Percentile=99. My confusion results because other subtests had even younger age equivalences, like 13 years+ or 14 years+, but each of these had much higher T-Scores and much higher percentiles (well, 99.9+ as opposed to 99.)

How can his age equivalence be appreciably larger on the Matrices than on other subtests, yet produce a markedly lower T-Score and percentile?

Thank you for any insight!

Z
    Z
    T-Score is just their alternate way of showing standard deviations (avg 50, 10 per SD; vs. IQ that is ~avg100 with 15 per SD.) Since they only report out to 4 standard deviations, then I think you'd call that hititng the ceiling with a 90. That just may be the max reliability they have.

For the age equivalencies... some abilities change less as kids get older or have a mean that plateaus after a certain age (e.g. average of 24 for 8 yr, 26 for 9 yr, 28 for 10 yr, 28 for 11 yr, 28 for 12 yr; would be a plateau at a score of 28 and would report as equiv age 10+) Matrices could be something that some kids mature into quicker giving a less bell-like curve at younger ages.

Hope that helps some; I'm not specifically familiar with that test, but with testing/stats in general.

Last edited by Zen Scanner; 07/17/12 02:16 PM.
    M
    Mom2277 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you. I appreciate you sharing your testing/stats expertise. It's interesting to think of the difference between a ceiling v. reliability.

I'm a little relieved I didn't have 50 responses, saying "of course, T-scores..." smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations