Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    help me collect the wonderful stories of how teachers, schools, the internet, family members have made live better for you as a person who cares about someone who is gifted, ok?

What are we grateful for? in what ways is this life easier now in 2006 than it was 10,20 or 40 years ago?

Happy Thanksgiving -
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    For me, it's my 4 amazing boys, who keep me hopping and laughing. My strong and passionate husband. Having been able to spend so much time with my mother who was so strange and wonderful. Beautiful New Mexico Land of Enchantment, perfect weather, nice people, good community. Our health and wealth. Supportive teachers, administrators and schools.
    Cym

W
    W
    Everybody on here!!!!! I came here an overwhelmed momma and, well, I'm still an overwhelmed momma, but I know where to come for ideas and answers!!! I love the wit and wisdom and sometimes the shooting-from-the-hip.

My two bright and nutty little sons (ok not so little). Mite made the turkey today!!! He followed the instructions himself and his dad only helped him do the lifting. The only mistake he made was that he dusted the turkey baking bag with powdered sugar instead of flour. But ya know what?? It was a MARVO mistake giving a sweet salty crust to the bird and a light sweetness to the gravy. We've now written it down for family tradition. Rite made chocolate cake (from scratch) homemade whipped cream and a big fuss about having to do the dishes:^)

Mite's principal...he's always been open to my venting my frustrations and has followed through on all the issues that came up. I credit him with the success of our last IEP meeting, which I think is going to be it for awhile!! Even though we don't always agree, he's always willing to be convinced.:^)

The playground staff who care about Mite and watch out for him and are very vigilant ever since that bully kept pushing Mite in the face to take his mittens.

Mite's math teacher who has always been willing to try suggestions and has come up with quite a few ideas herself. She's gotten past the "vulture" stage and sees Mite's potential in math. "I know he knows it and its that darned dyspraxia getting in the way! He'll say it outloud but by the time it gets to the paper its wrong!!"

Mite's IEP team that finally agreed that Mite's being in the "middle of the pack" was NOT ok if it was his disability keeping him there. They finally conceded that Mite needed to have same opportunities to excel that his classmates had and that his disability took that opportunity away. They decided this week to implement numerous accomodations in the classroom including a scribe for all quizzes and tests, keyboarding instruction (!!!!), extra support for motor planning and attention issues and so on. They really came through at this last meeting. Now we just have to hope the teachers cooperate.

Rite's teachers who nominated him unanimously for "student leader", the first time in the school's history that a 9th grader has been nominated and that a kid has been unanimously nominated. They also have all told us what an incredibly intelligent kid he is and they want to advocate for him to skip to AP courses....etc. I like them!!!

Rite's soccer coaches who see his potential and determination and support him both in the sport and academically even though he's not their best player. They actually like him because of his dedication and dependability and passed over better players and gave him MVP for the season!!

Mite's old OT and her willingness to consult even though she's not getting paid. She's the one who has worked this last week to find a SIPT OT for us.

Our doctor who has been soooooo supportive, informative and patient with our family as we go through this ordeal. He actually went to conferences (one on neuromotor disorders --dyspraxia and one on high intelligences and giftedness) this summer just so he could help our family.!!

That the meal is over and I can rest!!!! (15 dishes made and devoured with only 7 left for snacking tonight and this weekend!!!)

And again for this group because there is a safe place to "brag". There is no one else, literally, I can brag to. My family resents it. Of course we all know others resent it, too. I love to read the brags on here and I love to share my own. I miss my mom (died of breast cancer 8 years ago) cuz she loved my brags.

gosh this got long

Cheers to humor, solemnity and thoughtfulness.

Willa Gayle
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm so grateful for all of us here - you are such an inspiring group to hold in my heart and mind!
    I'm grateful for DH and DS and the (other) extended family. I'm grateful for the Davidsons and all their Staff for creating this.
    I'm grateful for my strenghts and my weaknesses.
    Grateful for my 8-5 work.
    I'm grateful for all the people who have helped our children - Go DS10 private school! Go Mite's IEP team!

Grateful to be living in this time, in this place, with the people I know.

Love and More Love and More Gratitude,
    Trinity

D
    D
    I didn�t want to let this opportunity to acknowledge the person who has made the most important educational impact for our son pass without mentioning an exceptional educator and administrator. The assistant principle/resource teacher at our Catholic school was the only person in our school district who both understood and took action for our son when he was five years old. She accepted him for early entrance to first grade, recommended him for the Davidson Institute Young Scholars program, and most recently arranged for subject acceleration in math with the sixth grade class and individual instruction for English with herself.
    Our son really admires and respects her. She has always been understanding and helpful when his teachers and I were unable to appreciate the other�s perspective. The consistency of one gifted advocate in his school has made all the difference for his education and continued motivation.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Excellent! Please post your good stories. I know that they are out there. I'll always be grateful for the one wonderful year DS10 had in public school. His third grade teacher was the first teacher who really understood him. She accomidated him without any fuss. He got a year to heal, and I got a "year off." I know that an ally can make such a difference!
    Trinity

D
    D
    Willagayle,

YOur family has been really blessed recently. Congratulations to Mite, Rite and to you for all your hard work as their advocate!

W
    W
    Another thankful...seeing some light ahead

Mite's SPED teacher cornered me yesterday to spill out excitedly how much FUN she was having working with Mite!!!!! She said he was such a challenge to figure out, but she thinks she has some ideas. She showed him how to mind map for a "thankful" essay he had to write last week. He, of course, had about 35 things he wanted to be thankful for so she wanted him to narrow it down. He did and then she scribed while he composed a darling essay. It was about 7 paragraphs (his own handwritten draft was 5 lines), beautiful ideas and good enough grammar and puncutation. His oral spelling was fantastic. She ran back to the room to get the essay to show me. It really was sweet and thoughtful and well done. And HER handwriting was very attractive 8^)!! She says she is enjoying the challenge and creativity she is being allowed to use to develop a program for him. And she also said he's a joy to work with.

That's such an improvement over a few weeks ago!!!

I've been told the principal really gave the team a dressing down regarding their resistance in helping Mite.

bless him!!!!

We're still waiting to see the accomodations in the classroom. I'm giving it 2 weeks from the last IEP meeting. So, that means one more week before the whale blows!!! There has been a tremendous increase in homework since that meeting. My impression is the classroom teacher thinks that will be the answer to "providing more time for assignments".

Willa Gayle

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM