Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    solaris Offline OP
    OP Offline

F
    F
    From what I have read, the SB-LM is an old test with old norms (1970's). The test is not relevant to today's standards

C
    C
    I'd go with the extended norms on the WISC as well if they apply for a few reasons. Some of them I have mentioned on the other thread about the mom whose kiddo was just tested @ the GDC on both the WPPSI and the SB-LM. The other is, whatever one feels about the LM, it is a lot harder to use for advocacy b/c virtually no one takes it anymore for admission to programs, etc. unless they are completely unfamiliar with IQ tests. You won't be able to use it to apply to DYS, if that is a possibility either.

I can, sort of, see the point when we're talking about the current WPPSI which, I don't think, has extended norms, but in the case of the WISC-IV, and I assume the same will be true of the WISC-V, the extended norms exist. Even for the WPPSI, that won't be an issue soon anyway b/c the newer version should be on the market within months I believe and I'm pretty sure that Dr. Ruf and the GDC as well as others assisted in developing extended norms for that. I think that the same group helped with the development of extended norms for the WISC-IV as well so I'm not sure why they've clung to the LM either.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by solaris
    1. Are the Wisc IV extended norms scores comparable to SBLM scores because both go up to 200+? A tester who is quite respected in my area advised me against testing my son on the SBLM because she said it will not differ much from the Ex. Norms on the Wisc IV. I am not doubting her exactly, just wondering how this is possible when both tests are not equal?
    Oh, and in realizing that I didn't really say anything about this, no, I don't think that they are comparable. The WISC and the SB-LM use different methods for calculating IQ. The LM used a ratio IQ whereas modern tests use a deviation IQ.

Essentially, a ratio IQ was mental age divided by chronological age whereas deviation IQ looks at how much one deviates from the norm or where one falls on the bell curve. It tells you more how one compares to his age peers and is just a totally different way of figuring IQ. See this explanation: http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/IQBasics.aspx

M
    M
    I would not be testing my child on the SBLM, but in terms of whether they are the same - the SBV manual has a table comparing the SB5 and SBLM scores of a range of children, it clearly shows that there was a significant difference between the scores obtained for the two tests... Children scoring high, but not in the range that would attract extended norms on the SB5 were scoring 170+ on the SBLM. If I remember correctly most children scoring 140+ on the SBV had scored 170+ on the SBLM. The 146 WISC kid quite possibly IS a 183 SBLM kid.... I just don't see any point to the SBLM anymore though, I don't understand why it is still being used.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I'm a fan of testing to open doors. If a child tests 143, and needs 145 for a program that you absolutely feel he would benefit from, by all means test again. But if the kid scores 146, I'd move on. It really does become more about what the child continues to do in time, than some number on some day.
    Yes, that's exactly it. Kids with the same IQ scores are going to have different needs in reality. Whether the 145 kid who needs more educationally and otherwise than another 145 kid actually has a higher IQ, maybe, but it probably doesn't matter. There are few, if any programs, that have a cut above 145 or so. If a child hits that point, the doors are open and it is then up to the child, time, and whatever other factors come into play to figure out what more needs to be done for that child.

I believe that the GDC's opinion is that the LM numbers help tease out how gifted a child is when you are dealing with that tail end. I guess that I'd like to see some hard data that supports that b/c I'm just not convinced. The chart from Hoagies that I posted on the other thread shows some significant variance btwn more modern Weschler scores and LM scores but there were kids with 145 WISC/WPPSI scores scoring the same on the LM as kids with 112 WISC/WPPSI scores. That would lend toward either saying that the modern Weschler tests can't distinguish bright or MG from PG at all or that the LM is not a good way of teasing out LOG at this point, IMHO.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Solaris, in reading back, I see your kid did make DYS cuts on the WISC-IV.
    My kids are being lazy and sleeping in and dh is at work (I'm off today), so I'm spending too much time goofing off here. Dottie's comment made me go back and look @ your old posts and I see that your ds is already in DYS and was tested on the WISC-IV maybe a year ago (?). What is the purpose of retesting now other than the prior tester was inexperienced and he may not have gotten totally accurate scores? Would higher scores do anything for him or change something in terms of what you are doing for him?

Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Yes, that's exactly it. Kids with the same IQ scores are going to have different needs in reality. Whether the 145 kid who needs more educationally and otherwise than another 145 kid actually has a higher IQ, maybe, but it probably doesn't matter. There are few, if any programs, that have a cut above 145 or so. If a child hits that point, the doors are open and it is then up to the child, time, and whatever other factors come into play to figure out what more needs to be done for that child.

I agree. I'm not convinced about the LM either, but I have also heard many, many parents tell exactly the same story as solaris mentions. I continue to wonder why the test is used, but since most parents are happy to test more to figure out the "real" gifted level of their child, it does make for happy customers.

I wonder about the consequences of parents with very young children being told of 170+ IQs and how the child is super unique and will require an atypical educational situation. Being a part of PG parent communities has allowed me to see that personality, opportunity, choices, and focus matters a great deal and PG kids thrive or fail to thrive in a variety of educational environments. I don't think the IQ predicts educational needs beyond what can be seen from updated tests.

I found this excerpt from Konigsberg's 2006 New Yorker piece pretty compelling:
    Originally Posted by Konigsberg
    Since 1979, Silverman's testing facility and practice, the Gifted Development Center, has given nine hundred and eleven children I.Q. scores of 160 or above, including sixty-four in the 200s. Unless almost every young genius in the country is coming through her office, then, she is recording a far higher incidence of profoundly gifted children than the statistical distribution of I.Q. results should allow. The particular I.Q. test that Silverman, almost alone among her peers, relies on may have something to do with this. Although she begins each assessment with one of the more widely employed I.Q. tests, when a child scores extremely high Silverman goes to the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale, Form L-M.
    The Stanford-Binet was first developed in 1916, and enjoyed the status of the most widely accepted I.Q. test through three iterations, up to and including the Form L-M. The Form L-M (after the first names of its authors, Lewis Terman and Maud Merrill) came out in 1960, was updated in 1972, and then was replaced in 1986, by the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale, Fourth Edition. The update was never well liked by psychometricians, and several more recently developed tests, such as the Stanford-Binet Fifth Edition and the current Woodcock-Johnson exam, are considered more comprehensive and reliable. Silverman uses the Form L-M because it's the only version that officially calculates scores above 160. "There's nothing else to use with kids this gifted," she told me. But some critics of the test say that it not only assesses higher scores; it tends to produce them. "The Form L-M uses children from several decades ago as its comparison group, so of course the scores are going to skew much higher if it's used on today's kids--every generation of children is more academically and environmentally advanced than the previous generation," Susan Assouline, the associate dean of the gifted-education program at the University of Iowa, said. "It's not a useful test in this day and age."

There is more discussion of the SBLM use, particularly in the comments, at: giftedexchange

D
    D
    Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I've been looking around and can't figure it out--is it valid to calculate a GAI using the WISC-IV extended norms, or do you have to stick with the 'regular' scores (i.e., max 19) when calculating GAI? It seems like you should be able to add up the extended norm numbers for the GAI calculation, but I can't find anything that says that.

D
    D
    Thanks, Dottie! I've been trying to figure that out for awhile smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets