Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 366 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    It has been a very busy summer and I have had little time to post. My DGS6 has now been formally diagnosed with GAD and ADHD-combined type by the neuropsych. Our pediatrician has now referred us to a developmental pediatrician later this month to discuss fine motor skills, sensory issues and to get a second opinion on the ADHD. DGS's uncle has Tourette's, so any medications will have to be monitored carefully.

Also, we were trying to get the VT evaluation done, but DGS has a meltdown every time we go there and says we are pressuring him. We have never gotten a single dentist appointment done either! The VT doc said the developmental pediatrician will likely do similar tests to the ones they were going to do, so we are going back after school starts.

I am writing the letter this week to formally ask the school to evaluate him for and SLD in reading and writing. So far, all testing has been private. His achievement tests in reading were not on par with his IQ and his reading comprehension was a full grade level low. Neuropsych says it is a working memory issue.

Thanks for letting me rant. As if all this isn't enough, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder in the last month and have begun treatment. Life is never boring around here!

Leah

Wow!
    A lot has been going on at your house. I hope having diagnoses is or will soon be helping.
    Good luck at the developmental pediatrician visit. Hopefully some of these Professionals can do some of the advocacy work for you.

Is any treatment being offered for the GAD?
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    The GAD is at least for now going to be treated with cognitive behavioral therapy which begins soon. We are waiting on meds until we get the whole picture of his needs. It has really begun to sink in that this is the beginning of a lifelong journey of discovery for my DGS. Also, the neuropsych says treating the ADHD may help the anxiety and the self esteem issues. Six year olds should not have self esteem issues and feel like a failure at everything!

Thanks for the support.
    Leah

N
    N
    Originally Posted by leahchris
    Six year olds should not have self esteem issues and feel like a failure at everything!

I remember those days! My DS (HG, ADHD, dyspraxia and maybe dyslexia) talked about suicide regularly at that age which was hugely disturbing. Therapy and meds have been a big help. Fast forward three years and DS is a happy kid. He struggled with reading for years, but this past year finally "got" it and is now the best reader in his class. So things change smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations