Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #133115 07/02/12 06:26 PM
    S
    SDMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    and I am far from prepared. I really thought a couple weeks would be enough time to fill out the folder of paperwork the pysch gave me at our initial consult. Finally got DH to fill out his forms (she had us individually fill out an Introversion/Extraversion Continuum as well as a Characteristics of Giftedness Scale). In addition I had to fill out screening forms for Aspergers, Visual-Spatial & Short Sensory Profile. Those are all done but I still need to finish the developmental questionnaire. Told DH that I would take DS out after dinner -- before we leave I'm going to ask him to try and tackle that one.
    DS is totally cool with the whole concept. We explained to him that he was going to spend some time with a nice doctor who is going to play games with him and talk with him (we are doing this over 2 days) to help us figure out what our next steps in his education will be. He's almost 9 (OMG! less than a month now!) going into 4th grade. We tried public and he was bored beyond tears, tried one private gifted school and it just was not a fit for our family.
    Luckily we have friends who have used this particular doctor (he actually spent the morning with them while I did initial consult) so the daughter was able to tell him about her experience.
    I'm sure I'll be back to post tomorrow after we get home. Trying to brace myself to hang out in a waiting room for 3 hours...

(we are doing IQ & achievement testing as well as screening for aspergers)

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    Sounds wonderful - Good luck!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Good luck! Can't wait to hear about it. We are currently in the process as well. Day 2 today.

S
    SDMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Gearing up for day 2. Day 1 went well. He seemed to like her and feel comfortable so that's a plus. Her feedback when they were done (WISV IV) was that his working memory seems to really be lagging. So, depending on how today goes he may need more testing to sort that out. It was nice to finally have some validation that something is going on. I had asked the director/teacher at his last school about possible issues (she allegedly is well versed in 2E issues) and she dismissed it saying he was just manipulative and it was basically the result of my parenting. Grrr...
    Onward & upward ---

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by SDMom
    I had asked the director/teacher at his last school about possible issues (she allegedly is well versed in 2E issues) and she dismissed it saying he was just manipulative and it was basically the result of my parenting. Grrr...
    Onward & upward ---
    Don't you love people like that - lol? My top two favorites in re to my 2e child came from her 3rd grade teacher and a teacher who also was supposedly a 2e expert. The 3rd grade teacher told me her IQ scores were due to "good guessing" and, when I mentioned heritability of intelligence and that we knew my and our older dd's IQ scores said, "what do you know about your [dh]'s intelligence?" (yeah, he's stupid, that must be the reason dd11 isn't too bright!)

The one with the specialty in 2e, even with an ADD dx for dd, totally didn't see either "e" and felt that the concerns I voiced about dd saying that words moved on the page, her head hurts when reading, and that her slower reading speed would be an issue later in AP English were no biggie. She kept assuring me that she saw no reading problems at all in class, that she was keeping up with the reading in class, etc.

I hope that you get not only answers, but some solid ideas on how to make things work better!

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    I had asked the director/teacher at his last school about possible issues (she allegedly is well versed in 2E issues) and she dismissed it saying he was just manipulative and it was basically the result of my parenting. Grrr...
    Onward & upward ---
    Don't you love people like that - lol? My top two favorites in re to my 2e child came from her 3rd grade teacher and a teacher who also was supposedly a 2e expert. The 3rd grade teacher told me her IQ scores were due to "good guessing" and, when I mentioned heritability of intelligence and that we knew my and our older dd's IQ scores said, "what do you know about your [dh]'s intelligence?" (yeah, he's stupid, that must be the reason dd11 isn't too bright!)

Ah yes. Been there too wink (This is why we go with what we know, and not what they think)

Last edited by CCN; 07/05/12 10:06 AM.
    S
    SDMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    So far today, I've filled out CADS - Parent Version. Had him push his limits with the tester beyond acceptable. During a bathroom break she told me he is distracted so much (noise, sight, his own mind) that she's not sure what this test (achievement today) will show. frown
    Add into all that a battle via text with my DH about discipline -- it's been a rough morning & I haven't seen the sun in at least 2 days.
    She did state again this morning that we will probably have to do more testing and I will probably have more paperwork to fill out. *sigh*

~SDMom
    S
    SDMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    So testing is done. Follow up meeting on the 19th. No more paperwork! Yay. Definite 2E. Another area I need to research.

~SDMom
    D
    D
    She did state again this morning that we will probably have to do more testing and I will probably have more paperwork to fill out. *sigh*

If you are thinking 2E, I think this is a good thing. (I know, aggravating, all those questionnaires.) Better too thorough than not thorough enough.
    DeeDee

S
    SDMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Dr. called today. I thought there was going to be a problem but she cranked this weekend and is squeezing us in on Wed at the end of her day for the follow up meeting. The 2E knowledge has really helped just in this short time. It's made me more aware of where his challenges are. I'm sure I'll be back after Wed with score results if I am unclear on anything.

~SDMom

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs