Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #132780 06/28/12 05:16 AM
    C
    ccne Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I am a qualitatively gifted, sensitive and perceptive adult, but always deliberately underachieved in school, which inhibited the pronouncement of my true abilities. It is personally extremely important for me to understand and quantify why I am the way I am, but have yet to do so in any definitive way. I want to know what my actual IQ is without the distortion from my intrinsic self limiting mentality, however I have only been able to expose and utilize my full faculties when I was in danger(silly as that may sound, it exemplifies my predicament). My IQ scores throughout school seemed to decline from about 130 to 115(stanford binet) by graduation, resulting from the accumulation of my inhibition and underachievement. I am fairly certain my actual IQ is higher, based on how fast I think, learn, and perceive things, but need it measured to get a girlfriend and meet people at Mensa smile. I would like to subject my self to neuro-psychological testing, but feel it will be partially inaccurate, since I am the one in control of my responses.

What forms of assessment are least susceptible to this type of skewing?

Is it possible to develop a healthy identity without being surrounded by other gifted individuals? Are there any recommended directories for counsellors that can help gifted people grow into their own skin so to speak?

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    If you just want to know your IQ, why not do Mensa testing? That's what I did. You can do a home test first (they mail it to you and you mail it back to be marked once you've completed it). The home test is not eligible for membership qualification, of course - you need a proctored test for that (I did both).

The home test is only as accurate as the degree to which you follow the instructions. Use a timer, and follow the exact time frame that they give you. Make sure you've had adequate sleep, proper nutrition, and prevent all interruptions (I unplugged my phone). They mail you the results to let you know if your score would have qualified you for membership, and then you can decide if you want to proceed with the proctored test.

You can skip the home test, of course - you don't have to pay to do both. Once I got my score (IQ 153) I wondered why I'd wasted my time at home and not gone directly to the supervised test.

Btw, I've never actually been to a Mensa function (I found my husband without an IQ test ;-) ...I just wanted membership status to put on my resume since I've never gone to university (long story short: anxiety, apathy and indecision got in my way).

Last edited by CCN; 06/30/12 02:13 PM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by ccne
    My IQ scores throughout school seemed to decline from about 130 to 115(stanford binet) by graduation...I am fairly certain my actual IQ is higher, based on how fast I think, learn, and perceive things, but need it measured to get a girlfriend and meet people at Mensa .
    A couple thoughts:

Mensa is heavily skewed toward men so maybe a good way for a woman to meet a boyfriend, but maybe not as good of a way for men to meet girlfriends (not impossible, certainly, but your odds aren't as good if this is your purpose in joining as it would be were you female).

Like the pp, I'd suggest just taking the Mensa admission test. Should you not qualify, you can always submit other evidence if you have or get it.

Regarding your statement that you took the SB repeatedly throughout school, if you have the results from those earlier 130 test scores, you can also submit those if they are on school letterhead or signed by a licensed psych with his/her license #. I believe that you only need to have one score at that point even if it is quite old. For that reason, I'm pretty sure that more than 2% of the population would qualify for Mensa.

I guess I'm not really understanding completely why you want the information. In what way has your previous IQ testing interfered with your goals and aspirations?

It sounds as though you'd like a higher number to serve as...

motivation for self-improvement?
    a boost to your self-esteem?
    explanation for a feeling of alienation from most people you know?
    a desire to feel superior to others?
    a way to make up for feelings of disappointment regarding your education/career/accomplishments?
    a factor in deciding a path forward in your life?

What if 115 is your IQ? Modern research has suggested that IQ may not be as static throughout a lifetime as was previously assumed. Perhaps your actual IQ has drifted downward over time as you've underachieved.

How will that make you feel?

Supposing that your IQ is 150-- what then?

There is a risk in that number becoming a burden in a variety of ways, a (false) badge of honor that defines you, or even an emblem of wasted potential and shame/guilt.

My advice is to ask yourself very carefully what use this information will be to you, and to examine your reasons for wanting it.

It won't make you a different person. It won't change the past. It won't entitle you to much of anything. It might change your self-perception fairly significantly; that might be a good thing if the results are better than you expect, and it might be a worse thing if they aren't.

You also asked something that I found quite odd:

"Is it possible to develop a healthy identity without being surrounded by other gifted individuals?"

Forgive me for saying so, but it sounds as though you are wondering if diversity is "harmful" to the development of a sound self-image, ultimately. I think that is obviously absurd in its own terms.

If by this you meant "affirmation" of gifted traits, then yes, exposure to other gifted people seems to be reassuring to such children, and lead to healthier development (which is an argument in favor of ability grouping and gifted identification in schools).

Most of the people I encounter in the course of living my life are distinctly average and not at all gifted, and this has always been true. Furthermore, it's entirely irrelevent to them that I am gifted.laugh (If I offer my credentials/bona fides out of context, in fact, I have probably just irrevocably labeled myself as socially illiterate or worse.) This may come as a shock, but-- nobody gives me a special express lane at the grocery store, a passing lane all my own on the freeway, or special consideration at book club meetings. Not for my PhD, not for my IQ score. Upsetting, truly-- I earned that degree through my own hard work, after all. wink

While I can (sort of) understand wanting an IQ number, knowing the number really doesn't change anything about an adult's life circumstances. In children, there is a very fundamental reason to know; that being that gifted children are almost inherently asynchronous in development. Presumably this is not really true for most adults over the age of about 26.

My IQ really doesn't define me, and in some ways, being fully aware of possessing a number over 150 makes life harder, not easier. Why? Because it invites me to limit "intellectual peers" in an inherently artificial (and unhealthy) manner.

Some average people have things to teach me about being a better person, or a happier, more fulfilled one. I have certainly learned patience and compassion from those whose processing speeds are slower than mine. I don't pick potential friends by what their IQ's are-- because it's inherently not a very sensible thing to do. (I say that from the perspective of being 45 years old, however.) When you've seen one gifted person, you've seen ONE, basically, and that is also true for ALL people.

My spouse's IQ value is lower than mine. Significantly so, in fact-- about 10 points on averaging multiple measurements. The reality, however, is that he is far more 'mathy' than I am and probably has a faster processing speed numerically, but my spatial skills and raw problem-solving ability exceed his. On the old S-B, that latter ability led to my higher scores. The day-to-day reality is that it isn't of much practical significance. I know these things to be true because I've spent two decades with him. I'm so lucky that my score didn't intimidate him or make him feel insecure!! smile And, no, while both eligible, neither of us has ever belonged to MENSA. We met in graduate school. Which is sort of like MENSA for more pragmatically-motivated gifted people, frankly.

We are adults. Learning as adults is frequently about desire for self-improvement/enrichment far more than it is about ability or grouping with age-mates. My husband and I are both curious and like learning and pursuing our passions (which are varied and esoteric). That trait is something we have in common. The same might be said of a friend with an IQ of 115, though, if that person is also curious and shares some of my interests, and might be untrue of someone with an IQ of 150 who happens to (in my estimation) be an arrogant, closed-minded jerk.

IQ is quite a crude tool for understanding likely differences in necessary educational environments in children. I'm not convinced that the information has much meaning for adults. It does have the potential to create barriers for us psychologically, however, and that is why I'd urge some introspection about the 'why' of such a desire.

Why not proceed on the basis that your suspicions about yourself are true and pursue life on those terms? Why not begin living as though that number were what you think that it SHOULD be? What could be wrong about that?

I hope that you don't find this offensive; it isn't that I'm saying that you are not correct in your personal insight into your previous underachievement. I'm just saying that there may be a dark side to actually knowing, and I'm not really seeing what the benefits would be.

If you have never had a chance to do so, you might consider reading about Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration. I suspect that you may be a relatively young adult (?), and if so, it is entirely possible that what you're experiencing is perfectly normal in that context.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    erm, I read the "get a girlfriend" part as something like "I have my own reasons for wanting to know, but I don't wanna tell you what they are, so don't ask."

Which seems fair to me.

I have reasons for wanting to know about myself, but they're bad ones, so I'm not telling about them either. No matter how much I tell myself they're bad, I still wanna know... so maybe if I were a little more mature I'd go get tested wink

OP's questions at the end are aufully good questions, though I think the second one is probably "no"?

"surrounded" doesn't mean the same as "surrounded exclusively" --adding an element to diversity doesn't damage diversity. Jus' sayin' wink

I'm a bit curious why the dominant opinion (I've seen roughtly this question here and elsewhere before) seems to be "don't do it, it's not worth knowing?" There's a lot of things I'm curious about that aren't worth knowing, but the questions kinda burn my brain until I go looking. Why is this particular question so charged that it's worth saying "don't do it?" Eh, Eh, Eh?

Shutting up now, sorry for the boat rocking smile

-Mich

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Yes, I wasn't presuming to feel entitled to any answers to the questions that I posed. Not at all-- only that the OP should probably ask them of himself.

Ahhhh...

while I am also curious, I've learned the hard way that seeking data which is "maybe useless/not useful/ambiguous" presents problems of its own. Is it accurate? What does it mean? Is there any HARM in having the information? This is the same argument against full-body, 'just because' MRI's and CT scans, expense aside. If you learn something that you can't DO anything about, or maybe something that you can do something about but probably shouldn't...

make sense?

So. IQ and adults. In adults, largely, IQ has nothing to do with destiny. Motivation and persistence have MUCH more to do with success than IQ does.

If you're happy, successful in a competitive field/endeavor and consider yourself "capable and intelligent" then what good would it do to discover that your IQ is actually only 105?

On the other hand, if you're lonely and living in your parents' basement delivering pizzas as a high-school dropout, what good does it do you to learn that your IQ is 165?

It just gives you a reason for self-doubt in the first instance, and maybe arrogance/guilt/shame in the second. It's not really very useful in either case, and the number (whatever it is) can't be used to fire the first person any more than it can be used to secure admission to an Ivy League school in the second.

As adults, we largely are what we make of ourselves and our potential. The arguments in favor of IQ testing mostly apply to children.

Bottom line-- this is something for which there is no "un-do" switch. Once you know-- you know. That's why it seems to me to be a good idea to make sure that it's really what you want/need to do.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    So. IQ and adults. In adults, largely, IQ has nothing to do with destiny. Motivation and persistence have MUCH more to do with success than IQ does.

So true. (SO true, lol!)

For the most part, it's just a number.

For myself, however, it proved valuable because it gave me insight in to why I've always been "different." I've always been more sensitive, more reactive, more obsessive, more idealistic, more easily distracted, more intense, etc etc etc etc (did I mention etc? ;-) You guys all know.

Even though I knew I was clever, I wasn't educated in some of the behavioural differences that can go along with this. My friends all handled me with kid gloves, telling me I should "get help." I was made to believe there was something wrong with me, and I was plagued by the fact that no one understood me.

I was in my late 20's when I did the testing, and it helped to give me an idea of how differently I was wired. Not "wrong," just different, and to what degree.

It was almost like... a diagnosis, of sorts, and things started to make more sense for me. I started being a little kinder to myself.

(LOL oh and I was SO MAD that I scored below 160... so funny). Ah, I was young and silly.

Now I don't really care because as HowlerKarma says, it's what you DO with what you have that counts. Still, testing (as an adult) really helped me.

Last edited by CCN; 06/30/12 07:40 PM.
    If all you want is to apply for Mensa, old scores or the Mensa test are easy and inexpensive options.

If you are looking for a better understanding of yourself, your strengths and weaknesses, and whether your underachievement was related to a learning disability or other issue, an assessment can give you much more than a full-scale IQ score. A cognitive assessment can give you a breakdown of your performance on various subtests, and a skilled psychologist can work with you to interpret the results in a meaningful way.

I have had an assessment as an adult, and it was a valuable experience that gave me new insights.

Howler, I'm not sure why you seem to be focused on possible harm from testing. Testing is just information. Harm may come from how we interpret it, but in my opinion helpful insight is more likely... indeed if we are so invested in a particular score that this knowledge would be harmful to the self, it might be a really good idea to examine our beliefs about IQ.

I agree. Much more useful to have a cognitive assessment.

(Hi Cathy!)

I don't think that I'm really focusing on probable harm-- just noting that it's not entirely without risk.

The underlying reasons for seeking the information are pretty important in determining risk vs. benefit.

A belief in underachievement suggests to me that the OP may be vulnerable to attaching a lot of self-worth to the single value from a "true" test to determine IQ. I think that you're correct that it may be more insightful to seek a more complete kind of picture when something like significant underachievement is suspected.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/30/12 07:52 PM. Reason: to answer C's second post

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM