Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #132986 06/29/12 10:45 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Hi,

We used EPGY a couple a years ago via this forum and would like to start
    again - this time with both kids.
    Which group would have 2 openings for us ?

Thank you very much for your help!

Licorice26 #132989 06/30/12 04:12 AM
    D
    D
    Hi,
    We are using EPGY but I'm not sure what you mean about using it via this forum--I thought you could only choose individual instruction with a tutor ($$$) or, if you happen to be in a school where there are a certain number of kids (maybe 8 or more?? can't remember) taking it, you can do a cheaper 'open enrollment' plan without a tutor. Is there another option for ganging up in an online group? If so, I would be interested, because although our tutor has been lovely it is not a service we have needed yet (in the past ~4 months).
    --Dbat

Licorice26 #132993 06/30/12 06:48 AM
    C
    C
    There was an open enrollment group that got together on this forum. The person who serves as the contact point for that may or may not post here anymore. Its been a while since I've seen her posting here, but if you search EPGY open enrollment here you might find contact info. I thought that they had loosened up their open enrollment guidelines as well and weren't requiring people to join as part of a group, but maybe I am wrong. We used EPGY for one year but not in a while.

Cricket2 #133000 06/30/12 12:00 PM
    A
    A
    That's my recollection, too, Cricket - that you can do open enrollment without a group for an amount very slightly more than the with-a-group amount.

AlexsMom #133001 06/30/12 12:44 PM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    That's my recollection, too, Cricket - that you can do open enrollment without a group for an amount very slightly more than the with-a-group amount.

Huh...I'm wondering--how long ago did you guys participate? Here's all I can find on the EPGY site:

"Who can enroll
    School Open Enrollment is intended for groups of at least eight students from a participating school. School Open Enrollment is also accessible to groups of home-schooled students, or students who attend different schools within manageable geographic proximity and come together to form a learning community. Each school group must have a designated School Support Associate.

How to enroll
    School Open Enrollment is available to all school or learning communities in which there are at least 8 interested students. If your school already has a participating group, you can register in School Open Enrollment immediately. The list of participating schools is available in the drop down menu on the Sign up page. Upon enrollment, you will receive the name and contact information for your School Support Associate.

If your school community is not currently participating in School Open Enrollment, you can submit an interest form to have your school considered for inclusion on the list of participating schools. Once your request is evaluated and processed, we will contact you with all necessary registration information. Students may then sign up at any time during the year for 10-month or 5-month enrollment periods. Both enrollment periods include all three courses offered through Open Enrollment."

(all at http://epgy.stanford.edu/school/openenroll/info)

Does this sound like a policy change to you, AlexsMom and Cricket2??

Thanks,
    Dbat

Licorice26 #133002 06/30/12 01:29 PM
    A
    A
    Yes, something has changed. The site we used (summer 2010) was here: http://epgy.stanford.edu/openenroll/signup.html

Access to EPGY courses is no longer available through this portal.

To enroll in EPGY courses, please register your student at http://epgy.stanford.edu/school/openenroll/signup.

Bummer. I suspect they found that tech support made it uneconomical. There was some stuff (specifically, the geometry items) we never could make work. Schools have to provide a buffer person to handle that kind of thing.

Licorice26 #133006 06/30/12 05:16 PM
    D
    D
    Thanks for replying, AlexsMom--I'm glad to know I'm not missing something, but that is a bummer. We've found a couple of bugs from time to time but they did warn us and it hasn't been too bad. Given the cost and because it seems like there are quite a few people using it I'm surprised there still are bugs; I would think they would have worked them all out, given that the material probably doesn't change much over time. But overall I'm happy with it and glad for the opportunity to have DD be able to learn this stuff online! It's so much better (for both of us!) than me trying to work with her out of a text book.

Licorice26 #133037 07/01/12 02:52 PM
    M
    M
    EPGY did discontinue the Individual OE program, they have not said why but I suspect support was a problem. The group OE program continues with the changes mentioned on the site. Right now I cannot access the class itself, I crashed another computer and am trying to get the new one up to speed. (I am currently working with EPGY, there seems to be problem with the newest versions of IE and Mozilla, they aren't working with Java right now.) Otherwise the group started here is still active. I'm just not here as much as I used to be, I've gotten into a groove of sorts with my DC.

Last edited by melmichigan; 07/01/12 02:52 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Licorice26 #133191 07/03/12 01:54 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    thank you all of you for all the information! My older son used
    to really love it - so I can't wait for the younger one to start with it as well. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM