Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    Jack's poetry reminds me so much of Shel Silverstein....I have many of his poems STILL memorized. Thanks, BarbaraJean!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Try the Cricket in Times Square series (George Selden). Lovely stories, humorous moments.

Unfortunately, also appalling racism. The Chinese character is a capering caricature, bowing to and "young master"ing a small child. It's a shame, because I agree that the book is otherwise lovely.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by AlexsMom
    Unfortunately, also appalling racism. The Chinese character is a capering caricature, bowing to and "young master"ing a small child. It's a shame, because I agree that the book is otherwise lovely.

Yep. That chapter was the subject of much conversation at our house, about dialect and caricature and perception of "others" and all sorts of things like that.

I still think these particular books are worth keeping. (Unlike the Bobbsey Twins, which I jettisoned wholesale; the racism is much more pervasive throughout the stories there.)

DeeDee

Yes, we read all kinds of books like that, but have spent many years laying the foundation for recognizing the framework that setting creates in terms of normative beliefs that we may not share or espouse as "true" in our own home. A side benefit of this early exposure is greater tolerance and an automatic evaluation of author bias and motivation in ANY material; that skill is a treasure later in evaluating primary source material in high school and college. Just noting that. wink

Huck Finn is the classic challenging novel this way, of course. I find it ironic that the attempts to 'sanitize' this particular novel seem to miss the teachable moment there entirely. As Atticus Finch gently explains to Scout... "It's common," which is a great introduction to what that word means, and how it is lovely in that context to have used it so ambiguously. But I digress.

------------------------------------

I think that the rubric used for 'AR' is full of baloney, myself, and interest is often the larger necessary component for a precocious reader (I second "Sideways School" and "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle" by the way). Some other reading material at this approximate level and which is both more-or-less appropriate and interesting to 6-9yo kids:

Beverly Cleary's work
    Edward Eager's work
    Enid Blyton's work
    L. Frank Baum's 'Oz' books
    The Series of Unfortunate Events
    Spiderwick Chronicles (series)
    Mary Poppins books (again, older series, so some gentle discussion may be in order)
    Little House books
    The Boxcar Children (series)
    The Great Brain (books)
    Time Warp Trilogy (series)
    Redwall
    Erin Hunter's books (ugh... but my DD was obsessed with them for years)

Most of these are series. There's a good reason for that. LOL. Voracious readers, especially young ones, seem to just devour individual books in such short time that it hardly seems worth the recommendation if there isn't at least a sequel. Series mean that at least you can just remember the author. I'll make an exception for a pair of books by Kate diCamillo-- Despereaux, of course, but also Edward Tulane. Both are very appealing to younger kids, but are beautifully written.

Another place that I recommend parents look when they have a 6-10yo with a Lexile way beyond age-mates is the ALA's Newbery award lists. These have the advantage that they are instantly recognizable to educators everywhere, and they possess a practically unassailable seal of approval as to 'quality' of material. (Yeah, I know-- but it's an easy way to get kids appropriate material without going through a lot of hoops with a teacher who is skeptical about out-of-level reading.)

There are now over 90 Newbery winning books, and hundreds of honorable mentions since 1922! For kids under 10, it's probably good to preview anything nominated after 1975, since those can deal with more emotionally challenging and distressing content.

It's a challenge to keep a bibliophile child 'well-fed' and happy, but it's also completely worth it! smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Hi
    I second the wayside stories, and also the my weird school series by Dan gutman, he also has one about aliens in the same vien. If you haven't seen the a to z mysteries or the capitol mysteries those are good too. My DS also really enjoyed nonfiction and advanced picture books which have lots of information. The magic school bus original pictures books are great and then the chapter books. Howler Karma NASA has a great list and recommendtions - although I can't get my DS into most as he likes futuristic over old fashioned and the language seems to deter him for some reason!

DeHe

M
    Mom2KC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Wow, what an amazing amount of responses and suggestions!! Thank you all so much!! I have a lot of ideas now!

barbarajean: those poems are so funny!! K does have a couple shel silverstein books, her favorite is "Dont Bop the Glop" so those poems would be right up her alley.

B
    B
    The Belin-Blank Center in Iowa has school year weekend programs, summer programs, evaluations, counseling etc. for gifted students. They are also involved with supporting gifted students in the Iowa schools.

The Belin-Blank Center
    600 Blank Honors Center
    University of Iowa
    Iowa City, IA 52242-0454

http://www.education.uiowa.edu/html/belinblank/

PS I'm glad you enjoyed the poems.

Originally Posted by Mom2KC
    Wow, what an amazing amount of responses and suggestions!! Thank you all so much!! I have a lot of ideas now!

barbarajean: those poems are so funny!! K does have a couple shel silverstein books, her favorite is "Dont Bop the Glop" so those poems would be right up her alley.

If you love Prelutsky's poetry, check out John Grandits' two poetry anthologies:

"Technically, it's not my fault..." (about a gifted 8-10yo narrator's experiences)
    and
    "Blue Lipstick." (about an older sister)

The title poem in the first of these is like a perfect homage to being an HG+ kid; the poem is about the reason why dad's car has a concrete block sitting where the windshield used to be. laugh

It begins:

I know, I know. You're really mad. But I can explain. See, I was reading about Galileo, a guy who made all these great discoveries and did cool experiments. And the book said...

It goes on like that, with the type getting progressively smaller and smaller.

There are also poems devoted to imaging the school bus as a human-eating dinosaur that regurgitates its prey at school, one about multiple choice tests (in the context of being gifted), one about invasive species, etc.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/28/12 10:13 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    That chapter was the subject of much conversation at our house, about dialect and caricature and perception of "others" and all sorts of things like that.

Which is why I wouldn't recommend it to an unsuspecting parent as a humorous book appropriate for a 7yo, without a heads-up about the content. We got an enormous box of (mostly Newbery award / honor) books from ebay when DD9 was 6 or so, and I read every one of them before handing them over, but I wouldn't necessarily do that for a book that had been recommended without reservation.

At our house, that particular book isn't read. My kid is already aware that white people see Chinese people with their expectations more than with their eyes, and I see no reason to rub it in. Fortunately (or not), there are plenty of books suitable for conversations about the pervasiveness and general acceptability of racism, that don't carry the additional emotional burden of targeting her.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Yes,it hardly seems worth the recommendation if there isn't at least a sequel. Series mean that at least you can just remember the author. I'll make an exception for a pair of books by Kate diCamillo-- Despereaux, of course, but also Edward Tulane. Both are very appealing to younger kids, but are beautifully written.
    I agree about the series idea, and about Despereaux - lovely and funny.
    When I was a kid, the series thing wasn't as entrenched - except for Hardy boys, Nancy Drew, Little House and 'Shoes if I remember. So I created my own series by finding an author I liked and reading everything I could get my hands on by that same author. I still do.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM