Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #132725 06/27/12 06:47 AM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Does anyone have any experience with this type of school?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_school

KJP #132726 06/27/12 06:49 AM
    I remember reading and watching some videos about the Sudbury Valley School a while ago.. seems completely amazing for the right kind of kid. I think that kind of school would be amazing for my son...

~amy
    KJP #132750 06/27/12 02:11 PM
    M
    M
    I LOVE the concept! and I think that a lot of gifted kids would thrive in that kind of democratic environment where they are the masters of their own academic fate

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    KJP #132755 06/27/12 03:06 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I think it looks like a great idea but worry about how it would play out in practice. I think a lot of the schools are really small. If most of the students spend all day watching TV and playing video games, I think it could be bad. If they are out exploring and playing with each other it could be great.

KJP #132764 06/27/12 04:18 PM
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    I went to Summerhill School: www.summerhillschool.co.uk/
    which the Sudbury school was based on (it is not "the first of its kind" as stated in Wiki).

I went there for 8 years and loved it. My brother probably would have been diagnosed with adhd, oppositional, anger issues etc if they did that back then. We tried 4 schools ranging from straight public to co-op alternative before my mom finally decided for the sake of his happiness and everyone else's sanity my brother should go to Summerhill. I demanded to go to on the grounds that it was unfair to send him to England and not me. My mom was right, my brother thrived there (and so did I).

It was a very happy childhood, and I go to the 5 year reunions whenever I can. I wish I could have afforded to send my girls there. Most of my friends from there are now happy and well-adjusted adults, some are now doctors, dentists, chiropractors, teachers, restaurant owners, writers, musicians, producers etc.

When I went we averaged 60-80 students, we did not have cell phones, TVs or computers so I don't know how technology might have changed the dynamic for today's students but really, I think those things are escapes and at Summerhill there was nothing to want to escape from. If we got bored, we would round up other kids for a game or climb a tree, go have an adventure in the woods or hang out in the art room or woodworking shop or dance. Ahhh the good old days!

KJP #132826 06/28/12 11:44 AM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks Nik for sharing the link. It looks like an awesome learning environment and I am glad to hear from someone with firsthand experience. I think my son would thrive in that setting. We'll keep it in mind for when he is older.

I couldn't find the cost on the website. Do you know what the tuition is like now?

KJP #132895 06/29/12 06:47 AM
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    If I recall correctly it was about 12,000.00 British Pounds a year which depending on the exchange rate is roughly $24,000.00, add to that 3 round trip plane tickets a year...

My best friend is sending her 2 DDs there currently and I believe that is what she said she was paying for each of them but that could include the 10% discount for former Summerhillians.

(Edited to add: I just heard back from my friend and she said its around 3,000.00 British Pounds a semester for the younger pupils and 4,700.00 for the older ones with a discount for siblings (3 semesters a year) I think it gets more expensive as they get older because they eat more and they getget a higher weekly allowance (pocket money) which is included.)

One cool benefit beyond freedom and a happy childhood is a worldwide network of lifetime friends and an exposure to many cultures, the development of critical thinking and leadership skills. There is a cool drama now on youtube that was made about the school's battle with Ofsted that give a little peak into the heart of the school

KJP #133005 06/30/12 04:05 PM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I appreciate the information and the movie was great. I had never seriously considered a boarding school. Mainly because the stereotype I had was of starched uniforms and harsh disciplinarians smacking kids' hands with rulers.

I looked into a Sudbury school within a commuting distance but I just don't think it would be a good fit. There were fewer than a dozen kids and most were siblings. I think the cultural exposure and leadership development would be lacking in that setting.

I will keep Summerhill in mind. I think it sounds great. My husband thinks our son would be heartbroken by boarding and feel like we discarded him. First, I doubt that. For one, we wouldn't be discarding him. Second, I am more concerned about the impact of a poor school fit. On him and on our family. Given the options in our area and my son's personality, I could easily find myself in your mother's place in the future.

Thanks again for the information.

KJP #133032 07/01/12 10:17 AM
    S
    S
    I had never heard of this school. And a little googling tells me that there is one opening in my town this fall. Their Facebook page has 133 likes so it seems that there may be interest -- tuition is a manageable rate. I'm thinking of throwing it into our list of possibilities to present to the psych who is doing our DS8's testing this week. One of the main reasons we are having him tested is to get a grasp on what learning environment would benefit him best. Public didn't work, a small (6 students total) gifted private didn't work. They have an info session coming up, I might need to attend.

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    KJP #133243 07/04/12 08:21 AM
    N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by KJP
    I will keep Summerhill in mind. I think it sounds great. My husband thinks our son would be heartbroken by boarding and feel like we discarded him. First, I doubt that. For one, we wouldn't be discarding him. Second, I am more concerned about the impact of a poor school fit. On him and on our family. Given the options in our area and my son's personality, I could easily find myself in your mother's place in the future.

I don't think anyone at Summerhill feels discarded, I remember adults asking questions like "why would your parents want to send you away like that?" I always answered "because they loved me enough to care more about my happiness than anything else"

If you are seriously considering it, I wouldn't wait too long, I don't think Summerhill will take kids older than 11 because by then they are either too broken or it's just too difficult for them to adjust.

I went when I was just about to turn 9, my brother was almost 10. Oh, and we were both gifted, I believe many of the students who go there are.

A lot of parents who send their kids there do so because they had bad school experiences themselves as children and they want something better for their own kids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM