Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I have wondered how the science curriculum should be changed for gifted math students, the vast majority of whom will not become mathematicians.

The Avid Academy in California recommends http://www.avidacademy.com/courses that a physics course be taken in 8th grade after Algebra I is taken in 7th, followed by AP Physics B in 9th grade, AP Chemistry in 10th, and AP Physics C and AP Biology in 11th and 12th, in either order. Usually physics is taken only in 11th grade in the U.S., perhaps because students do not have the math background for it in earlier grades.

The EPGY Online High School lists Sample Courses of Study with a focus on humanities, math/science, or advanced math at
    http://epgy.stanford.edu/ohs/samplestudycourses.html . Like Avid Academy, its math/science track also has students taking AP Physics B in 9th grade.

My perspective:

I'm a physical scientist by avocation and training, as is my spouse, and we've both been post-secondary educators in those disciplines as well...

plus our DD is a high school student at the moment, and has definitely got substantial math and science ability/interest.

Her acceleration in math seems to be about right, and this is probably an area where she is more like EG rather than purely PG. That is, she has to work at anything beyond Geometry, though we still find areas of intuitive understanding of concepts and she certainly learns much more rapidly than other classmates.

With that said, I think that the EPGY model has a lot to recommend it, here.

DD could (maybe 'should') have, IMO, taken AP Physics B this past year, while she was taking Algebra II. I would probably hold off on AP Physics until after a student has completed Geometry, simply because so many courses up to that point either skim or don't cover the geometry concepts presented in the texts at all. That material is useful in Physics, even in algebra-based physics, IMO.

I don't necessarily think that taking AP physics this early is the right move for all mathematically gifted students, some of whom may well prefer as less practical/applied approach to things.

For mathy kids with a more theoretical bent, I'd probably enrich mathematics with statistics, modeling, or economics instead after Algebra I, Geometry/Algebra II.

My daughter is not one of the 'theoretical' kind; she did not enjoy Economics with its modeling, but really relished her semester of introductory high school physics as a 9th grader. She's a more 'applied math' mathy kid.

Does that help?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Very interesting topic - thanks, as usual, for bringing it up!

It's on my mind these days too, mostly because ds13 just set his probable course of study in high school in consultation with the heads of the math and science departments at the high school he will attend this fall.

Years ago, I followed what I have long assumed was the common path in high school: Biology, Chemistry and Physics, in that order. But the math and science heads advised ds to take AP Physics B in 9th, AP Physics C in 10th, AP Chem in 11th, and AP Bio in 12th. (Their advice was based partly on the fact that he took Bio in 7th and Chem in 8th via CTD.)

I thought maybe his path was atypical because his math sequence is unusual -- he's aiming to take a joint AP Calc BC - AP Physics C course in 10th. But the science head actually said he thinks this science sequence makes a lot of sense on its own terms, because he thinks of biology as the most complex or interdisciplinary of sciences (sorry, I can't remember his exact choice of words).

So it was very interesting to read that EPGY and Avid Academy recommend a similar course of study.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations