Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 345 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    Mom2KC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm not sure how to write a post without it turning into a long drawn out book about my trials and tribulations with my daughter. I will try to shorten it as much as I can. I will call her "K". K is 7 and going into second grade this year at a public school.
    K started reading at 3 1/2 years old. And just a few months into kindergarten the teacher took notice and started her on the AR program reading 4th grade level chapter books, K did wonderfully with the books and that was great. The problem- all through kindergarten K did not learn a single new thing as I had already taught her all those lessons before she even entered kindergarten.
    Then when the next school year started and she was in first grade (which she just finished) the reading and her attitude towards school went a little south. The teacher started her on 3.5 grade level books and K never moved up from there. This time all the students were enrolled in AR and the teacher was more focused on the amount of books read and the students would get rewarded for testing so often in the week. K started choosing books with big pictures and big words so she could try and keep up with the amount of books read that the other students were reading. Problem is they were reading kindergarten to first grade level books and they could read them and test the next day. That being said K never tried bettering her reading level all year. Not only that but all the material taught again she either already knew or she learned it very quickly. She was told to color when she was done with her work and so she spent most of her class time coloring rather than learning new material. She was enrolled in a Talented and enrichment pullout class but that only met a couple hours a week.
    That leads me to where I need some advice. We at this time cannot afford private school. Do I keep things the way they are and continue to challenge her at home? Do I home-school? Do I get a tutor? She extremely shy so pulling her out of public school and homeschooling her might not be good for her, plus I have no idea how to home-school. Are there any other options for her? I don't consider her a child prodigy by any means but she learns and masters material at such a fast rate and on the school's state tests she scores way above the average I would have to look again to know the exact numbers. We live in Iowa by the way if that means anything

One more question: I'm looking for a good series of 4th grade level chapter books that have a lot of humor in them.

Last edited by Mom2KC; 06/26/12 08:15 PM.
    You mentioned that she isn't learning anything at school. How does she feel about this? Is she happy at school? At home?
    Can your family afford homeschooling? Are there homescooling networks near to you?
    I think homeschooling won't be a problen for a shy kid if you are willing and able to haul her to homeschooling activities. The social time is richer often.
    A good place to start is to call the gifted coordinator at the school and ask for a grade skip. That will get the ball rolling for IQ testing and maybe choosing teachers who will be more thoughtful. Read through the posts here about advocacy and homeschooling. Look at your state education website to see what the state policy on gifted student is. Join your state gifted association and attend their programs and ask around. Call the flagship state university and see if they have someone to advise you.

That AR problem has happened to many gifted kids. Lots of gifted kids who are not prodigies need modifications in their educational plan.

Keep posting and letting us know how it goes.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    F
    F
    Try the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books. They are charming and funny in a very innocent, old fashioned way. I read them to my kids and some chapters made them collapse with laughter, especially a chapter in one called "The Fighter Quarrelitis Cure." (BTW, I was looking for level 4 AR to see what books are at that level and saw a whole list of Berenstain Bears books. Seriously? They also are delightful books but 4th grade?) Any, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is around AR 5.

M
    Mom2KC Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Grinity: She enjoys gym, music, art and recess at school. However she complains about classroom time and being bored. Thanks Grinity for all the advice I will look into all of that and talk with my husband. I really wasn't sure on what steps I should be taking. K, at 7, is my oldest. I also have a 4 year old.

Fwtxmom: Thanks I will look into Mrs. Piggle Wiggle! She is currently reading Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel and it is so cool to watch her erupt in giggles while silently reading lol

C
    C
    I'd also consider a grade skip or at least requesting a meeting with the GT coordinator for the district to do an Iowa Acceleration Scale on her to see if she'd be a good candidate for a skip or subject acceleration.

My oldest's best year in language arts pre-skipping was 3rd and that was b/c she was placed in an accelerated 4th grade language arts class for that part of the day with a really, really good teacher. She got to skip out on all of the drill of third grade LA: cursive practice, reading logs, grammar, etc. and instead focus on learning how to do research reports and develop presentations on the material she had researched, read unabridged classics, and generally just learn something.

FWIW, I don't consider my dd a prodigy either but she's done really well with grade acceleration, subject acceleration, and more atypical interventions that not everyone in GT/enrichment programming considers.

In regard to good 4th grade level books, these aren't necessarily funny, but my dd loved the old Choose Your Own Adventure books when she was reading at about that level. I know that they've reissued some of them and I don't know if they are the same as the old ones, but it became a bit of fun haunting used book stores to find CYOA books that we didn't already have in our collection. If I think of anything funny at that general reading level, I'll post it too.

E
    E
    Popped in to say welcome! I'm fairly new, and everyone has such great information.

Cricket2...I was obsessed with those books as a kid. In a world pre-World of Warcraft or Club Penguin, it was as close as one could get to a customized story. My how things have changed! ....well, there was Oregon Trail on the giant Apple computer in class, but I always seemed to die of dysentary.

E
    E
    Oh yeah...forgot to mention books: I know they may be dated, but Judy Blume has a special place in my heart. Tales of the 4th Grade Nothing and Superfudge are funny.

U
    U
    Sideways Stories from Wayside School are really funny, or so I am told. Not sure of reading level, but around there, I think.

D
    D
    Try the Cricket in Times Square series (George Selden). Lovely stories, humorous moments.

DeeDee

B
    B

Poetry books by Jack Prelutsky. In 2006, Prelutsky was named the first Children’s Poet Laureate by the Poetry Foundation. He has written poetry specifically for kids about topics that are in their lives. His most well know poem, "Homework Oh Homework!" is great! It is so funny, it is in his book,
    "The New Kid on the Block". Also his book, "Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem " is great ! and gives humorous background info of his real life experiences as a kid that he has used to write some of his poems, along with some of his poems and writing tips.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/187-6456790-0456238?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Jack+Prelutsky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Prelutsky

Two excerpts;

Homework! Oh, Homework!
    I hate you! You stink!
    I wish I could wash you away in the sink,
    if only a bomb
    would explode you to bits.
    Homework! Oh, homework!
    You're giving me fits.

I'd rather take baths
    with a man-eating shark,
    or wrestle a lion
    alone in the dark,
    eat spinach and liver,
    pet ten porcupines,
    than tackle the homework,
    my teacher assigns.

Homework! Oh, homework!
    you're last on my list,
    I simple can't see
    why you even exist,
    if you just disappeared
    it would tickle me pink.
    Homework! Oh, homework!
    I hate you! You stink!

Jack Prelutsky

Wonder Why Dad Is So Thoroughly Mad

I wonder why Dad is so thoroughly mad,
    I can’t understand it at all,
    unless it’s the bee still afloat in his tea,
    or his underwear, pinned to the wall.

Perhaps it’s the dye on his favorite tie,
    or the mousetrap that snapped in his shoe,
    or the pipeful of gum that he found with his thumb,
    or the toilet, sealed tightly with glue.

It can’t be the bread crumbled up in his bed,
    or the slugs someone left in the hall,
    I wonder why Dad is so thoroughly mad,
    I can’t understand it at all.

Jack Prelutsky
    Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry
    How to Write a Poem

For Virginia Duncan,
    my wonderful editor

My Father’s Underwear
    I’m going to admit something to you. When I was a little boy, a looooooong time ago, I was not the best-behaved little boy in the history of the United States of America. It’s true! Every once in a while…actually pretty often…okay, every day, I did something that made my father mad at me.

My father was a wonderful man, but he was only human and did have his limits, so he got mad at me, and I’m sure I deserved it. When my father got mad at me, he did not run around and jump up and down and get all bent out of shape and yell and scream and cry and tear out his hair (he couldn’t do that anyhow, because he was bald) and get hysterical and throw a tantrum. No…that was my mother’s job.

My father was just the opposite. He suddenly got very quiet. His eyes narrowed, and his face grew serious, with the Western gunfighter look that says, “You got till sundown to ride on out of town or I’m a-comin’ for you.” His voice got very soft and very deep, and he simply gestured to me with his index finger and said, “Come here, son.” Uh-oh! I knew that when my father said “Come here, son” in that certain special way, I was in big trouble.

You may wonder what I did in that situation. I did exactly the same thing that most of you would do. I denied everything. “No, no, Daddy!” I said. “I didn’t do it. I’m innocent. I’ve been behaving. I’ve been a good boy…but I know who did it. My brother. He’s right over there. Get him!” Amazingly, sometimes that worked. Sometimes it was even true. But of course my brother did the same thing to me, so it kind of evened out. Sometimes I got punished for things he did, sometimes he got punished for things I did, sometimes we both got punished even though we didn’t do anything, and sometimes we didn’t get punished at all when we deserved it. It all evened out.

One of the things that I did to make my father so mad at me was to pin his underwear up on the wall. Before I did that, though, I decorated it. You see, my father wore really boring white underwear, and I wanted to make it pretty, so I painted it with finger paint. Then I pinned it to the wall. My father didn’t like that at all.

Once I put a bug in his coffee cup, and another time I put breadcrumbs in his bed. I did lots of other stuff too. I made a list of all the things like that I could remember, then picked some of them to put in a poem called “I Wonder Why Dad Is So Thoroughly Mad.”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM