Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    I've never, before this thread, ever heard anyone referred to as a gifted reader...
    Personally, if someone were advanced a bit in reading but showed no other signs of giftedness, I would not tend to call them gifted, but rather a "strong reader".
    I have b/c it is one of the domains for a gifted id in my local schools. There are truck loads of kids with a "gifted in reading" id. Their ids usually come from a combo of 95th percentile SRI lexile or NCLB or MAPs reading scores coupled with behavioral rating scales or As in reading or a CogAT reading subtest in the 95th percentile.

Point being, it isn't an unheard of area in which to be called gifted. I, personally, tend more to agree with you that gifted isn't about production or strong reading skills but rather differences in the way the brain processes information.

So the psych's diagnosis is legit? confused

G
    G
    i would say some of the psychs diagnosis is correct.

you are clearly an articulate and thoughtful girl. thus i do not think he is right about your IQ. it is not an accurate measure of your abilities. most 18 year olds i know with IQs of 100 cannot string together a sentence and are not reading books for fun.

but i cannot stop asking myself why you care so much. why is your identity so wrapped up in what some professional using clearly inadequate instruments thinks of your intellect? or why you care so much about the opinion of strangers on the internet? It leads me to think either 1) you are a troll just messing with us. or 2) you are seeking something you are not finding in your current environment. and the dissonence you feel is causing you to try to grasp at things to try to force them together to make sense.
    perhaps you are one of the different ones, not fitting where you were planted and not yet knowing how to find a place to fit.

I would encourage you to continue to seek something more. it may lead you on an exciting journey. you may never find where you belong. but the journey just might be extraodinery.
    you say you are 18. are you done with high school? will you be able to go to college. are you feeling like you want to go on to more education but cant go on to college because of the expense. do your parents not value education? or think you arent suitable for college?
    you are not your parents image for you. you are not the limits of some experts assessments. you are whatever you can grow to be. and you have a lifetime to do it in.
    keep reading, keep dreaming. but in the meantime figure out how to get to the next place you want to be..........

R
    OP Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by g2mom
    i would say some of the psychs diagnosis is correct.

you are clearly an articulate and thoughtful girl. thus i do not think he is right about your IQ. it is not an accurate measure of your abilities. most 18 year olds i know with IQs of 100 cannot string together a sentence and are not reading books for fun.

but i cannot stop asking myself why you care so much. why is your identity so wrapped up in what some professional using clearly inadequate instruments thinks of your intellect? or why you care so much about the opinion of strangers on the internet? It leads me to think either 1) you are a troll just messing with us. or 2) you are seeking something you are not finding in your current environment. and the dissonence you feel is causing you to try to grasp at things to try to force them together to make sense.
    perhaps you are one of the different ones, not fitting where you were planted and not yet knowing how to find a place to fit.

I would encourage you to continue to seek something more. it may lead you on an exciting journey. you may never find where you belong. but the journey just might be extraodinery.
    you say you are 18. are you done with high school? will you be able to go to college. are you feeling like you want to go on to more education but cant go on to college because of the expense. do your parents not value education? or think you arent suitable for college?
    you are not your parents image for you. you are not the limits of some experts assessments. you are whatever you can grow to be. and you have a lifetime to do it in.
    keep reading, keep dreaming. but in the meantime figure out how to get to the next place you want to be..........

Let me start by saying I’m definitely not a troll; I’m not trying to mess with anyone. I really am having these issues, and my scores really are as I’ve posted. I’m not making any of it up. I really am confused and conflicted and worrying like crazy over this.

To be honest, I was really surprised when the results came back and my IQ was average. Reading so much as I have about early reading and giftedness, I thought for sure my IQ would at least be in the 120s. I certainly wasn’t expecting some genius score or anything like that, though. I think part of the problem is that, because I couldn’t afford private testing, the free testing was concerned only about addressing my LD issues and nothing else, so it wasn’t as comprehensive and was more focused that a full assessment would’ve been.

I think the reason I seem so wrapped up in this is because after years of research and believing I was a gifted reader and that it explained everything (reading before K and on a nearly 7th grade level in 4th with full comprehension despite parents who don’t read), I was finally tested and proved correct, and then I come on here and everyone’s telling me I’m not a gifted reader and I feel absolutely crushed.

I wish I could just trust the psych’s judgment.

I got my GED last year. I can’t afford college, but am pursuing a career as an author/aikido instructor.

Thanks for your time.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by ReaderGirl
    I've never, before this thread, ever heard anyone referred to as a gifted reader...
    Personally, if someone were advanced a bit in reading but showed no other signs of giftedness, I would not tend to call them gifted, but rather a "strong reader".
    I have b/c it is one of the domains for a gifted id in my local schools. There are truck loads of kids with a "gifted in reading" id. Their ids usually come from a combo of 95th percentile SRI lexile or NCLB or MAPs reading scores coupled with behavioral rating scales or As in reading or a CogAT reading subtest in the 95th percentile.

Point being, it isn't an unheard of area in which to be called gifted. I, personally, tend more to agree with you that gifted isn't about production or strong reading skills but rather differences in the way the brain processes information.

I don't think that any of us could say yes or no to that b/c there is no consensus as to what defines gifted even among experts in the field. Apparently the psych who tested you defines gifted in such a way as to include you under that umbrella. Others might do the same, others might not. Heck, others might exclude kids who fit my definition of gifted as well.

Point being, like I and others have said, why does the label matter? If it is to figure out what makes you different and where you fit, define yourself however you want and, if you find your people among those who define themselves the same way, then you are good whether people on the internet agree with the term you are using or not.

C
    C
    Let me start by saying I’m definitely not a troll; I’m not trying to mess with anyone. I really am having these issues, and my scores really are as I’ve posted. I’m not making any of it up. I really am confused and conflicted and worrying like crazy over this.

To be honest, I was really surprised when the results came back and my IQ was average. Reading so much as I have about early reading and giftedness, I thought for sure my IQ would at least be in the 120s. I certainly wasn’t expecting some genius score or anything like that, though. I think part of the problem is that, because I couldn’t afford private testing, the free testing was concerned only about addressing my LD issues and nothing else, so it wasn’t as comprehensive and was more focused that a full assessment would’ve been.

I think the reason I seem so wrapped up in this is because after years of research and believing I was a gifted reader and that it explained everything (reading before K and on a nearly 7th grade level in 4th with full comprehension despite parents who don’t read), I was finally tested and proved correct, and then I come on here and everyone’s telling me I’m not a gifted reader and I feel absolutely crushed.

I wish I could just trust the psych’s judgment.

I got my GED last year. I can’t afford college, but am pursuing a career as an author/aikido instructor.

Thanks for your time.
    You and I were posting at the same time. This is a tricky one and I have just a few things I'll try to put together concisely. I can see as how having your self image questioned (average IQ, feeling that others are telling you that you are wrong) could be crushing.

I do know children and younger teens who read at a level similar to what you describe (started early, read around 7th-8th grade level by 4th grade) and who have had IQ testing done more than once on full measures (WISC, SB) and who have smack dab 50th percentile IQ scores. Knowing some of these kids, I honestly don't doubt that the IQ measures are accurate. They are good kids, great students, great readers, but not high IQ kids.

I don't think that it is out of the realm of possibility to say that someone with an average IQ can be a very advanced reader or very advanced in some other academic area. That isn't what I personally define as gifted, but as I said in my last post, there are so many different ways of defining gifted now a days that it is totally cool for you or the psych who tested you or any expert who defines gifted as high achievement in a domain to call you gifted.

The second thing is that you are posting on a forum where a lot of people have highly to profoundly gifted children by IQ measures. Our opinions are skewed as a result. We are probably looking for something more extreme as a result. Don't let us crush your self concept.

What brought you here in the first place if you were already inclined to view yourself as a gifted reader and the psych agreed? What left you asking if his report was right in the first place?

G
    G
    "I was finally tested and proved correct, and then I come on here and everyone’s telling me I’m not a gifted reader and I feel absolutely crushed. "

so stop listening.
    you do not need external validation to be a person of worth.
    not from your parents and not from folks on a web site you never met.
    you have great drive if you got your GED and are still striving to learn more. why did you pick Aikido? what draws you to this?
    begin to think about the positives in your live and moving forward. not the negatives and "might have beens"
    a test is just one momnet in time. if you are from people who are not educated ( like my family)perhaps you have that awe or innate respect for professionals like they have some power to see more. well guess what? they dont. they have tools they learn how to use. and they use them. just like aikido.
    do not assign more weight to an IQ test than it is worth. it doesnt make you or label you. unless you let it.
    Likewise the high scores dont label or make you either. they are just measurements made on one day by one guy using an imperfect yardstick.
    plus you are not average. if you were you wouldn't be on this board seeking answers. you would be in nail school or cosmetology school or sweeping up in a shop thinking about school or looking for a guy to take care of you.
    Though there are some people on this board who came from poverty and were able to get educated over time, most people on this board come from pretty priveledged backgrounds and cannot relate to your values or reasons for your angst.
    I was lucky and got scholarships eventually. It is really hard for kids now because college is so expensive and taking on a debt is not something that should be done lightly.
    but you can find free classes about writing and reading online and even at local libraries and community centers. Our library has a writers group that meets regularly and they take turns reading and commenting on one anothers work. there are also writiers workshops that have scholarships for promising young authors. there are more ways to learn for someone as bright as you without college. or without college just yet.
    You can always go later if the opportunity presents itself and you still want to.
    dont look for external validation. trust what you know to be true. and follow your dreams. they will be what you will write about later.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by g2mom
    Though there are some people on this board who came from poverty and were able to get educated over time, most people on this board come from pretty priveledged backgrounds and cannot relate to your values or reasons for your angst.
    I do want to apologize if I am one of the ones who is making you feel crushed. I struggle between being honest with what my personal beliefs and definitions are and being kind to someone who is young and who may have, for all we know, incorrect measures for her.

For what its worth, I do not come from privilege although I cannot claim to come from poverty either just somewhere in between. I have been living on my own since I was 16 and moved out of my parents' home, though, and did put myself through college. I do understand feeling alienated and misunderstood and I do have to admit that having the understanding of myself as gifted once I realized that was what was going on with my children has been healing for me. I would not want to deny someone else the same and my definition of gifted may be as incorrect as the next person's.

I really am confused and conflicted and worrying like crazy over this... I was really surprised when the results came back and my IQ was average... I think the reason I seem so wrapped up in this is because after years of research and believing I was a gifted reader and that it explained everything (reading before K and on a nearly 7th grade level in 4th with full comprehension despite parents who don’t read), I was finally tested and proved correct, and then I come on here and everyone’s telling me I’m not a gifted reader and I feel absolutely crushed.
    I'm seriously not trying to crush your ego. My wish for you is that you liberate yourself from these feelings.

You know that you'll never be the most gifted person out there in any particular area, right? Someone will always be a more gifted reader by your definition-- reading earlier, more ahead by the fourth grade, or whatever. This will hopefully come as a sort of relief; no matter how hard you try, you're never going to be at the top of the measures you are a bit fixated upon.

When you think about this, maybe you should consider why it is important to you that you see yourself as better than the great majority of the people out there that are average. Is it to give yourself courage, by thinking that even though you are just a GED holder you can achieve more in life than many with better credentials? (For what it's worth, I dropped out of high school at age 13 and later got my GED. Now I woudn't call myself a very high achiever or anything; I spent a decade in software engineering, where I certainly was at the top of my particular area of the game, and made some good money, but never achieved real fame and fortune. Later I went to law school and did well, but wasn't top in my class, partly because I have a tendency to focus very deeply on topics that interest me. But fairly often I've humiliated ultra-high-on-paper achievers in court, people from Harvard Law, people with vastly more experience, etc.)

You know that giftedness doesn't directly determine success in life, right? Quit stressing about this; it's a losing game. You will wind up either feeling like you're not living up to your potential, resting on your laurels ("I've achieved so much despite such humble beginnings, all due to my ability"), feeling bad because you don't stack up to others higher up the rankings, or something else that doesn't wind up helping you succeed.

It really doesn't matter how gifted (whatever that means) you are at this stage in your life; it matters what you do. Set yourself some goals and work toward them as hard as you can. If you really try as hard as humanly possible-- and I mean try so hard that you nearly break yourself-- you will almost certainly get somewhere that's good to be, even if you don't live up to your original self-concept in one way or another. Personally, I think it's more likely that you would exceed whatever you think yourself capable of by fixating on a couple of facets of your psychologist's report.

Let it go. Let the psychologist's determination that you're a gifted reader be a happy little nugget of self-confidence that no one can take away from you, and go on with your life. Don't doubt yourself because of your history, your parents' reading ability, or anything else. Just get on with becoming whatever you will become.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    R
    OP Offline
    R

I don't think that any of us could say yes or no to that b/c there is no consensus as to what defines gifted even among experts in the field. Apparently the psych who tested you defines gifted in such a way as to include you under that umbrella. Others might do the same, others might not. Heck, others might exclude kids who fit my definition of gifted as well.

Point being, like I and others have said, why does the label matter? If it is to figure out what makes you different and where you fit, define yourself however you want and, if you find your people among those who define themselves the same way, then you are good whether people on the internet agree with the term you are using or not.

OK.

I think I'm just looking for an answer to everything, as to why I'm different, why I'm bored a lot. That kind of thing.

So, basically, I can trust what my psych said as long as I understand that my scores/diagnosis are going to mean different things to different people/professionals?

Can I ask why there's even a gifted label to start with? Isn't "advanced" a good enough term? Excuse me if I'm being REALLY naive here! smile

C
    C
    OK.

I think I'm just looking for an answer to everything, as to why I'm different, why I'm bored a lot. That kind of thing.

So, basically, I can trust what my psych said as long as I understand that my scores/diagnosis are going to mean different things to different people/professionals?
    Sounds good to me smile !

Can I ask why there's even a gifted label to start with? Isn't "advanced" a good enough term? Excuse me if I'm being REALLY naive here! smile
    I don't think that's naive at all in that it is something that is frequently discussed among experts in the field and parents alike. I think that, initially, the term gifted was in place to distinguish high IQ from other things, but then it morphed to mean a lot of different things. The term itself is not well loved b/c it implies that those who don't fall under that umbrella are lacking gifts.

eta: I've always liked this essay b/c it defines gifted more as a qualitative difference, which is what I see it as as well: http://www.georgeparkyncentre.org/documents/high-achievers-pdf.pdf

For me, that's the reason "advanced" isn't enough b/c it isn't just about academic advancement.

Last edited by Cricket2; 06/17/12 06:30 PM.
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM