Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Okay, friends. Our ds 6 yrs, 2 mo completed the WISC IV yesterday! Where I liked the psychologist, I did not feel I understood him well. He kept telling me about the politics of "giftedness". Frankly, I guess he took away the "specialness of it for me!" All that aside, I just wanted to understand my son's results! I'm hoping someone on here can enlighten me! smile

I am wondering why the huge gap in Verbal Comprehension and Perceptual Reasoning, if I need to worry about that, etc?

What is a GIA? We were not given that number? What would ds's be?

What does this gifted label really mean? With the different levels of giftedness, I guess I am torn about how special his needs are...I get his is not profound, I never thought he was, but what does HIS level mean? I've read all the articles, I want real people's opinions!

Will his school finally take us seriously? (sarcasm!)

Any info/ideas you have would be appreciated! Thanks! smile

Verbal Comprehension
    Similarities 15
    Vocabulary 13
    Comprehension 13
    Composite Score 121
    92%

Perceptual Reasoning
    Block Design 17
    Picture Concepts 17
    Matrix Reasoning 17
    Composite Score: 143
    99.8%

Working Memory
    Digit Span 14
    Letter-Number Seq. 18
    Composite Score: 135
    99%

Processing Speed
    Coding 12
    Symbol Search 15
    Composite Score: 121
    92%

FSIQ 138
    99%

R
    R
    Very impressive scores my son has the same discrepency (even more so) in his VCI/PRI. If we find out why I will let you know. However even with the large discrepency your son has done very well in both areas. The GAI is the VCI and PRI together. I know they consider the difference as significant when it is 23points or greater. So since your son's is 22 it is still in the normal range. I would ask them if they think you should be concerned and to explain why they think so. I would also ask them to calcualate his GAI and let you know what it is. They shouldn't have a problem with that. His FSIQ should be high enough for any gifted program.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by isugrads97

Welcome to the politics of giftedness wink

You have a very bright young boy! What are the options for your ds at school? Have you approached the school previously, or will this be your first attempt at advocating for accommodations/services/etc?

Re will the school take you seriously, when our ds was in 2nd grade, our school psych made a very snide remark in a team meeting along the lines of "any child who can sign their name can score at the 99th percentile on the WPPSI" (which ds had taken prior to entering kindergarten)... *if* you run into attitudes like that, you need to just calmly state what your ds' scores are, what they mean, where he most likely falls relative to the other students in his class.

Was achievement testing included with the testing, or does your school do any type of standardized/norm'd achievement testing? It can be very helpful to have the achievement testing along with IQ testing when you're advocating for acceleration and/or differentiation.

Good luck!

polarbear

Mr W's difference was 30+ points with the VCI being lower. His achievement tests are uniformly high.

So, as the psych told us, he was not really into the verbal part of the test.

G
    G
    The answer to your general gifted questions are best answered with another series of questions:

What was the purpose of testing? How is he doing in school?

The GAI is 139. It should only be reported when >7 points above the FSIQ, which it isn't in this case.

The scores are very close to my DS' scores at the same age. Our result, together with achievement testing, was for a drastic math acceleration and a grade skip.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by isugrads97
    Frankly, I guess he took away the "specialness of it for me!"

I actually shared a similar experience today on my blog - truth is that you will likely always be somewhat at odds with the school, but you'll definitely come to a place where you wrap you head around what it means for your child to be gifted. It isn't a proclamation of future success - it's information that helps you help your child become successful through better understanding what they need to learn and progress.

Last edited by ABQMom; 06/04/12 02:00 PM.
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    You guys are awesome! I appreciate the replys and can't wait to hear your responses once I answer your astute questions!

Roxieb73: I will be VERY interested to hear what they say about your son! Good luck! I certainly hope you get more info!!! I will be grateful if you pass it along!

Polar Bear:
    Welcome to the politics of giftedness ---Ha! Thanks! wink I'm learning...uh!

What are the options for your ds at school? Have you approached the school previously, or will this be your first attempt at advocating for accommodations/services/etc?

We do NOT have gifted services at our school. We live in IL, which is apparently not the best state for gifted services.

We did advocate for our son, however and here is our story. Well, Let me start off by saying I think we just hit back luck in terms of teachers. At least that's what lets me sleep at night! wink This was his first year of school and it did NOT go well. For his Kinder year (half day) he came home BORED or should I say disillusioned. He was so excited to go and LEARN. Well, of course that wasn't in the cards! Sadly, his teacher was NOT equipt to have a kid like him. She differentiated by putting him in a corner completing worksheets, if anything. She was VERY inconsistent! So we went to the administration. We didn't complain about her at all, just said that this wasn't enough. He moved my son to first grade for math acceleration only, at our request. We were thrilled! The problem there was that the first grade teacher did not believe in acceleration and made it horribly tough on my son. She'd email home about NOTHING trying to make it something, with lines like, "see this is what you get when you try to do two grades at once." etc. You get the drift. Also mentioning often that my son seems to not be "focused". We'd get ONE line in the message that said, "but he aced his tests." She clearly doesn't get it. Uh! Finally, we find out that this principal is leaving...Our barely there support is out the door. That about sums up our year...Sad. I'm so prayerful this incoming administrator is willing to help us a bit more, but as evidenced by our experience, it is all dependent on the teacher's themselves, isn't it?!

Was achievement testing included with the testing, or does your school do any type of standardized/norm'd achievement testing? It can be very helpful to have the achievement testing along with IQ testing when you're advocating for acceleration and/or differentiation.

Our school administers the MAP. This is how we were initially taken seriously. My son's scores were off the charts all year in both math and reading. Math 209; Reading 195 for Kinder

We chose to privately test with the WISC at our local university. Even though our principal seemed supportive, in our last meeting, even he did not feel acceleration or a skip was our best option for next year and that the first grade teacher would be able to differentiate enough. His comments were that other kids were catching up and that our ds was not that atypical. That obviously this year showed him it was too much to try to subject accelerate. Honestly that ticked me off. Here my kid is multiplying and dividing and his age-mates can barely count to 100.
    My dh and I both decided we really just needed more information so that we could finally feel confident ourselves to begin advocating again next year. They just made us question ourselves, ya know? I know you do, by reading of your experience. I'm booing the snide remarks you were given! frown

Austin-That was our answer too...that he just wasn't that into the verbal section. I just needed more...and I guess I was hoping that was it. lol.

Geofizz-I think I answered the why test question in my comments to polar bear.
    In terms of how he is doing in school, I will reiterate it's hard to tell with the lack of support we saw this year. He has a clear understanding of the subject matter for sure and he's NOT a behavior problem at all! Our biggest issue are boredom and the fact that he looks like he's not focused. Our psychologist told us that looking unfocused could look like ADHD, but was VERY typical of someone who scores so highly in Perceptual Reasoning and not an issue for our son at all. lol. We find that to be true at home too. He can watch a movie with his sister/play around, etc. and run back to the kitchen for our game night and trounce us all at Qwirkle without even trying! It's actually pretty amazing! I'm glad to have that knowledge under my hat as well.

I'm curious, how did the acceleration and skip work for your ds?

ABQMom-I laughed, cried and cheered reading your blog. You're ME! smile Thanks for making my day!

ALL- When I hear my own story even I cringe. How could BOTH teachers be so bad? How could even the principal state that my son isn't that special? Maybe he's not, maybe we are those nutty parents and don't realize it, etc. That is why we had him tested. We needed answers! Apparently the achievement testing just wasn't enough for them.
    All these struggles he encountered this year have been heartbreaking. This gifted road is a blessing and a curse, so utterly disillusioning. We are trying to get information, advocate and find our balance. None of which is easy. School has really been a sad experience thus far and we just want to help him navigate it better in the future. Any help you all can give is appreciated. We appreciate the support and understanding!!!! We just want to meet with this new principal and teacher and have a PLAN! I can't let another year slip away or watch my ds's confidence in himself deteriorate any further.

That being said, I'll ask again, what does all this mean? Looking at all his scores, what are the needs of a boy like him?

xo

H
    H
    Hi isugrads97!

I am very new to all this as well so do not have much to offer in the way of insight. But I just wanted to say our sons have very similar scores as well!

VCI: 124
    PRI: 139
    WMI: 138
    PSI: 126
    FWIQ:140

So maybe we can advise one another as we learn along the way! I too am trying to figure out what to do regarding school and it was recommended by the tester to place him in another district with a self-contained gifted program. But we are not sure moving is necessarily the right answer. The whole thing is pretty overwhelming.

Oh and I saw that you are in IL. Did you know the SENG annual conference is in Milwaukee this summer (July 13-14) I am not sure where you are in IL but thought if you were in the Chicago area this might interest you. I will be visiting family around there and plan to drive up to Milwaukee for the conference.

Good luck and I will watch this thread with interest to see all the replies you get. The people on here are so knowledgeable and helpful.

G
    G
    You asked how our skip/acceleration went-- DShad just 9 weeks in 2nd grade math this year, and his skip to second takes place next year. The math went fabulously. The key to the success was that the receiving teacher adored him, and everyone was supportive of it. While DS bombed the speed tests, he didn't make any mistakes. We'll be deciding where he'll go after the end of the first quarter next year.

We also had achievement testing to help push things. I don't know how they compare with MAP scores. While DS' scores were a "once in a career" type scores for the principal, the school initiallybalked at my request to put him in second instead of first grade math. I watched a whole hour's math lesson in each grade, and sent a very neutral description of what I saw to our educational advocate (hired on behalf of my daughter, but quickly redeployed for DS), who came up with this arrangement - 4th quarter 2nd grade now, then 1st quarter next year, with his ultimate placement to be decided Nov 5 of next year.

G
    G
    You asked about two bad teachers:

For what it's worth, I bet they aren't bad teachers. DD has had ONE wholly positive experience with a teacher. The rest have been really rough, including the gifted teacher. A very good, very experienced teacher is not going to look very good or experienced when presented with a very unusual kid. The fact of the matter is that the teacher doesn't have experience with a kid like yours. The situation is compounded by the fact that they don't likely have the resources to figure out why your kid isn't clicking with the situation. After all, she's got tons of experience! So her logic is likely to go along the lines of "well, I'm super experienced, and if my big bag of tricks isn't working in this case, it must be the kid.". We've even encountered this for two teachers this year who have looked me in the eye and stated "In all my years of teaching, I've never encountered a kid like yours."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM