Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    NWEA uses 95th percentile to identify as gifted. I would ask for them to reconsider based on their own data. If they do not want to do so, I would ask who has the authority to make such a decision and go from there.

http://www.nwea.org/support/article/997

Unless your school has some sort of HG/PG program, 138 is extremely high. If you cannot get them to classify her as gifted, then you'll need to work on her individual academic needs each year with each teacher.

C
    C
    I'm with everyone else, I'd absolutely want in writing both your dd's score and what the cut-off for admission to the GT program are. Also, I'd be inclined to see if you might get better services at a different school given what you are describing. I've generally found that kids with VCI scores in that range absolutely cannot get their academic or social needs well met with differentiation in a traditional classroom.

U
    U
    I am also going to join in the chorus--138 is not gifted?? Where are you located?? Are you absolutely certain that was the score and the test? Could it possibly have been 128, not 138?

My DD's verbal IQ tested in about that range and she would absolutely be wilting on the vine if made to stay strictly on grade level for reading. Your poor DD.

J
    J
    OP, I'm right there with everyone else in questioning why your DD would not be admitted to your district's gifted program. If you have her score in writing, then I'd be sure to obtain the official gifted program requirements (in writing) and suggest you post the highlights here so that the great experts on this board can help you continue advocating for your DD.

Not that it helps, but I sympathize with you. Our school district spends lots of time/effort/energy keeping kids out of gifted programing. I may have an idea of the kind of frustration you feel, so hugs to you.

Z
    Zebras Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    I haven't made an error, it is a 138 - the percent listed next to it is 99%. I have the score in writing.

Thank you all for your comments - the district makes me feel like I'm unusual and "pushy" for wanting more for her. The data and comments validate our thoughts and feelings. I'm dreading another year of "I'm so bored, can't I just stay home."

I wish I could find a document by someone "famous" in educational circles that states that a 138 cannot be accomodated in the regular classroom. If anyone knows of such a document, please let me know.

Thanks again!

R
    R
    I do not disagree that your child should be supported as a gifted child, and I encourage you to keep advocating for services. I do want to let you know that it might not be as bad as it seems to have your child in a regular classroom, but it all depends on your child's teacher. My child with a 139 PRI on the WISC has absolutely had her needs met in the regular classroom this year. They have been met, though, by a teacher and an assistant teacher who both parent gifted children themselves. It just all depends on the willingness of the teacher to differentiate and on the personality of the child. Good luck with your efforts in getting your child serviced!

Last edited by revmom; 06/06/12 08:55 PM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Zebras
    I haven't made an error, it is a 138 - the percent listed next to it is 99%. I have the score in writing.
    So, what is their cut-off for GT programming admission then? The only thing that would make any sense to me is if they have a program only for HG++ kids (99.5 or 99.9) and you live in an area where there are a lot of MG kids (truly a lot in the 98th percentile area) so they can actually create a true peer group for kids in the 98th and 99th percentile in the regular class.

FWIW, it still sucks if that is the case b/c 139 is the 99.5th, so she would have just missed that cut, if that's it, by one point which is well within the error of measurement.

U
    U
    Yeah, what Cricket2 said. Since you said this is a public school, the most logical conclusion is that you must be in a very highly educated area with a very high # of MG kids and that they cannot handle that large # of kids in the gifted program. Therefore they have limited the program to HG+ and PG kids. Does this sound right? In a way, this seems like it should be good news for your DD--she should, in theory, have lots of peers. OTOH, you say that she is being made to read on grade level, which does not sound good at all. Do you know any other parents of bright children? What are they experiencing and are they equally frustrated? I understand if you don't want to reveal your location, but knowing more about your area and the school would probably help.

Z
    Zebras Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    I'm on the East Coast. Yes, there are probably many advanced children here. I'm trying to ferret out other parents to determine the general climate. (You don't know the ability of children so it is often best to say nothing.) I think it will be very teacher dependent next year. They also could be canceling or modifying the gifted program and that could be why she is not going to be in it. I'm wondering if they are moving it up to a higher grade level and don't wish to rile up parents for summer. Thanks for the data. I'm hoping to meet with the teacher when school starts to see if something can be arranged.

So Zebras,
    What about asking for a gradeskip? I also think you should ask what the cut off is for enterance into the gifted program, but unless that program is daily and covers at least half of the school hours, it's really not going to solve your problem. If they have kids who score similarly on the MAP test in her classroom, then well that's fine, but if not, she needs to be in a classroom where the other kids are ready to learn what she is ready to learn.

Don't worry about what they think of you! Be firm and polite, and be sure to know that there is suffering going on at home. Bless those children who 'hold back' at school and act like everything is fine and save if for home. That's a great skill to have, but if she won't be the squeeky wheel, you have to out her. That's the parent's job. ((shrugs))
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...