Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #129741 05/15/12 06:43 PM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Does anyone have experience with this? We are trying to get DD9 back on track as far as rekindling her interest in reading and creative writing. We've done all the usual things-- trips to the library, very relaxed creative time at home. She is showing interest in doing it, which is a far cry from the apathy we've seen earlier in the year. (She has been back and forth, but right now wants to do it.)

Is it as good an experience as it looks on the website? DD likes the book selections and the samples of writing activities they can choose. We are looking at the early summer session- 10 weeks total with 12 weeks to complete.

Is three hours truly a realistic estimate of the time needed?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by master of none
    you might also consider onlineG3.org.

http://www.onlineg3.com/mod/page/view.php?id=15423 (.com, not .org)

Having looked at their classes, IMHO my DD-almost-9 would not be well-placed in the summer Shakespeare class (there's a lot of Romeo and Juliet that would be way over her head socially, even if it were written in modern English at Twilight / Hunger Games reading level), but would probably enjoy the school-year classes.

Thanks!

M
    M
    Hi,
    It's been awhile since I visited this site....glad to provide feedback on the CTYOnline Young Readers series, please feel free to PM. Both my girls did this, summer after their 3rd and 4th grades (one took two different Young Readers classes). We signed up exactly for the reasons you state...reading and creating writing enrichment, that has some weekly structure, but is not onerous. I thought it was excellent for that purpose, the 'blog" online platform where the students chose the questions that they wanted to answer and respond/share ideas with other students made it fun. The teacher provided weekly feedback to your blog writing, focusing not on grammer/writing structure (that's CTY writing classes), but more on the ideas and your interpretation of the novels. I don't recall it taking too much time from their summer activities, and they enjoyed the interactive aspect.

M
    M
    Hi,
    It's been awhile since I visited this site....glad to provide feedback on the CTYOnline Young Readers series, please feel free to PM. Both my girls did this, summer after their 3rd and 4th grades (one took two different Young Readers classes). We signed up exactly for the reasons you state...reading and creating writing enrichment, that has some weekly structure, but is not onerous. I thought it was excellent for that purpose, the 'blog" online platform where the students chose the questions that they wanted to answer and respond/share ideas with other students made it fun. The teacher provided weekly feedback to your blog writing, focusing not on grammer/writing structure (that's CTY writing classes), but more on the ideas and your interpretation of the novels. I don't recall it taking too much time from their summer activities, and they enjoyed the interactive aspect.

Master of None: which CTY writing class did your DD take? Curious..my D took a CTY writing class the following summer, but, it was e-mail format so only interacted with the teacher on weekly basis...

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks for the feedback! We signed her up and she is looking forward to starting in a few weeks.

D
    D
    My son is taking the Greek Myths CTY course this summer.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM