Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #131149 06/03/12 06:22 PM
    F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    So DD3.5 was dx with Sensory Integration Disorder. It has taken me ages to find an OT to work with. We did finally start about 6 weeks ago with an OT who is just starting up her own business. We have seen great strides. It seems those strides are there after therapy and then fade. That made me think that an intensive program may really lay a foundation upon which to continue to build upon. I found Star Center on the web and wondering if anyone has used their services and what they think.

T
    T
    Would you mind describing what you see in a child with SID?

D
    D
    We looked into the Star Center, but they do not take private insurance. We we referred to another provider in the area called " Sensory Pathways for Kids". We are very happy and our son is a different child after six months of once weekly therapy there. The Gifted Development Center referred us to Unique Prints, as they have extensive experience working with HGT children. Best of luck to you.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you Denvermom for your info. The website for Unique Prints does not seem as well put together as the Star Center. We will be traveling from out of state. I know one can not tell all from a website. The Sensory Pathways for Kids seems not to do intensive. I am thinking that a intensive foundation maybe a good thing. Again thank-you.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Tinymoonbeams... I am not sure I can tell you what all the different ways a child with Sensory Processing issues can look like. This website seems to have a lot of information www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/

My little one has had mild issues from very early on and has had numerous diagnosis. This diagnosis explains a lot. The biggest red flag for me was her lack of drive and motivation to pursue physical developmental milestones. She had very little motivation to learn to crawl, walk or furniture cruise. It was more like she stumbled on these skills rather than pursued them herself. In regards to physical endeavors she approached them very lethargically. When she goes to put her hands on the ground she is very tentative and usually uses the tips of her fingers. She hates dirty hands. When she was younger and eating with her hands we had to wash them many times during a meal. This one is going to sound a bit strange... We say that she has a very discerning pallette since I do not like the label picky eater. Her diet is quite limited and she will lose weight rather than eat. One dx she had for quite a while when young was failure to thrive. Anyways the more she walks around outside on different materials barefooted the more variety of foods she will eat. So those are a few things... Ohh and until we started OT she would not swing. She is now swinging!!! good luck!

S
    S
    I don't have any personal experience with them, but I was thinking about taking my son there after I read this family's account (In Particular 3/24/10). The mom has several posts about the process and mentions some interesting things. I thought a little more input might be helpful for you. It's hard when you're far away to know what's best.

Originally Posted by flower
    Anyways the more she walks around outside on different materials barefooted the more variety of foods she will eat.
    Interesting... I have a lot of trouble with DS2.5 and eating. He's an odd combo of seeker and avoider. Good luck with your daughter, hope you find some answers. If you do go to the Star Center, I'd love an update on how things went.

Originally Posted by tinymoonbeams
    Would you mind describing what you see in a child with SID?

If you're looking for more info and examples, www.spdbloggernetwork.com and http://spdfoundation.net/ are good places to start as well.

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks Somerdai...I think I only went through half a box of kleenex! Any information is helpful. It is quite the investment and not something you want to waste your money or your time...They do not have openings until September... So we are working through it all slowly. Winter would be better and more beneficial for us anyways. If we do go I will post a follow up.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by flower
    Anyways the more she walks around outside on different materials barefooted the more variety of foods she will eat.

How do you figure something like that out?

I wonder if I should try that with my DD....

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Really I do not have any solid data to make this proclamation. However, it has been pretty extreme differences. In OT she has this plastic boards with little bubble ridges. Even after walking on those, at night she eats foods that normally she does not eat. The first time it happened which was a year ago, she ate pizza with artichokes and chicken. I also have to qualify it, the foods she eats on the “barefoot” days do not stay with us. She has a pretty limited staple diet. She will break out and eat something atypical… I see that as progress. I also should say that the reason she wanted and was willing to walk outside barefoot, was to copy her big teen sister and sister’s friend. I could never have made it happen without that wonderful influence….

F
    flower Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    We have made arrangements to go to the Star Center Foundation. We will be leaving beginning of November... It has taken a long time to put it all together. As for the last post in this series that I wrote about the food and giving her sensory stimulating things first, I actually have now read an article given to me from the Star Foundation that confirms this notion. I believe that the theory is that it makes the eating less sensory overwhelming since it is less than that what has occurred prior to eating.

We are going both for the sensory processing and the eating program they have. We learned that eating is a bilateral process. I understand this to mean that half the tongue is controlled by one side of the brain and the other half is controlled by the other half. She has bilateral movement issues. This can cause problems eating such as choking or having a hard time moving the food to the back of the throat. So then she makes up stories to help her understand why she has this hard time with food, such as "I do not like that food" That has been one of our concerns as her repertoire of food intake seems to not have grown and at times even shrunk. Anyways another update here. Hope it helps anyone with struggles. I would post the articles but I do not know how.
    If there are people who want to do a playdate at a museum or something in Nov. send me a pm.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations