Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #131075 06/02/12 08:39 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I have heard there are ceilings on primary MAP and I have heard there are not ceilings. Does anyone know? I have DS6's breakdown on his spring math scores. His computation subtest score is 242. I am wondering if he hit that ceiling.

His sub test scores are (all kindergarten scores)
    winter 2011 spring 2011
    188 205 algebra
    217 242 computation
    187 210 measurement & geometry
    194 218 number sense
    199 198 problem solving
    192 191 statistics and probability

overall score 206

frannieandejsmom #131081 06/02/12 10:28 AM
    I'm guessing not, since aggregate MAP scores go well above 242, and in any event his ability to do computation will be limited by what he's able to do conceptually. Let's say a hypothetical youngster hadn't been exposed to long division, or division at all as a concept; he wouldn't be able to be tested on his computation ability with division, would he?

I guess that one could "ceiling" in computation by getting none wrong in all conceptually mastered areas, and none right in any other areas (to avoid the testing program assuming that some of the errors were due to computation failures). Maybe that's what happened with your DS-- there were types of questions he got 100% correct with no calculation or other faults, but the rest of the categories of questions were sharply delineated where he got 100% wrong-- but it's impossible for me to draw that conclusion.

I tried looking up "computation" in the documents I have on the NWEA MAP, as I suspect you might've already, but found nothing helpful.

That's a big bump from winter to spring in computation; was he doing lots of drills for the second half of the year? Is that your concern, that he's being asked to spend too much time on drills?

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    frannieandejsmom #131090 06/02/12 12:17 PM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I don't think he is doing drills at school and I know he isn't at home. We finished singapore 2b and are half way through 3a now. I was just curious as I have heard yes there is and no there isn't a ceiling. I am not sure what exactly the sub tests tell me. I was surprised problem solving was as low as it was because he LOVES word problems and does them quite quickly.

I guess I am just curious

Thank you, Iucounu

Sheila

frannieandejsmom #131092 06/02/12 12:31 PM
    C
    C
    my district has informed me that there is no ceiling on this test. the only ceiling you would have would be concepts not yet introduced. DD7, last year, got caught up in area and perimeter. He was tested on them and the school happily told me that he got them wrong. I asked if the concept had been introduced, they said no. so I explained to him , once, what perimeter is, tried to show him on Khan Academy (he wasn't interested, I got it mom) and can answer it correctly.
    here is a sample DesCartes page that I found which should help you assess the 50% proficiency range associated with the numbers correlating on the MAP results.

http://www.wall.k12.nj.us/map/documents/RIT_Math.pdf

callie

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years