Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #129305 05/08/12 09:33 PM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My son was tested (neuro psych testing) with the public school system right before he turned 5 (we were in private school at the time).

He's now 7 in a public charter school. We finally had an IEP for gifted/ADHD this school year (I had been asking for over a year for one). I mentioned to the diagnostician and the SpEd teacher that I'd like to get him re-tested since he was so young when he was originally tested and also because he hadn't been diagnosed with his ADHD at the time.

They told me that they would re-test him in the Spring (now). However, I have since been told that they're not going to re-test him since (1) he is already identified as gifted, (2) he is "in service" and (3) the state doesn't require re-testing.

What are your thoughts on re-testing? Should I pursue it further?

kd976 #129315 05/09/12 05:31 AM
    A
    A
    It is my understanding that you can request testing every two years. I'd write a letter and send it to the screening committee and special ed chair at your school requesting new testing for updated developmental markers and better placement and accommodation strategies. Putting it in writing sets the clock ticking, and they'll likely drag their feet but will have to legally address your request.

Another option is to make an appointment with a local psychologist who deals with adolescent ADHD. Almost all insurances will pay for the initial screening, and during that visit let the psychologist know you'd like updated testing for the same reasons as well as better treatment options for his ADHD. They can make a request and see whether the insurance will approve the testing. If so, it might be a better route, because the tester will be independent.

Good luck! (and thanks for all your advice on my own kiddo back when I was asking!)

kd976 #129316 05/09/12 05:32 AM
    You will need to check the regulations for your state. Here, the retesting is required every three years unless there is a significant change in the child's status. For my dd, we were able to get retesting at 1 year when we discovered that she had absence seizure activity, so once she was "stabalized" with medication, retesting was warrented. So I would think that if you changed your approach since the ADHD diagnosis (added meds, behavior plan, etc.) that would be a significant change in your child's status.
    Good luck!

kd976 #130120 05/21/12 05:29 PM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks ABQMom!!! I'll talk to his psychologist when we see him next week to see if he has any advice. The SpEd teacher and the Diagnostician at our school said that the state law has changed with respects to gifted neuropsych evals. Now, once they're identified, they don't have to be re-tested because you never lose your giftedness...

True, however, he was 4 and not on ADHD meds when the original test was taken, and now I'd like to know how being 3 years older and on meds has helped/hindered/etc. him.

Thanks Mamabear, that's exactly why I wanted to get him re-tested!!

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't asking too much.

School year here is almost over, so I'm going to see what I can do outside the school system or wait until the Fall. Ugh.

kd976 #130725 05/29/12 08:26 PM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Here's the answer I (finally) got from the local diagnostician:

"...we don’t reevaluate students once they are identified as gifted. Many times the scores will decline and then they do not meet the criteria. If you want testing for other reasons (suspected disability) then that could be done but I am not sure we would redo the cognitive test. Since you are attending a school in Albuquerque it is the responsibility of APS to complete the evaluation. Additional information from you and the teachers would help to determine what testing would need to be completed..."

As I said before, he was so young before and had not been diagnosed/medicated for ADHD at the time.

Thoughts? Should I push to get the test done again?

kd976 #130726 05/29/12 08:48 PM
    A
    A
    There are two benefits to private - they don't have any ties to the school, and thus no perceived agenda that might be present in a school-employed diagnostician, and the results are private. If your insurance will cover it, I would highly recommend private so that you don't have to share the results with the school if the scoring isn't what you hoped for.

kd976 #130950 06/01/12 08:10 AM
    K
    kd976 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks! I have been in contact with the psychologist I PM'd you about, we're "meeting" via skype in a few weeks. She said she does those evaluations and comes up to ABQ often. I'm interested to see what she says since she & her husband both specialize in working with gifted kids.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations