Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #130540 05/27/12 07:02 AM
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My DS4 starts this with his OT this week. Anyone have any experience with it?

D
    D
    My son has been in OT for SPD, namely tactile defensiveness. We also do the brushing protocol and have seen dramatic improvements. It is difficult to schedule the time to brush five and six times daily, so we usually only brush twice per day. The OT and brushing have made a tremendous difference with our son. He is almost symptomatic after six months of OT and daily brushing. Best of luck to you.

V
    V
    Hi,
    We did the Wilbarger brushing protocol, combined with joint compressions when my DS was 4. I did find it helped calm him. In fact he still likes me to do the joint compressions on him now when he cant sleep (he is 12 now, was identified as having sensory integration problems by an OT when he was 4, and more recently was dx with adhd-inattentive).

W
    W
    It did wonders for Bear's tantrums. You really do have to stick to the timing though and that takes some getting used to. We were doing it every 2 hours or so and kept that up for about three months.

My eg/pg ds6 had ot for 5 yrs. He was born with severe SID so we did the brushing from about a year to 2.5/3 yrs old on and off. It helped us with the severe tactile, sensory defensive, and attentional issues.

I'm wondering now whether we should renew it again for the calming factor. The trick, though, is that you've got to use the brush in a certain way otherwise it can aggravate the situation. There's a knack to it.

We did it when DS was 3 and 4. The positive effects from it last only a couple of hours, so it needs to be done frequently. We could do it at home, but it wasn't done regularly at school...even in the autism school DS was attending at that time.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Anyone know of a good video that shows the correct way to do it? Our OT came over yesterday and she did the brushing first, then the compressions. She showed me how and gave me a handout. I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Maybe it was a coincidence but yesterday after the protocol he had the best OT day ever.

Originally Posted by KJP
    Maybe it was a coincidence but yesterday after the protocol he had the best OT day ever.

It wasn't coincidence, it really helps immediately!

We still do the joint compressions, my son asks for them daily.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    We are only on day two and I am really seeing some improvement. We had a party tonight at our house with lots of people. The best way I think I can describe it was that rather than intense he was dialed down just a bit to pleasantly exuberant.

W
    W
    Yay! That's wonderful to hear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets