Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: KJP Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/27/12 02:02 PM
My DS4 starts this with his OT this week. Anyone have any experience with it?
Posted By: Denvermom Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/27/12 04:14 PM
My son has been in OT for SPD, namely tactile defensiveness. We also do the brushing protocol and have seen dramatic improvements. It is difficult to schedule the time to brush five and six times daily, so we usually only brush twice per day. The OT and brushing have made a tremendous difference with our son. He is almost symptomatic after six months of OT and daily brushing. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: Verona Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/28/12 03:02 AM
Hi,
We did the Wilbarger brushing protocol, combined with joint compressions when my DS was 4. I did find it helped calm him. In fact he still likes me to do the joint compressions on him now when he cant sleep (he is 12 now, was identified as having sensory integration problems by an OT when he was 4, and more recently was dx with adhd-inattentive).
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/29/12 04:51 AM
It did wonders for Bear's tantrums. You really do have to stick to the timing though and that takes some getting used to. We were doing it every 2 hours or so and kept that up for about three months.
Posted By: 75west Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/29/12 12:16 PM
My eg/pg ds6 had ot for 5 yrs. He was born with severe SID so we did the brushing from about a year to 2.5/3 yrs old on and off. It helped us with the severe tactile, sensory defensive, and attentional issues.

I'm wondering now whether we should renew it again for the calming factor. The trick, though, is that you've got to use the brush in a certain way otherwise it can aggravate the situation. There's a knack to it.
Posted By: Kate Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/30/12 11:19 AM
We did it when DS was 3 and 4. The positive effects from it last only a couple of hours, so it needs to be done frequently. We could do it at home, but it wasn't done regularly at school...even in the autism school DS was attending at that time.
Posted By: KJP Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/30/12 04:26 PM
Anyone know of a good video that shows the correct way to do it? Our OT came over yesterday and she did the brushing first, then the compressions. She showed me how and gave me a handout. I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Maybe it was a coincidence but yesterday after the protocol he had the best OT day ever.
Posted By: Kate Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 05/31/12 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by KJP
Maybe it was a coincidence but yesterday after the protocol he had the best OT day ever.

It wasn't coincidence, it really helps immediately!

We still do the joint compressions, my son asks for them daily.
Posted By: KJP Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 06/01/12 05:35 AM
We are only on day two and I am really seeing some improvement. We had a party tonight at our house with lots of people. The best way I think I can describe it was that rather than intense he was dialed down just a bit to pleasantly exuberant.
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 06/03/12 04:56 AM
Yay! That's wonderful to hear.
Posted By: Mamabear Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 06/03/12 05:51 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9LSbINc-y0
Posted By: KJP Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 06/06/12 12:06 AM
Mamabear, thank you for the link. It was very helpful. Our son's babysitter was more comfortable being able to watch and rewatch the protocol to keep up with the schedule.
Posted By: Mamabear Re: Wilbarger brushing protocol - 06/06/12 12:28 AM
You're welcome. Happy to help when I can!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum