Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 349 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm looking for a psychologist in metro Hartford area, who specialize in 2E kids.
    Thanks

I'd suggest contacting Dr. Lovecky is in Providence, RI and is regarded as a top expert on 2E kids. She runs the New England Resource Center (http://www.grcne.com/). We're on the waitlist to see her, though we live north of Boston.

Have you read her book, Different Minds?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks for the reply.
    No, I've not read that book.
    Do you know how much she charges for testing?

Dr. Lovecky told me that she's a couple of hundred for the first visit with the first set of tests being about a couple of hundred. It can increase from then on and can be costly. It really depends, however, on how much you need to see Dr. Lovecky and how much testing you may need or what you need. She's got a 6-month+ list.

With us, we had testing done last summer when our son was 5.5 years old by a local center. But our son wasn't cooperative. The tests were inconclusive and raised many more questions than I bargained. They also lumbered us with diagnoses which I don't think he has.

In hindsight, I wish I had contacted Dr. Lovecky first and paid the money to see her rather than going to someone locally, who didn't know what they were doing even though they claimed to have experience with 2e kids or eg/pg kids. In fairness, Dr. Lovecky's probably got a lot more experience dealing with a child like my son and with his background than anyone else around.

I think Dr. Lovecky and Aimee Yermish deal with similar populations. However, Dr. Lovecky's been studying 2e and pg kids for over 25 years and, as a result, has probably got a lot more experience.

I found this list on psychologist list from Hoagies:
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm - there's some at Yale and Madison

I like Susan Berry, Ph.D.
    799 Hebron Avenue
    Second Floor
    Glastonbury, CT 06033
    860-633-3006
    for gifted and highly gifted
    (not sure how she is with 2E - Loveky and Yermish are amazing with multiexceptionalities)

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Maplepark - sorry to go offtopic, but I just met some teachers from the Renzulli Gifted & Talented Academy - Hartford Public Schools
    www.hartfordschools.org/schools/Renzulli.php
    The mission of The Renzulli Academy isto instill in academically talented and high potential youth a lifelong desire to learn and excel and to develop their ...

Have you talked to anyone there yet?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello Grinity,

No, I've not talked to anyone at Renzulli.

My son was tested in school when he was in 4th grade & report does say that he is on high functioning autistic spectrum. I've very strong feeling that it might be a misdiagnosis, that is why I want to get it done privately.

I'm thinking about contacting Susan Berry. Do you have idea how much she charges?

I will also apply for Davidson Young Scholar. His 7th grade SAT score are just in & that makes him eligible.
    Math 670
    CR 620
    Writing 530
    Essay 6

Great news on the SAT scores! Good luck with Susan Berry (I don't know what her fees are like.)

Another alternative is to wait and see if your son gets accepted to YSP and see if one of their consultants will do a 'chart review' and shed some light on the 'yes AS, no AS' question.

It's hard to balance limited money vs. usefulness of private testing. If you want to brainstorm exactly what you hope to get out of private testing here, we may be able to help put it in perspective.

Like - why do you want to know if he is high AS or low normal in his social function? What real life decisions are you faced with that an evaluation might help with?

Good luck,
    Grinity

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM